Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Risk Discussion Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Lol well when I say Midlands I am talking about Central England, Midlands means Center after all doesen't it? I hate it when people class places like Worcester as the Midlands or Shrewsbury. They are clearly Western England, not far from Wales. Places like Leicester, Nottingham, Coventry, Birmingham and Northampton are in the center of England. I include Milton Keynes in that because it's Central England aswell. It's kind of on the border between being South East and the Midlands but because it's got a central location I class it as being Midlands.

Even though loads of people will shoot me down now for saying that.

Lol, hands up now! :lol:

Juding by what you say im on the Border of the Midlands and Western England then.

Anyway im in Devon right now and we had some moderate rain earlier.

Posted

Totally unscientific but...

dog barking - check.

distant burgular/car alarm - check.

slight breeze - nearly...

i'm going to give it half an hour before retiring - work tomorrow!

Posted
Cant say I've noticed to be honest - only the cloud streaming up from the South, and a breeze which feels like an increasing SE/E.

If there is cloud coming in from the NW, this will mean certainly some conversion taking place, and with that one of two things: Boom, or bust

yep there is convergence over us:

ukwind.png

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Got that typical arc of storms that signifies the approach of a thundery low moving towards London, back years ago it seemed the storms always moved along cold fronts, nowadays cold fronts are always weak.

Posted

Flashes now getting brighter and thunder getting louder, stuck in a valley though, so I can't see much, dog's hiding again though and the cat's just come in. Waiting for the kids to come back downstairs next!!

Posted
Lol, hands up now! :lol:

Juding by what you say im on the Border of the Midlands and Western England then.

Anyway im in Devon right now and we had some moderate rain earlier.

Keep um up, i want my shot now. :lol: :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Confirms the ESE breeze then that convergence chart.

Now then - wait and see what happens.

Posted
yep there is convergence over us:

ukwind.png

Northampton is right in the middle of that 'swoosh' (a perfectly valid meteorological term I'm sure) yet nothing is happening. I give up. :lol:

Posted

Looks as if the worst rain this time is actally but further west than first predicted unless the bit behind intensifys more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Lol well when I say Midlands I am talking about Central England, Midlands means Center after all doesen't it? I hate it when people class places like Worcester as the Midlands or Shrewsbury. They are clearly Western England, not far from Wales. Places like Leicester, Nottingham, Coventry, Birmingham and Northampton are in the center of England. I include Milton Keynes in that because it's Central England aswell. It's kind of on the border between being South East and the Midlands but because it's got a central location I class it as being Midlands.

Even though loads of people will shoot me down now for saying that.

Anyhoos...lol.....the question remains, what will the trigger mechanism be??........showers over wilts/oxon have had the odd sferic, but nothing to warrant the term 'thunderstorm' ....genuine question, as I'm reminded of the storm over brum on April15th....a moderate shower over oxon underwent rapid development in to a potent thunderstorm around 6:00am, I still dont know what the trigger was for that event, it certainly surprised me! so I presume I'm missing something :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Keep um up, i want my shot now. :lol: :D

Lol, you can start then i will finish. :lol:

Overall i think today was overhyped by quite a few people. Yes, for some there has been some Thunderstorms but not on the scale many were thinking. It just shows how hard thunderstorms are hard to predict. Next Thundery weather i suspect will be near the beiging of next week.

Posted
Northampton is right in the middle of that 'swoosh' (a perfectly valid meteorological term I'm sure)

:lol: :lol:

seems to have quietened down here- no more thunder, rain stopped, still yet to see any lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

Getting very heavy pressure headache just like earlier, was just outside covering some stuff and sure i seen some faint flashes over the houses to south. Just started raining too.

Already missed a lot earlier, I now work in Tunbridge Wells and was sitting outside pub (Hop House) at about 6:00-6:30 with work mates and it started raining and rumbling, thank god for the awnings..... sadly i had to drive back to crawley so drove out of the rain toward east grinstead. into clearing skies in crawley. I will remain hopeful for tonight.

Posted

Well that was quick - all quiet now. I think I shall retire now for the evening. Hope this stuff moving through can set off more cells inland and that storm staved places get a look in...

Posted

Looks like the line that has come out of France is starting to weaken a little bit again, the embedded stronger cells that were present about 30 mins ago have weakened though a few very heavy bursts are still present according to the radar. Looks like this is going the way of heavy rain with the odd rumble it seems at the moment away from the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Its got quite windy round here and seems to be warmer and more humid now.

Can see something to my west.

But i have a feeling its just a case of rain no thunder round here :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
Flashes now getting brighter and thunder getting louder, stuck in a valley though, so I can't see much, dog's hiding again though and the cat's just come in. Waiting for the kids to come back downstairs next!!

There are loads of heavy showers heading up through N France which look like they are going to skirt the SE coast in a little while, so might be worth keeping the curtains open tonight. (If you get what I mean?)

Posted

OMG how has it drifted so far east so quickly it looked as iow was gunna get hit but then it moved east?

not necessarily bad

these storms often weaken over the channel - hit landfall almost disappaited - and certainly not active

but then "awake" further inland :lol:

Looks like the line that has come out of France is starting to weaken a little bit again, the embedded stronger cells that were present about 30 mins ago have weakened though a few very heavy bursts are still present according to the radar. Looks like this is going the way of heavy rain with the odd rumble it seems at the moment away from the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Lol, you can start then i will finish. :lol:

Overall i think today was overhyped by quite a few people. Yes, for some there has been some Thunderstorms but not on the scale many were thinking. It just shows how hard thunderstorms are hard to predict. Next Thundery weather i suspect will be near the beiging of next week.

Ok, i'm good at being a pain in the backside to i'm going to do what I do best and annoy people :lol:

Here is my interpretation of the Midlands.... The blue circle of roughly where you live and the Yellow area is what I call MIDlands :D

Now who agrees or disagrees with me that the blue area is not MIDlands and the yellow area is?

post-2115-1243288700_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Ok, i'm good at being a pain in the backside to i'm going to do what I do best and annoy people :lol:

Here is my interpretation of the Midlands.... The blue circle of roughly where you live and the Yellow area is what I call MIDlands :D

Now who agrees or disagrees with me that the blue area is not MIDlands and the yellow area is?

I personally still think the blue area is midlands.

Posted

Lol, im slightly further North than the blue dot but i will still be in Western England. :D

Anyway, looks to be some heavy rain approaching the South Coast now but little thundery activity now.

Posted

The rain really has pepped up here really fast, a faint distant rumble here.....come on storms....