Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Experience

Paul Sherman

Posted

The following reply will be from Tammy (Aunt Sally) And will include her Personal Experience from this Years Storm Chase On Tour 1. We have all enjoyed Tammy's Company and Will be Sad to see her leave tomorrow. :blush:

Paul S

**The Stage is Yours Tammy**

Posted

Thank you Paul :)

Well, here I am at the end of my Tour, tomorrow we head to DFW so I can catch my flight back to the UK :blush: To say that I am going to miss everyone is an understatement.

This was a trip of a lifetime for me and when I won the competition with NetWeather last year I was so excited I had to be brought down from the ceiling!! I didn't really know what to expect from storm chasing but these past 2 weeks has just been amazing and something I will never forget.

However the main reason I have had such a great time is because of the team who have been out here with me, So I would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to Paul, Tom, John, Ian, Pat and Danny for answering my daft questions, making me laugh and making me part of the group - you're all the best and I am going to miss you all :blush:

I have seen some amazing storms, lightening, supercells and tornadoes. I have also been lucky enough to see America and meet some of the most kind and friendly people I have ever met. This is my first trip to America and I will definetley be coming back!

Highlights for me was - Supercell at Paduca, the fantastic lightening show at Childress, Supercell at Breckenridge, Pat doing the 72oz steak challenge, Cow Camp but everything else was very high on the scale too! I have seen skies that have made my jaw drop and watching a supercell form from nothing is something I will never forget. All in all it has been phenomenal!!

If you have ever thought about coming storm chasing, all I can say is you will have so much fun and see mother nature at her best. Also if you are female and have always wanted to go storm chasing but were worried about coming out with a bunch of blokes I would say don't let that put you off. They will absolutely look after you, keep you safe and make you part of the group.

I am now officially a storm chaser and am addicted to storms:) I will definetly be back out here with the team in the future - I probably should check with my husband first though!!

I hope that you have enjoyed reading/watching about Tour 1 as much as I have enjoyed being part of it. Thank you again to NetWeather for giving me this opportunity.

Good Luck to everyone on Tour 2 and Tour 3 - I hope you get to loads of storms and tornadoes. :p

Off to pack my bag now!

Tammy

Posted

Who's gonna keep the lads in check now?? :D

Glad you had a super time Tammy.. :)

Posted

I know exactly how you feel - and believe me, if you don't manage to go again next year it will be excruciating :)

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Posted

Lovely sentiments, Tammy. And I would wholeheartedly agree with them after my storm chasing experience last year.

I'm having withdrawal symptoms following this year's action, but it makes for great reading - and watching, now I can get the video streaming too. It makes me feel like I'm back there again.

Good luck to the guys on Tour 2. I hope you all have as much fun as Tammy and the others on Tour 1, and as much as I did last year.

Cheers

Peter

Posted

Tammy you were an absolute legend and I know the lads will miss you big time (me too)! Glad you got back OK. Watching the live streaming right now, kinda weird being on the other side. :lol:

Posted
Tammy you were an absolute legend and I know the lads will miss you big time (me too)! Glad you got back OK. Watching the live streaming right now, kinda weird being on the other side. :lol:

Is that rotation Paul? I think I can see rotation. It is rotating Paul.

Pat shouldn't go out and leave his comp on.

Northern Monkey

Posted
Is that rotation Paul? I think I can see rotation. It is rotating Paul.

Pat shouldn't go out and leave his comp on.

Northern Monkey

:) Brilliant!! I do miss Pats enthusiam!! Thanks for all the lovely replies - it is very odd watching the chase from a computer rather than being there :) Good to hear the Tour 2 got a supercell on their first day though!

Tammy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Tammy, it's lovely to have you back. It was wonderful to read your posts while you were on your first chase. I wondered what it would be like to go away on your own and it's fantastic to hear how the guys looked out for you, as we knew they would. While it's great for people to go time and time again, I think it's brilliant to hear from someone first hand just how scary, brilliant, awe-inspiring those storms really are to someone who's never seen anything like that in their lives before. I felt like I was seeing it through your eyes when watching the live feeds/video clips - almost like being there myself.

I think I'd be scared witless and pumped up on adrenaline at the same time. It's something I would sooooooo love to do. I'm so glad you had such an ace time - the prize couldn't have gone to anyone better.

It was brilliant to read the posts from Dogs & Christ too - were you first timers too or had you been before.

Jo.xxx

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
Tammy, it's lovely to have you back. It was wonderful to read your posts while you were on your first chase. I wondered what it would be like to go away on your own and it's fantastic to hear how the guys looked out for you, as we knew they would. While it's great for people to go time and time again, I think it's brilliant to hear from someone first hand just how scary, brilliant, awe-inspiring those storms really are to someone who's never seen anything like that in their lives before. I felt like I was seeing it through your eyes when watching the live feeds/video clips - almost like being there myself.

I think I'd be scared witless and pumped up on adrenaline at the same time. It's something I would sooooooo love to do. I'm so glad you had such an ace time - the prize couldn't have gone to anyone better.

It was brilliant to read the posts from Dogs & Christ too - were you first timers too or had you been before.

Jo.xxx

It's something I'd love to experience as well with a group of chasers if finances and circumstances ever permitted.

I agree the accounts from the new chasers like Tammy and Dogs etc are the most exciting of all :p

Posted

Hi Jo, It was my second year this year. I have to say I found this year more exciting than last year. Its Pat's (dogs) first year. I found his enthusiasm infectious.

You couldnt chase with a better team than the Netweather guys.

Hi, its Danny, Glad your back ok Tammy and John, its been good chasing with you and good luck to Dogs32 or Rotation your enthusiasm is unbelievable because your lightning and supercell pictures are excellent. and everyone on Tour 2 and 3.

The tour as been a lot better than I expected because I didn’t expect to see so many storms tornado forming supercells and lightning that lasted for 5 hours. :)

We travel 3 thousand miles visiting 4 sates Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas. Hats of to Paul Sherman, John driving and Ian and Tom for directions and real time weather data form Barron’s and weather tap.

The hotels where top quality and we had lots of good food for example the Texas Steak House. We meet David Ewoldt he been a storm chaser all his live and has his pictures are in the National Geographic and runs okweatherwatch.com which has some unbelievable video and pictures of tornadoes. We also meet other storm chasers from the USA, UK, Europe and Australia. :)

I will be uploading my photos and video to the next few days.

Back to boring UK weather Danny. :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Dave Edwoldt is the nicest man you could ever meet and a chaser with vast experience, he's been doing it since the early 80s way before the advent of Barons and internet using mobile technology - so knows what he's looking for by just looking at the sky! Last year, with what he must of encountered over the years, even he was badly shaken up by our encounter at Aurora with 120 mph RFD winds wrapping around close to a EF2 tornado ... so it must have been serious what we rode out and what could have been a disaster! Plus we got him stuck in mud twice in Kansas - I'm suprised he doesn't think we are bad omen when we chase with him!

I'm so glad that team 1 will take away experiences that they will remember for a long time ... the Plains storms are truely something else compared to what we see here.

Posted

It must of been brilliant to meet and chase with a legend like Dave Edwoldt.

My kids know several 'pro' chasers by name, and often ask about the likes of David Drummond and Reed Timmer when I'm streaming live. They think Reed is an absolute nutcase. Probably not far wrong to be honest LOL.

Posted

Glad you enjoyed it Danny! It was a pleasure driving you around the Plains, sometimes the Season does not allow you to see the High Plains if the active Pattern is down South, there is so much more to see and thousands of Miles still to cover out here. We are now at 5,000 Miles for the trip so as the Pattern has calmed down so have the Miles, but if the next 2 days risks are anything to go by then the Milage should ramp up to near 7,000 by the end of the week!

Paul S

Tammy sounds like you had a great time and you are boosting the numbers of female chasers! :doh: I would just like to champion Dave Ewoldt also, I have chased with Dave most years since 2000 and the knowledge and stories he has passed on are not only legendary but priceless! Respect to him for the years he has committed to chasing.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by user700, February 2, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by user700, February 2, 2011 - No reason given

This is some of my video footage from storm chase tour 1. Sorry about the quality and sound there was a problem with my video camera. I will put more videos up soon.

Edited by wiganweather.com
Posted · Hidden by user700, February 2, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by user700, February 2, 2011 - No reason given

This is some of my video footage from storm chase tour 1. Sorry about the quality and sound there was a problem with my video camera. :lol: I will put more videos up soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

thanks......Danny and others for the comments......i havent posted recently because of my webook as problems..

i will write a full report when i get back of my account.......look forward to a curry and a cuppa...

truly had a good time here...... :)

from Northern Monkeys laptop.........

dogs32 :):):)

Posted
Tammy sounds like you had a great time and you are boosting the numbers of female chasers! :D I would just like to champion Dave Ewoldt also, I have chased with Dave most years since 2000 and the knowledge and stories he has passed on are not only legendary but priceless! Respect to him for the years he has committed to chasing.

Yer right there Lorrinee :D spoke to Dave on the phone just didnt make it over as we were pretty much on the go for the 16 days!!