Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mid-october 1990

Summer of 95

Posted

Looking back through the archives, I was very surprised to find a hot spell in October 1990, with Shawbury reaching 22 and 21C on 12-13 October http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Shawbur...-1990/34140.htm. Trevor Harley's site talks of a "notable heatwave" with temperatures in the 20s from London to Scotland. Yet I don't remember this at all, even though I can remember clearly much of 1990's weather (August heatwave, December snowstorm, disappointing June following warm May, even late February T-shirt weather) as well as 8 October 1995 which I'd always believed to be the latest date to top 21C round here in the last 30-odd years.

Can anyone recall this October hot spell at all?

Posted

Octobers were fairly cold in the 90s so this should stick out like a sore thumb, but it doesnt. My main memoery of the weather in the 90s were the heatwaves and frosts in 1995 Snow in 1991, major heatwave in early June 1996 and the snow towards the end of the year.

There was also the most amazing thunderstorm. Think it was June 1996, I remember it being really warm at the time.

Posted

Although I dont really remember it, it was indeed a notable late warm spell. My records show the following maximum temperatures:

12th: 21.8C

13th: 21.9C

14th: 19.2C

15th: 20.1C

In the case of the 15th, it is the latest date on record here when 20C has been recorded, though 27th October 2005 just missed out by a whisker with a maximum of 19.9C.

It was a typical October warm setup, much like October 1985, though the warm pool wasnt as potent:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119901012.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219901012.gif

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I couldn't remember this warm spell either, it must have faded into insignificance at the time after the very hot weather in early August that year. The 12th was the warmest day of the spell here with a max' of 18.9c, this had been exceeded only once in October since, on the 8th in 1995 when the temp' reached 20.4c.

Posted

I think I remember this warm spell as I did a 10 mile sponsered walk at school around this time and remember it being very warm, especially for the time of year. If I remember correctly, it lasted for a few days. However, it doesn't stand out like October 1995!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i remember this spell quite well...playing football on the saturday nr colchester losing 4-1 in our first of only 2 defeats that season..on a bone hard pitch and blazing sun..reason i remember it so well was because we played most the game with 10 men after early sending off very hard work indeed.

also remember the hot spell in 1995 too as one my best friends got married in chelmsford in beautiful warm sunshine..was a cracking reception to boot from what i can remember :lol: