Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Posted

Some very intense rain showers in the last couple of hours, unfortunately no thundery activity to report. :unknw:

Posted
Congrats Lewis, just seen your story in the Hull daily mail!

Link is here http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/n...il/article.html

Thanks mate :unknw: , it makes me laugh though, yes i may be what "Less experienced with the weather" but i dont see there forecasters picking up on it first lol".

Im a chuffing Amateur rofl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
I agree in some ways, it doesn't feel that humid. However, even in the shade the air still feels quite warm but there is quite a brisk breeze at the same time, not desperately cold though. In the sun it does feel very warm if not hot. not really much happening here, tonnes of cumulus but that's it. Any promising clouds appear to be to my east

Cheers TN9 for the link!

According to VP's predictions, there should a decent amount of moisture at slightly higher levels as opposed to on the ground. At least there is some moisture around then :unknw:

The warmth from the sunshine, expected conversion zones and fairly strong winds above, could potentially help make any showers which may develop a bit more pokey.

Edited by Harry

Posted
Thanks mate :lol: , it makes me laugh though, yes i may be what "Less experienced with the weather" but i dont see there forecasters picking up on it first lol".

Im a chuffing Amateur rofl

"Then I saw it touch down, maybe in the sea"

did you not see where it touched down then? How can you be sure? :unknw:

Posted
certainly quite lively down there Pat....Quite a train of cells popping up

post-4149-1244716841_thumb.png

Jest read this post, thats obviously what i'm under at present.

Posted

Mini tornado?? :unknw:

Posted
"Then I saw it touch down, maybe in the sea"

did you not see where it touched down then? How can you be sure? :unknw:

I said too them that it was a funnel cloud not a min tornado DOH! writers for you. It's a funnel cloud if it does not touch down, and there is no such thing as a mini tornado "small yes".

I also told them i was tracking the thunderstorms, and watching the funnel but i was somewhere obstructed with my view point, all i can say is that when it went behind buildings towards the coast, the funnel was that big, it passed my view point when coming from the cloud base if u get what i mean, so when i lost full sight of the actual bottom of the funnel it was say 60-70% almost on the ground. :lol:

Posted
I said too them that it was a funnel cloud not a min tornado DOH! writers for you. It's a funnel cloud if it does not touch down, and there is no such thing as a mini tornado "small yes".

I also told them i was tracking the thunderstorms, and watching the funnel but i was somewhere obstructed with my view point, all i can say is that when it went behind buildings towards the coast, the funnel was that big, it passed my view point when coming from the cloud base if u get what i mean, so when i lost full sight of the actual bottom of the funnel it was say 60-70% almost on the ground. :lol:

fair enough, that's the media for you, they always twist(er) things around :p:unknw:

On a more serious note, some really good convection over Hampshire moving eastwards - fingers crossed this may be our chance!! :p

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Some beefy looking Cu starting to develop around here too!

I just have that gut feeling, as I said earlier, that there will be some potent downpours, possibly T'storms to my N and to my S, south of the North Downs, with a nice and dry Thames estuary and about 3 miles either side.

Posted

So what are people seeing in Norfolk and Lincolnshire at the moment?

strikestar60.png

Tracking 1 thunderstorms

-------------------------------------------------------

Thunderstorm ID Y-5918 detected 12:18

Storm location bearing 27.9 dgr distance 129 mi

Last recorded activity 12:41

Intensity class Weak

Intensity trend No change

Current strikerate 2/minute

Peak strikerate 4/minute

Total recorded strikes 24

Cloud-Ground strikes 5 - 20.83%

Intracloud strikes 19 - 79.17%

-- Strike type distribution --

Positive Cloud-Ground [+CG] 5 - 20.83%

Negative Cloud-Ground [-CG] 0 - 0.00%

Positive Intracloud [+IC] 7 - 29.17%

Negative Intracloud [-IC] 12 - 50.00%

-------------------------------------------------------

*** TRAC Report end - NexStorm V1.6.0.2553:PCI

Posted

Yes the only thing that has let down that article is the ridiculous Term "Mini Tornado" Once Again

If you want to see a picture then go onto TWO Forum and click page 2 of the Current Conditions Thread.

DaveinHull over there has captured the picture perfectly

Will try to post a link for you

Paul S

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/...ms/t/26758.aspx - Page 2

Posted
Yes the only thing that has let down that article is the ridiculous Term "Mini Tornado" Once Again

If you want to see a picture then go onto TWO Forum and click page 2 of the Current Conditions Thread.

Paul S

wow that is stunning! :lol:

never seen one personally, here's hoping i do today :p a small but noticeable tower going up to my southwest. :unknw:

Posted

!2.50pm Thurs

UPDATE

As per earlier forecast with additional box added covering a Slight Risk of Moderate Tornado Development 12Z-18Z The Wash and E.Anglia

Models continue to forecast an accumulation of mid level dry air incursion from the west, numerical increasing vertical wind shear, moist low level profile and increasing lapse rates as the upper trough slides south. This combination of conditions continue to suggest the development of isolated severe thunderstorms on a local scale, namely E.Anglia.

Whilst uncertainties may exist regarding convergence this afternoon. Westerly moving cells on radar currently exhibits some pronounced veer approx 15 miles inland from the east coast. Storm cells are seen to intensify at this point. With surface temps already above the expected today for SE we can expect this veer to increase, intensifying storm cell development along this boundary. A slight risk is now issued for the risk of moderate tornado development this afternoon as per map.

Posted

That's looking better :unknw:

BUT, I still may be a bit too far west to see it! Having said this, there are an increasing number of dark bases around at the moment - convection is definitely underway!

Posted

Paul S

I agree with you on that one, and yep thats the baby that caught my eyes lovely aint it, must admit credit to daveinhull for getting some good snaps. I just contacted the HDM news desk and told them to change there article about mini tornado's.

Guess what she said to me "I want it to sound more dramatic is there any other terms i can use to make it more dramatic" lol

I just said " Theres no such thing of a mini-tornado, its either a funnel cloud if it does not touch the ground, or if it does touch the ground its a tornado, all tornados are powerfull but some are less powerfull so the correct term would be "small tornado" because really it is, it would not produce sufficient damage etc."

Regards

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, all of you are right. I used to be guilty of calling them "mini tornadoes" at one stage (e.g. the "mini tornado" west of Cleadon on my birthday on 22 June 1999), influenced by the media which uses the term all the time, but soon recognised the error of my ways. "Small tornado", "funnel cloud" etc are much more accurate terms to use.

Posted

Sunny, with hardly a cloud in the sky here. im 99% confident things will stay like that :unknw:

Posted
Sunny, with hardly a cloud in the sky here. im 99% confident things will stay like that :rolleyes:

Chance of some development around 3-5pm maybe a little later. CAPE and LI values seem pretty good with a LI OF -1 and cape values upto around 380 k/j here. Up until 7PM.

Look to the NW of us, some showers forming and thats what we should keep an eye on, the orientation/flow comes into line with the metoffice warning for this area, they dont have to come accross the midlands this time :)

Posted

Cu looked to be towering brilliantly earlier! Not sure what's come of it though.

Posted
Chance of some development around 3-5pm maybe a little later. CAPE and LI values seem pretty good with a LI OF -1 and cape values upto around 380 k/j here. Up until 7PM.

Look to the NW of us, some showers forming and thats what we should keep an eye on, the orientation/flow comes into line with the metoffice warning for this area, they dont have to come accross the midlands this time :)

Everywhere is very dry around here mate,so hopefully a few downpours will happen later.

Plenty of radar watching throughout the afternoon and early evening :rolleyes:

Posted
Link to short vid I took yesterday, didn't know where else to post this so hope it's ok to put it here. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boStuGRJU-s...re=channel_page

Not the best I've seen but still some good CGs.

Thanks for that mate, good video, them strikes was very close!

Am i allowed to post it on my website? Im making a severe weather section with some videos etc, ill give you credit, but i would be embedding it into my own player, not youtubes. Let me know mate.

Lewis

Posted

WOW - RAPID intensification over Hants!

My theory of me seeing distant action to N and S while under boring skies is looking ever increasingly real!

Posted
WOW - RAPID intensification over Hants!

My theory of me seeing distant action to N and S while under boring skies is looking ever increasingly real!

That is from the Sea Breeze Convergence down there Harry.

Take a look at the Winds in the local area, NW Over Land and South West Sea Breeze from the Sea.

Paul S