Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 10

Paul Sherman

Posted

Started the day in Drizzle and 55f Temps in Childress and todays forecast was always going to be challenging, but in the end we nailed the only Supercell of the Day in Texas namely the Breckenridge Storm. After having lunch in Aspermont with a horde of chasers it became apparant we needed to get east fast, and on route to Throckmorton the 1st Cell fired just west of Breckenridge, this cell left the boundary and promptly died, this played to our advantage as a huge top rocketed up to 40,000ft just to our West, so we waited and this cell was to be the main player of the day. We watched as this went from a yellow blob on the radar to a huge 4" Hail producer. The roads were very kind to us and we had a stair stepping South and East road which was good as the Supecell did a huge right turn and started to head SSE. At times we had Rotation on the road in front of us and just to our North, I took a few calculated risks but we were always in the Rotation markers for about 50 miles until it crossed I20 In front of us. This cell put down at least 4 funnels that we saw but alas no Tornado.

Ended up taking some Lightning pics as the Storm moved away.

Info for Guests on Tour 2 - Doghouse (Car2) Took a Softball Hailstone today and the Crater in the Car in Amazing

post-24-1241588332_thumb.jpg - Funnel Cloud Forming and moving straight at us

post-24-1241588367_thumb.jpg - Pretty Neat of the Moon and the Updraught Lit up by Lightning

post-24-1241588653_thumb.jpg - Getting the Team as Close as Possible to the Action

post-24-1241590040_thumb.png - :blush: Told you we were Close

Paul S

Posted

great pics am enjoying your coverage of this years storm chase thanks to you and the team. what your early thoughts on tomorrows chances

Posted

A few more pics from the day...

IMG_3375.jpg

Ian was bored with the GPS

IMG_3377.jpg

In trouble with the law AGAIN

IMG_3387.jpg

Right in the core

IMG_3391.jpg

Pat was having the craic!

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

Some nice lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Top notch photos again folks.

Lightning photos are truly amazing. You ain't missed anything here.... unless you like cloudy windy weather.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Stunning pics there guys, best lightning and cloud photos I've seen on any of the N-W tours.

Posted

Lovely shots again - good result for what was essentially a 'bust' in terms of the forecast potential. Analysing it seems the intrusion of a cooler layer at 700mb didn't arrive to coincide with maximum heating so the cap was tougher to crack than forecast.

Action over the nxt few days seems focussed further east - will you play with it?

Posted

Thanks for your replies guys, we really have been treated to some amazing displays this year, but one thing I have learnt and this is probably as a result of Aurora last year which actually changed me as a chaser you have to be really close to the base and rotation if you want to get the money shots.

Regarding the next few days, the changeover day is Friday which has a risk of Severe for the guys getting off the Plane for Tour 2, so if it is chaseable then we will go for it on Friday Evening. The next 2 days and last 2 days of Tour 1 look like Risks in some parts of Texas so we will obviously stay close to base and see how it pans out. Will look over the Models tomorrow Morning to see just how far east the Risk is.

Edit : Tomorrow may be a down day but looking over the Models has drawn my Attention to a Great Chance of Tornadoes on Thursday across Central Oklahoma with 5,000jkg of Cape and Extreme Instability. That certainly would be Chaseable for a return to DFW On Friday.

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Some more stunning photos there. What a shame that the storm didn't quite produce a tube, however the supercell in itself looks like a true magnificent beast.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
IMG_8158.jpg

Great pics, all of them again

But that pic is just awesome!! :doh:

Posted
Edit : Tomorrow may be a down day but looking over the Models has drawn my Attention to a Great Chance of Tornadoes on Thursday across Central Oklahoma with 5,000jkg of Cape and Extreme Instability. That certainly would be Chaseable for a return to DFW On Friday.

Paul S

Your problem may once again be a stout looking cap, Paul. If those 700mb temps can drop a notch or two below -10 you'll be in business given the very favourable slew of parameters, especially an insane looking CAPE.

Posted

Thanks for your replies guys, we really have been treated to some amazing displays this year, but one thing I have learnt and this is probably as a result of Aurora last year which actually changed me as a chaser you have to be really close to the base and rotation if you want to get the money shots.

Regarding the next few days, the changeover day is Friday which has a risk of Severe for the guys getting off the Plane for Tour 2, so if it is chaseable then we will go for it on Friday Evening. The next 2 days and last 2 days of Tour 1 look like Risks in some parts of Texas so we will obviously stay close to base and see how it pans out. Will look over the Models tomorrow Morning to see just how far east the Risk is.

Hi Paul just wondering if this concurs with your saftey idea's

http://www.accuweather.com/news-weather-fe...s.asp?#extremes

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Cool shots! , what happened with the law side of things lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I don't know which one to use for my desktop background, there are too many stunning photos!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I don't know which one to use for my desktop background, there are too many stunning photos!

Absolutley, I couldnt agree more, absolutley stunning photo's from the team :D

Posted

Amazing photos guys, love the cloud lit from inside looks like it is on fire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Brilliant pics again. I'm going green! :D

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Get close..!! thats what i like to hear... :D Watch the LV/stream all night and the stream didn't do those late evening photos any justice as you could barely see the explosiveness of the lightning illuminating the whole cell, glad you took the time and effort for those shots to show us what it was really like.... stunning..!!!

I hope team 1 have the pleasure of witnessing their 1st 'proper' tornado before they return back to the UK on Friday..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Today was spectacular . We sat under that cell as it developed. As it exploded into a supercell we were there to watch it and travelled along with it nearly every inch of the way. virtually always in and around the area of rotation. One of todays highlights was resetting the warning message on Baron. As we closed in on the area of rotation the Barons did the warning in the voice of Dogs 32 "Paul is it rotating? Paul I can see rotation. Paul I think it is rotating" I have it on video. It has now been reset but was extremely funny/

Posted

Hi Tom, glad you guys had a great day, some good stuff there, today looks like all of a mcs this morning so we are gona blow north into Ok get to Ardmore on i35 and look again, maybe looking and Ks for tomorrow so gona kill some miles. take care all.

Steve and Martin

Posted
Hi Tom, glad you guys had a great day, some good stuff there, today looks like all of a mcs this morning so we are gona blow north into Ok get to Ardmore on i35 and look again, maybe looking and Ks for tomorrow so gona kill some miles. take care all.

Steve and Martin

Hi Steve & Martin

Yeah we are not going to play with the MCS Either and Head North up the I35 Into Oklahoma as well, maybe go to a State National Park for some Rest and then see if Thursday plays out.

Regarding the Cop from Haskell County, He was another great guy who pulled up and chatted to us about the Uk, President Obama, and all things that are bad about Storm Chasers running people off the road on High Risk days etc He even pulled Reed Timmer last Friday when it was like a Circus in his Warning Area.

Apart from the Plainview Tornado/Storm which cut us off last Wednesday there really has not been one Picture of a Tornado apart from the Rule Tornado that we got on any Forum so they have been pretty scarce. But the Lightning and Structure has more than made up for this.

Paul S

Posted
Great pics, all of them again

But that pic is just awesome!! :clap:

well thanks....Im proud of this shot....

I have a lovely rope funnel on video somewhere.

its rotating up in the clouds

.If i find it will post it up on netwether tv

Edited by dogs32

Posted
well thanks....Im proud of this shot....

I have a lovely rope funnel on video somewhere.

its rotating up in the clouds

.If i find it will post it up on netwether tv

Some seriously good photos from the trip so far, well done mate, good to see you have got such great shots, hopefully a few more yet. :clap: