Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's This Effect?

Posted

While at the top of Blencathra last night, and coughing up blood, I happened to notice what looked like a sun-dog, but directly beneath the Sun. Does anyone know what it is? Wibs suggested it might be the sun reflecting off the Irish Sea back to a cloud layer. I hope to god she's not right...I couldn't bear that.

post-717-1244027174_thumb.jpg

Posted

It's the sun reflecting off the sea. I realised that after I'd regained conciousness and had wiped the sweat from my eyes.

Edited by LauraWibs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

It looks very much like the sea, to me.

Posted

Was thinking, possible sea reflection, low cloud acting as a sort of mirror but definitaley not a Sundog. They only occur either side of, and not below or above the Sun.

Only other optical phenomena would be the 9º halo (insignificant unless the Sun is high in the sky), 22º halo (mostly responsible for sundogs which as said above, only occur to the left and right of the Sun), circumzenithal arc. Only ever seen one of those once.

I would have thought also a Sun mirage but the Sun was still just too high for that. Needs to be very near the horizon.

(Wibbles) Laura, you'll just have to hurt him I'm afraid.

Be gentle now! :clap:

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I know who I am going to hurt........

Edited by Soaring Hawk