Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Longest Wait In Year For 1st 20oc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Perhaps we should say it's been an 'above average' spring rather than warm. Certainly, overall it *has* been 'warm' as the CET will reflect but that simply down to the lack of frosts, cold nights & any kind of northerly wind we often get in spring (big shame - I like those!). Any cool weather has come from low maxima under cloudy skies but at the same time we have high minima. Take the last 48 hours - it's felt cold with a max of 13c but the min has been 12c so overall it's a normal spring day.

I've enjoyed this spring from the perspective of lots of sunshine, low rainfall and warm days but it has been pretty boring too. We missed any kind of convective northerly (aka April showers) and also missed out (so far) on any summerlike warm days (21c+).

Thing is, to most people they judge how warm a period of time is by how hot & sunny it gets in the daytime - the difference between 12c & 7c at 4am really isn't of much concern to joe public!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)
Temperatures of 14-16C in March and constant 16+C in April are warm though. The average maximums for March and April are around 9-11C and 12-13C even in the south. With regards to this month, temperatures have been close to average, its just that we havent had a below average May since 1996 so people have forgotten what a normal one is like and expect it to be an early start to summer.

As I said above, we havent had any extreme temperatures (cold nor warm) but on average this spring has generally been consistently mild. That goes for maxima and minima.

No, sorry but I have to disagree there, 16C In April is not warm.. I would consider it mild at most, especially seeing as temperatures of over 20C are quite possible in April. April was mainly above average because of the high minima, sometimes the daytime maxima were quite cool, so you can understand why some people think that it has been cool.

And I think it is perfectly acceptable that May can be considered an early start to summer. The fact that we haven't had a below average one since 1996 would explain this..

Edited by robthefool

Posted
No, sorry but I have to disagree there, 16C In April is not warm.. I would consider it mild at most, especially seeing as temperatures of over 20C are quite possible in April. April was mainly above average because of the high minima, sometimes the daytime maxima were quite cool, so you can understand why some people think that it has been cool.

And I think it is perfectly acceptable that May can be considered an early start to summer. The fact that we haven't had a below average one since 1996 would explain this..

Im sorry but thats not the case. March and April were both well above average primarily due to high daytime temperatures.

March:

Mean Max: 11.0C (+1.9C)

Mean Min: 3.0C (+0.8C)

Sunshine: 149%

Rainfall: 64%

April:

Mean Max: 14.6C (+2.8C)

Mean Min: 5.3C (+1.4C)

Sunshine: 119%

Rainfall: 76%

And regarding whats 'warm'. If you reach 16C in March (the average max in May) then its very much warm, likewise if you reach 20C (the average max in late June), then so is that. Also, the fact we havent had a below average May in 13 years doesnt automatically make it a summer month or early start to summer, but simply says we've had a long run of mild Mays. The current month is very average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I guess it's what you get used to or hope for. And in May, for many people, that's warmth. It's easy to think it's summer due to the very long days & strong sun but, of course, it isn't.

There have been neither heatwave nor cold snap this spring - just above average temps consistantly. Once you're used to 16c in April (above average) then anything less in May (which is normal) feels cold.

A warm, but unremarkable spring in many ways basically.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This thread illustrates a common misconception about spring weather. It stems both from the fact that we've had a run of warm springs recently, and the fact that most members flick a switch from winter mode to summer mode sometime around February/March and get disappointed that it isn't summer yet until June.

It is true that there's been a lack of outstanding warmth this spring- "homogeneity" is certainly the key term here- so to comment on lack of notable individual warm spells is reasonable, but it has been anything but a cool spring.

Really, I get the impression that if we had a spring like 1997 (say) next year, people would be calling it a very poor spring because of the wintry spell in the first week of May, and the close to average temperature in May as a whole, the warmth and dryness of March and April notwithstanding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)
Im sorry but thats not the case. March and April were both well above average primarily due to high daytime temperatures.

March:

Mean Max: 11.0C (+1.9C)

Mean Min: 3.0C (+0.8C)

Sunshine: 149%

Rainfall: 64%

April:

Mean Max: 14.6C (+2.8C)

Mean Min: 5.3C (+1.4C)

Sunshine: 119%

Rainfall: 76%

And regarding whats 'warm'. If you reach 16C in March (the average max in May) then its very much warm, likewise if you reach 20C (the average max in late June), then so is that. Also, the fact we havent had a below average May in 13 years doesnt automatically make it a summer month or early start to summer, but simply says we've had a long run of mild Mays. The current month is very average.

I am speaking for where I live though.. London has quite a different climate compared to the rest of the UK.. for example average max temps are 11 in March, 13-14 in April, 17-18 In May and 20-21 in June. I suppose I come to expect of warmer temperatures and drier weather down here as it is normally the warmest and one of the driest places in the UK. However, this May has definately been chilly, and I am still surprised that the max temperature anywhere in the UK is still only 22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Out of the whole of Northern England, or perhaps even central England, this area is probably the warmest outside the southeast so I've also come to expect high temperatures as my zone (north Cheshire, into southern Merseyside), gives London a run for it's money in the summer, when warm spell do occur. This year however it's been very homogenous but mild, and cooler than most southwards. I wouldn't call it a disppointed spring though, as for me and my particular interests a frosty spring would represent a poor spring. This Spring as not been frosty at all[ here

Posted
I think in reality, it's been a mild spring, nothing too warm, nothing especially cold. A major lack of frosts since February is the biggest headline I think - yes we've had occasional frost around the country, but here at least there hasn't been an air frost since the back tail of February which is quite astounding. Here we would expect our last frost about end of March into early April, but much earlier this year.

Today its one of those humid type of days with a vapour type of rainfall (wouldnt even call it drizzle), leaving a dewy appearance on most surfaces.

I think Somerset Squall reported an air frost not too long ago, which I found pretty surprising.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
I think Somerset Squall reported an air frost not too long ago, which I found pretty surprising.

The last frost air recorded at this station was on the 5th April, a ground frost occurred

on the 4th May and was close again on the 18th with a minimum in the screen of 2.3c.

Paul

edit: April 5th was the last air frost.

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Frost has been remarkably rare this spring. In March I reported only 4 air frosts in Cleadon, while in April the month's lowest minimum was 1.3C- even April 2007 (min 0.6C on the 4th) exceeded that. The only sharp frost was the one on 29 March.

Spring 2003- remembered for its remarkable daytime warmth and sunshine in March and April- had some quite sharp frosts in March, and April had quite a sharp frost around the 9th in many parts of the country. Spring 1990- also remembered as a warm sunny spring- had a few sharp frosts in April.

Posted
Frost has been remarkably rare this spring. In March I reported only 4 air frosts in Cleadon, while in April the month's lowest minimum was 1.3C- even April 2007 (min 0.6C on the 4th) exceeded that. The only sharp frost was the one on 29 March.

Spring 2003- remembered for its remarkable daytime warmth and sunshine in March and April- had some quite sharp frosts in March, and April had quite a sharp frost around the 9th in many parts of the country. Spring 1990- also remembered as a warm sunny spring- had a few sharp frosts in April.

Yes the most notable aspect of spring 2009 so far and unlikely to change unless we get a sudden arctic onslaught has been the woeful display of nightime frost - probably could count on less than 2 handsthe number of nights below 1 degree since mid february... I don't think we saw an air frost at all in April -perhaps once only... Its been quite an odd spring in that we have had the dry weather but this has been accompanied by alot of cloud at night preventing any substantial cooling, also we have had little polar air.. this has been the biggest factor for the lack of cold nights - it seem ages since we have been enveloped in cold polar clear air.. it looked like we were about to see such a happening early next week but alas this isn't going to happen - watch it decend on us as we hit summer!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I would agree that the main thing about this spring that is probably most noticed is the lack of frost. I dont think i can remember such a frostless spring,even the warm spring of 2007 had more. And as for air frosts i dont think ive had one since Feb. It was strange how quickly things changed after mid Feb,it was like someone just flicked a switch and winter 08/09 was suddenly over and it being a fairly cold winter aswell. Given the fairly cold winter i would have expected to get a fair number of frosts up to the start of May or so but the weather had other ideas. Maybe the frosts will come back with a vengence in the Autumn.

Posted

The lack of frosts this Spring has made it an incredibly easy year for bringing on tender plants which I for one am very grateful. The chopping and changing of warmth vs cold is usually such a typical feature of the English Spring but it can wreak havoc on your best laid gardening plans.

Posted

Will it be June before 20c is reached here or a few who already havn`t reached 20c,looking at the currents models it`s looking like a long wait this time.

Posted

Only had 4 air frosts this spring all in March.

Past years when 20c was reached here:

2008:May 6th 20c

2007:April 14th 20c

2006:May 4th 22c

2005:May 27th 22c

2004:April 25th 20c

2003:April 15th 22c

2002:April 24th 19c very close(May 15th 22c)

2001:May 12th 22c

2000:May 7th 20c

1999:May 3rd 20c

1998:May 15th 20c

1997:May 1st 21c

1996:May 14th came quite close at 18c but had to wait until May 30th at 20c.

1995:May 3rd 20c

1994:April 29th 20c

1993:April 29th 20c

1992:May 14th 23c

1991:We had to wait all the way until July 4th for 22c

1990:April 30th 20c

Anyone go back any further than 1990.

1991/1996 and 2005 were the only longer waits than this spring out of those.

Posted

First date in the year to reach 20C in this location (1983-2009):

1988: Jun 19th

1986: Jun 13th

1983: Jun 7th

1985: May 26th

2001: May 22nd

1991: May 20th

1999: May 20th

1993: May 17th

2009: May 16th (Current Max 17.9C)

2000: May 14th

1992: May 13th

1998: May 9th

2008: May 9th

1989: May 4th

1990: May 3rd

2006: May 3rd

1995: May 2nd

1997: May 1st

2005: May 1st

1987: Apr 29th

1994: Apr 27th

2004: Apr 24th

2002: Apr 23rd

1984: Apr 21st

1996: Apr 21st

2003: Apr 16th

2007: Apr 15th

It has become more common for 20C to be reached in April in recent years and every year since 2001 has managed it before mid-May. The 1980s occasionally saw a wait until at least June.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I have had 0 air frosts this meteorological Spring.. (since March 1st) and 1 ground frost, on the 28th March.

The latest time that I've recorded 20C here in my lifetime is late May as far as the records show!

Looks like that record is odds on to be beaten this year, and it's not particularly a record I will be proud of or happy with!

However I am not too unhappy because the stable nature of the weather has meant I too have good growth on tender plants in the garden!

I planted bedding plants in March, it's not usually possible until April!

The lack of frosts this Spring has made it an incredibly easy year for bringing on tender plants which I for one am very grateful. The chopping and changing of warmth vs cold is usually such a typical feature of the English Spring but it can wreak havoc on your best laid gardening plans.

Doesn't Southsea Island have the mildest winter climate in the country after the Scilly Isles?

I think there has been a big regioanl variation for April, this map shows that for many western districts , it has been less mild than for much of the UK, and also the better weather in April was at the start/middle of the month, with a glorious Easter, whereas further east it was not so good. But after the middle part of the month it was generally cool here, but much warmer further east and perhaps this is clouding the issue somewhat. In Local weather station only once did Max April temps go above 16c,

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/#

The last 2 weeks have been rather disappointing, however the start of last week, did see some much better weather with some warm sunshine, which is very much my preference this time of year.

Posted

First 20C for Manchester Airport

1973: May 22nd

1974: April 4th

1975: April 25th

1976: May 7th

1977: May 21st

1978: May 10th

1979: April 14th

1980: April 14th

1981: May 11th

1982: May 12th

1983: June 7th

1984: April 21st

1985: May 17th

1986: May 2nd

1987: April 17th

1988: May 13th

1989: May 4th

1990: April 30th

1991: July 1st

1992: May 13th

1993: April 27th

1994: April 29th

1995: May 2nd

1996: April 21st

1997: May 1st

1998: May 13th

1999: May 3rd

2000: May 7th

2001: May 10th

2002: May 16th

2003: April 15th

2004: April 24th

2005: May 27th

2006: May 4th

2007: April 14th

2008: May 6th

Posted

Thats very interesting Mr Data especially the early May 1986 which I always remember as being very humid. :)

And also July 1991 being the latest date similar to here. :)

Posted
Thats very interesting Mr Data especially the early May 1986 which I always remember as being very humid. :doh:

And also July 1991 being the latest date similar to here. :)

1991 was a strange year indeed. We reached 20C just 5 times before 1st July (21.4C being the highest), but then from 1st July - 17th September just 12 days failed to reach it. It was almost like a switch was flicked at the end of June.

Posted
1991 was a strange year indeed. We reached 20C just 5 times before 1st July (21.4C being the highest), but then from 1st July - 17th September just 12 days failed to reach it. It was almost like a switch was flicked at the end of June.

The Pinatubo volcanic eruption was June 1991. Coincidence?"

"...June 15 saw the onset of the climactic eruption..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pinatub...mactic_eruption

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

im still awaiting my first 20oC, whit holiday week now looks cool although still FI, today very cool only 14.1oC max, 4.6oC minimum

i think only the SE will see 20+ between now and next sunday, certainly different to last year as i reached 20oC in april and 26oC on 11th may

Posted

What's struck me is the sheer consistency of the daytime temperatures this spring- apart from that half-hearted cold snap in early March it seems to have been 10-19C max virtually every day since mid-February. The last sub-10C max was way back in March (a quick glance at the data suggests that this year's lack of a sub-10C max during April at Shawbury may be unprecedented; it happened in 2007 and 1987), yet we're still waiting for a 20 despite a few 18s in April.

Last air frost was way back in the first week of April- that too is remarkable round here; the last time we had to wait so long for a 20C (2005) there were air frosts in mid-May!

Posted

I'm pretty certain that for certain locations, the lateness in which 20C will be recorded will be record breaking, perhaps in some station in the Midlands.

I very much doubt 20C will be hit anywhere outside of London for at least the remainder of May.

The question now is not if we will record 20C between now and June, but more a case of where in England outside of London/or who havent recorded 20C already is when in June it will be recorded!

What would be interesting is if we didn't record 20C in both June and July, and possibly August.... sounds ridiculous, but is it?

It would be interesting to know if this has ever happened, where 20C hasn't been recorded in summer in England in a particular location - I dont think it's beyond possibility - though very unlikely, given recent history.