Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Gustav, Ike, And Paloma

Posted
Retirement

On April 22, 2009, at the 31st Session of the World Meteorological Organization's Regional Association IV Hurricane Committee, the WMO retired the names Gustav, Ike, and Paloma from its rotating name lists. The names were replaced with Gonzalo, Isaias, and Paulette

so 3 systems have been retired in the Atlantic

and Alma in the EPAC was retired, replaced with Amanda.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I'm quite surprised Hanna wasn't retired as it was the deadliest storm, however Gordon in 1990 killed 1,100 in the same area and wasn't retired due to poor infrastructure being blamed for the deaths. I'm not entirely sure why Paloma was retired, it caused 1 death but Dolly caused 22 and caused more damage. I suppose Cuba put in a request for Paloma to be retired and Texas didn't for Dolly? Who knows? I understand Gustav and Ike being retired though.

Alma did the most damage in the East Pac, but Norbert and Lowell killed more yet they survived. I think the retirement process is a very odd one indeed really!

Posted
yup I agree with you.

the replacement names ain't great either

Agreed. Though Amanda isn't bad for the East Pac.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
the replacement names ain't great either

I wonder what the name is of the person in the WMO that ultimately decides the new names?

If it were me, I'd have used Gregory, Idris and Penny. And Colin...... I'm sorry..... no hurricane should be called Colin. Brutus would be a good one, perhaps Voldemort?

Posted

There's been a Hurricane Greg on the Pacific list, Google couldn't come up with a Hurricane Idris or a Hurricane Penny.

Posted

Why wasn't Hannah retired thats strange? These strange people.

We need a Hurricane Sammie, lets se which one could cause more trouble. :D

Posted

you're right sammie

At least 537 deaths were reported (the final death toll will likely never be known), mostly due to flooding in the northern part of Haiti, making it the deadliest tropical cyclone in the Atlantic basin since Hurricane Stan in 2005, and the deadliest storm of the season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hanna_(2008)

Posted
you're right sammie

If I remember rightly though I did have Glandular Fever then and was sick in bed haha, I don't remember Hannah getting anywhere near the press coverage that Ike and Gustav is. Could it be something to do with how well they are going to stick in the publics mind? After all those two arn't going to be forgotten but for some reason Hannah just doesn't "stick out" even with the damage it did.

Posted
only 7 deaths in the USA, which is still 7 to many. also it passed through the usa very fast.

how do they decide what names get retired or is it just a whim?

"I do not like this name, we shall not have that one again."

Posted
Why wasn't Hannah retired thats strange? These strange people.

We need a Hurricane Sammie, lets se which one could cause more trouble. :clap:

As I said above, Gordon in 1990 which killed 1,100 in the same country wasn't retired, due to poor infrastructure being blamed for the deaths. I expect the same has occured here. Still, it seems very harsh to me.

you're not the only one, me and somerset couldn't work it out we where both baffled

I know the reason why, I just don't agree with the ethics of it.

If I remember rightly though I did have Glandular Fever then and was sick in bed haha, I don't remember Hannah getting anywhere near the press coverage that Ike and Gustav is. Could it be something to do with how well they are going to stick in the publics mind? After all those two arn't going to be forgotten but for some reason Hannah just doesn't "stick out" even with the damage it did.

Probably because the effects on the USA weren't huge. Sadly, the storms that kill elsewhere don't get half the media coverage (unless truly exceptional cases like Cyclone Nargis (but even this didn't have quite so much coverage)) as USA landfalling storms. 550 dead in USA? Would have been retired without a second thought, I agree.

Posted
I know the reason why, I just don't agree with the ethics of it.

Probably because the effects on the USA weren't huge. Sadly, the storms that kill elsewhere don't get half the media coverage (unless truly exceptional cases like Cyclone Nargis (but even this didn't have quite so much coverage)) as USA landfalling storms. 550 dead in USA? Would have been retired without a second thought, I agree.

You know I was thinking about the ethics behind it, and at least to me its appalling. They should have retired the name out of respect for the people who died, though of course it’s a poor country that people don’t really care about, hence its been left in service.

If 550 had died in the USA we would never have heard the end of it, huge press coverage all over the world for the next 50 years on the anniversary. It’s just depressing to think that there is such bias.

Never the less I’m shutting up now or I’m going to go on a rant and explode everywhere and irritate people.