Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Suffolk Storm + Funnel Cloud Sunday 7th June

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Did anyone see this storm last night?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8089268.stm

I could see and hear it clearly my south-west, but it didn't move at all in about 2 hours! Some areas look to have taken a bit of a battering!

A man called into local radio earlier and said when driving from Sudbury to Stowmarket the hail was deep enough to resemble snow.

The video shows quite a well formed funnel cloud, wish the storm could have moved about 5 miles! Typical!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Just saw it on out local news, and it defnately shows it touching down, so hence it was indeed a tornado!

Posted

From what I saw over my way, i'm not surprised that there was a tornado - that hail didn't look too shabby..

I managed to film a bit of footage of an unstable rotating cloud base:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJsHa_QtjkQ&fmt=18

You might have to watch it several times, but the area of rotation is at the top of the screen with the cloud at the top of the screen moving right and the cloud slightly behind it moving left. I apologise for the poor filming quality and really wish I captured more.

Posted

Looking at the conditions at the time:

The surface wind flow at 18z (7pm) from the 18z GFS run shows a defined convergence orientated NE-SW in the region (the actual trough was NW-SE in orientation however)

post-8218-1244497340_thumb.png

The CAPE and Lifted Index at 18z (7pm) seems reasonable but a little weak:

post-8218-1244497351_thumb.png

The Satellite Pic at 6.30pm (17.30z) shows the cell developing:

post-8218-1244497363_thumb.png

The radar pic (thanks to the BBC - sorry don't have NW Extra, otherwise I'd use it :( ), edited with place names, shows the intensity of the rain/hail at 6pm (17z):

post-8218-1244497397_thumb.png

and finally the 18z (7pm) MetO FAX chart shows the trough over Suffolk:

post-8218-1244497387_thumb.png

I don't know where to obtain, nor have the knowledge to translate, any upper air soundings from the region at the time?

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Looks like a potent cell, developed rapidly with a conducive low-level wind field aiding convergence and uplift.

That region is Suffolking good for storms.

:(

Posted
Yeah, you can make out slight rotation and rising motion of the cloud. Reminds me so much of May 31st 07 when I seen small scale rotation similar to this and then after an amazing thunderstorm.

Nice vid! :(

Thanks, i've also uploaded another video of a possible condensation funnel (this ones a bit clearer than the last video). There appears to be significant wind shear in the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkNWyPpxEQo&fmt=18

Posted

Quote from Village Plank early yesterday morning:

Without wanting to ramp too much, the shear, along with all other factors may see a brief and very isolated very severe storm at some location in the S/E. All indicators, I would suggest go for the City of London, perhaps marginally a little bit more North, and West (Wembley?)

Not far off :(

Posted

This cell went up about 10 miles from my house and then drifted Northwards towards Suffolk (40 Miles to my North) But as it was my daughters 5th Birthday party I was under strict order that I could NOT Chase on this day (She has a point) seeing as I have just been away for 35 days in the States! :( But i would have been right on this seeing as it was a Sunday and no work commitments, just luck of the draw unfortunatley but it did look very nice as it was going up in it's early stages, but yes definately a CZ Type Tornado.

Paul S