Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 13

Paul Sherman

Posted

Started the day in Perry (Ok) after trying to get the Hotel affected by the Bow Echo from the night before (No Such Luck) Dropped off Tammy, John and Danny at DFW & Picked up Aine, Stewart, Bob, Gordon and Ross for the start of tour 2.

We got away from DFW & About 430pm and headed west to Intercept some Cells that had fired in Palo Pinto County. As we passed Weatherford we began to see some beautiful LP Sculptures in the Sky. The cells were struggling but as we crested a Hill somewhere near Gordon (Tx) a beautiful Funnel Cloud halfway to the ground was extending from the Flat Base of the LP Supercell, no wall cloud was noted and the cells looked a Tad Elevated so was surprised to see this so soon. After some pictures we decided to then go for the now developing Brownwood HP Beast and headed South on Highway 16 to Comanche.

post-24-1241851917_thumb.jpg - As we turned West from Comanche

On Turning West out of Comanche we rapidly approached at least 3 Wall Clouds under a very low Base with an orange Sky behind. Amazing Rotation was captured on Video but this could not put a Tornado Down. We were even at Brownwood Lake at the time the Weather Radio said the Tornado would be there, got the guys to within 1/4 Mile of the Southward moving Meso and let it chase us down the road until darkness. Ended the day at Weatherford (Tx)

post-24-1241851944_thumb.jpg - HP Striated Structure

The other guys have countless more Pics and Video of both the HP & LP Which will appear here later today

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

great stuff keep up the good work

Posted

Great start and great pictures hope it keeps up for you all. Looking forward to some more later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

great pics guys.....a perfect start to the new tour!......It was a real 'buzz' watching it all develop on radar last night as you left DFW...I'd been watching those cells develop along I20 for most of the evening, and they morphed into that monster over Brownwood!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I chased north of DFW and got onto 2 separate Tor Warned Supercells around Montague and Nocona. The first had a beautiful updraft and whilst structure was ok, it didn't really look as good as it did on the radar. The second storm was a strong right mover after dark. I positioned myself on HW103 south of the storm, and it produced a chunky funnel halfway to the ground illuminated only by lightning, before the RFD came around and obscured t. I pulled over to report this on spotter chat as the storm wasn't Tornado warned at the time but ended up getting stuck in the mud and the storm passed by to my east clobbering me with strong RFD winds and very heavy rain. It looked very close to producing at the time but I never saw any damage when following it's path later. A couple of local skywarn spotters gave me a push 10 minutes after the storm had passed so I wasn't stuck for long luckily. I'm just pretty glad it was a wet storm rather than a softball sized hail storm. I luckily could not confirm the 3" hail that GRLevel 3 was estimating at the time! :)

Pics to come Later. Unfortunately, I lost the last 5 mintutes of the video I recorded as it hadn't written it to the card when the camera ran out of battery. I hope I have some earlier footage of the funnel north of Nocona

Posted

Montague Supercell:

This is shot as I unpacked my wireless internet card fromt he hotel and started the chase. Cells were already going up east and north of Decatur

post-1731-1241885860_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1241885873_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1241885883_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1241885894_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1241885903_thumb.jpg

I've checked earlier footage of the Nocona storm and it does contain the formation of the funnel so not all is lost :) Here are some blurry low quality vid caps :)

Nocona Supercell:

post-1731-1241886535_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1241886541_thumb.jpg

post-1731-1241886547_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gorky

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Awesome shots !!! you can always tell when someone takes a better camera :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

What incredible photos....The 2nd pic of the Montague supercell is unbelievable, it truely looks as if all hell is about to let loose :) ...a monstrous storm!

Fantastic stuff gorky!

Posted

Have taken no2 for my rapidly changing backdrop, If that's OK with you ?

They are all great atmospheric shots, thank you very much.

I bet it's quite interesting, chasing alone. No arguments about where to go etc. 100% focus on the chase, no distractions.

Keep your head down and your wits about you. Good luck.

Posted
Have taken no2 for my rapidly changing backdrop, If that's OK with you ?

They are all great atmospheric shots, thank you very much.

I bet it's quite interesting, chasing alone. No arguments about where to go etc. 100% focus on the chase, no distractions.

Keep your head down and your wits about you. Good luck.

It's why I do it alone. I consider it to be almost a game. Me vs Mother Nature, and trying to predict where to be is fun for me. I like being able to live and die by own sword as it is... :) Only problem is that it is very tough trying to do everything at once when on your own, and you don't have any minions in the back of the van to give you a push when you get stuck in mud :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Awesome pictures! :)

Posted
It's why I do it alone. I consider it to be almost a game. Me vs Mother Nature, and trying to predict where to be is fun for me. I like being able to live and die by own sword as it is... :) Only problem is that it is very tough trying to do everything at once when on your own, and you don't have any minions in the back of the van to give you a push when you get stuck in mud :)

I have a wicked stuck in the mud story for you. I think this may well inspire you. Check it out if you have time.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/foru...=search#M327364

P.S. Cliffyboy1962 is me.

Edited by Tommyboy2007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!
I have a wicked stuck in the mud story for you. I think this may well inspire you. Check it out if you have time.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/foru...=search#M327364

P.S. Cliffyboy1962 is me.

ha ha - brilliant story. Some great shots there for your £38. Sounds like you were really in the wars :lol:

Posted

A bit late posting these due to some pc issues but some photos from the chase.

post-7065-1241912596_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912608_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912619_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912632_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912644_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912664_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912690_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912702_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912579_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1241912560_thumb.jpg

Definitely remembering why I wanted to be out here again! :lol:

Posted

Indeed.... was that a vidcap, or just a nicely timed camera shot? Either way, stunning pics :lol:

Posted

Here's a quick and dirty timelapse using some photos taken yesterday. Might help show how explosive these storms are. No way my video could get wideangled enough to timelapse that footage. I was pretty much beneath the edge of the updraft at times.

http://www.stormfever.com/Videos/MontagueStorm.wmv

Posted

Great shots everyone and that time lapse video is great to watch -seeing the clouds build like that. What is the space between shots?

Posted

I'm not too sure... I think they were 6 seconds for the majority, although the last few may have been 10 seconds due to a longer exposure time...

You can see the clouds moving upwards without speeding it up in anyway at times..

One last video anyway of the possible funnel after dark near Nocona. It's blurry, out of focus, and probably should have the audio removed but it's late and I need to sleep :lol:

Posted

brilliant photo's guys. a great way to show exactly why it is so worth going out there. (you lucky lot)

i am so not jealous

Edited by MAF

Posted

An amazing first day off the plane, we couldn't really have asked for much more -except a 'nado!

I'm not really happy with the photos i took, they don't really do the storm justice and are out of focus! Although after a 10hr flight, lack of sleep and the fact my tripod was in my suitcase(before the lightning pic) i guess i was sort of limited!

I have quite a lot more and a lot of video footage, but it's 2am here and my laptop is slow. I'll maybe try and post some more when i next get a connection :lol:

post-26-1241938976_thumb.jpg

post-26-1241938814_thumb.jpg

Also have no photoshop...