Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Beachy Head & The South Downs

Posted

Hi all,

I decided to head to the Sussex coast on Bank Holiday Monday. Weather was rather disappointing admittedly, with a bitterly cold and strong wind. It was quite misty, murky and began to rain quite heavily as i left around mid-afternoon. Anyway, the three main places i visited were Beachy Head, Cuckmere Haven (drove past in car) and the Long Man of Wilmington.

Here's the general view looking to the west along the coastline of Beachy Head.

image1-1.png

Hmm now the interesting bit - the sudden steep drop to the icy cold sea water, with nothing there to prevent the inevitable :) :o ... But don't worry, they've put a sign there to inform you in case you fall off :)

image2-1.png

The view of Eastbourne from the top of Beachy Head (looking east):

image3-1.png

The Visitor Centre...

image4-1.png

...where i found this exhibit which is apparently a wasp's nest found in the attic of a nearby house!! :o :o (about the size of 2 footballs!)

image5-1.png

Some more scenery, including the only narrow windy road that connects Beachy Head to the main A259 road:

image6-1.png

And a photo of the Beachy Head light house, next to a fantastic sheet of chalk - but just look at that drop! Nothing to stop you stumbling there! :o :o

image7-1.png

I then decided to drive along the coastline to the Estuary of the River Cuckmere (Cuckmere Haven) which is home to the Seven Sisters Country Park. I met a massive traffic queue on top of a hill overlooking the estuary, and managed to take this shot of the winding meanders of the Cuckmere through a wire fence:

image8-1.png

Edit: just spotted Coast has posted a closer picture of Cuckmere Haven here

I believe there are plans to flood this area and make it a permanent reservoir? :lol:

Final stop on the way home was The Long Man of Wilmington, painted on the north side of the South Downs (inland side) overlooking the small village of Wilmington. Apparently, the 'man' will appear in correct proportion to the human body if viewed from the village, but if viewing the 'man' from above he will appear very long in length, hence it's name:

image9-1.png

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Ahhh home!

Thanks for sharing MW! :bomb:

Posted

Great pics MW, you can't beat the UK coastline for natural beauty, thanks for sharing.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Nice set of pictures you have there maidstone Weather,

I particularly like the lighthouse and the white cliff shot Excellent,

thanks for sharing

nigel