Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Day 5

Paul Sherman

Posted

Hi Guys

Started the day in Childress with an Initial Chase Target of Enid (Ok) but on route it was apparant that an Outflow Boundary was located near a Meso Low near to Woodward so I stopped the Team at Weatherford to grab some more Data. Then drove back West and went about 25 Miles North of Clinton and Observed Building CU To our West. Finally the Cap was Busted just 10 Miles to our SW At 745pm. This gave us about 45 Minutes to get a Tornado on this Supercell. Drove back South and then took the West road to be under the Base, by the time I got there the Structure was taking the Shape of a Classic Supercell with Beavers Tail and Inflow Bands from the South East. Stopped about 1 Mile from the Rotating Mesocyclone and Wall Cloud which tried to produce, then witnessed 2 Funnel Clouds before a Hail Core with 3" Stones started to batter the Teams Position.

So located South and then watched as the Meso marched towards us. No one Observed a Tornado with this Storm but a few funnels were formed, quite proud to be the very 1st Chaser on this Supercell but after we had been on it for 30 Minutes the Chaser Circus Caught Up :lol:

A very Productive Day for the Team and Pat (dogs) will Upload some Lightning Pics and John will Upload the Hail Video and Meso with Wall Cloud from a High Point.

post-24-1241157599_thumb.jpg - The Arapaho Supercell

post-24-1241157626_thumb.jpg - Classic Supercell Structure

post-24-1241157661_thumb.jpg - Spider Lightning

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Not a bad start to the tour. I bet you're all very happy.

Posted

some great pics there Pat and Paul. looks like there will be a good chance of even more stunning shots to come :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Great stuff, you were well positioned once again. Hope you find a tornado later today ...

Posted
More great photos - wish I was free to join the last week

cheers sloopy...maf...and Nick..wait to you see the daring escape from an approaching twister.though you dont see it..watch the mayhem unfold...truly frightening experience

will put up soon...24-48 hrs time

Edited by dogs32

Posted

My local news station here is Sydney has just run a story on storm chasers getting caught out by a tornado in Plainview Texas. Looked great. Wish I was chasing with you guys.

Posted
My local news station here is Sydney has just run a story on storm chasers getting caught out by a tornado in Plainview Texas. Looked great. Wish I was chasing with you guys.

we watched them storms all merge and explode...lightning was around 6-8 per second...sky was something out of hell....

Posted

Dogs you must be a happy bunny... erm I mean puppy, with those shots! like a dream eh?!

Paul that last shot looked rather close?!

Posted
Dogs you must be a happy bunny... erm I mean puppy, with those shots! like a dream eh?!

Paul that last shot looked rather close?!

thx louby.im in dream land truly.i have around 40 gig of footage.....very happy BUT...i didnt realise how scary and dangerouse these things are.NO YOU TUBE CLIP can give the true Evil and beauty of these storms...truly AWSOME..words cannot describe what we ahve witnessed in 4 days

Posted

Well if you are too scared to stay we can always swap you know :lol: :)

I bet the noise is just unbelieveble

Posted

A few more pics...

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

We mounted the data card up there to get coverage where there was none. He He

IMG_3190.jpg

Stu looke like he's enjoying taking photos of a developing supercell. I think he was doing a time lapse.

IMG_3206.jpg

Nice Structure

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

Arapaho supercell lightning after dark.

Posted

Pah, we've had loads more funnels and thunderstorms off Eastbourne this week than you have..... :)

Posted

Love that picture of Stu lol. I love that you guys include humour pictures as well as the main weather pictures LOLOL.

Posted

Ahhhhhhhh the blow up doll that I saw on the live streaming the other night! thought I was asleep and having nightmares, obviously I wasn't!

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

More great pictures!

What I like most about the storm chasing is watching for the small cumulus that bubble and boil up and start throwing masses of thunderheads/anvils outwards as the storms start erupting. Then into the eventual stunning mothership clouds and all the energy that is displaced in terms of the CG's hail and hopefully funnels, tornado's etc

When the team have picked a good initiation spot you can enjoy the whole process unfold live as well as anticipating hopefully the excitement of a spectacular end product. Can only try to imagine what it must feel like to actually be there!!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Another great set of images from what was nearly going to end up being the first .........(i wont say it incase i jinx today's potential) :unsure: .. A few of us watched last night right up until around 1-1:30ish(uk time) when it kicked off and jeez the speed in which it shot up within 30-40mins it was a classic raging supercell spitting out lightning like it was going out of fashion. I'd also like to thank you all for thinking about us 'poor' folk at home, great idea.....

I have a feeling today's set of photos may contain something special. :D:) ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

More great pics, guys. Does the dummy smile whilst being inflated? :unsure:

Posted
More great pics, guys. Does the dummy smile whilst being inflated? :unsure:

I think it'll depend on:-

One where the valve is located and secondly who's doing the blowing!!!