Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mutant Strawberry

Posted

Yes, I grew it myself. Checked in at 34 grams (with crown). I also rated it 2/5 on my taste scale.

I've googled mutant strawberries and I have to say this one's a pretty awesome specimen. It looks like something freaky gone on with some genetic code repeating till it hit a wall, left and right.

Voila -

strawberryjune19.jpg

(Pen added for perspective)

Posted

Asda were selling similar size (of course, unrealistically, uniformily shaped) strawberries last year. £1 per punnet. Of course, hard to get a perspective from memory, so could have been smaller (but were big compared to usual UK/EU strawberries).

Have a guess where they came from? Yep...the US of A.

Edit - Actually. Looking at it again, the Asda ones were not as big. Thats actually a big strawberry.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

You know, AFT. And think about it...

If you reversed that image, it would resemble a strawberry coloured fan, as so...

strawberryfan.jpg

Hot weather ahead and Wimbledon this coming Monday 22nd June (God knows why, I hate tennis! Two weeks of left/right neck exercise.)

Conclusion : An instant fan, strawberries and cream being the Wimbledon exploitation tradition so eat it when cool. :rolleyes:

Phil. (Ok, just a thought!)

Posted

Ha, yes it is fan shaped.

Come to think of it, from that perspective it could also be a strawberry afro, or mochican shaped!

Edit - Actually. Looking at it again, the Asda ones were not as big. Thats actually a big strawberry.

Already picked one 48 gram strawberry of the same variety, it was the traditional shape though.

Also, the same plant that produced the above beauty, also produced a mutant hand shaped strawberry. It was a left hand, with the thumb distinctive from the other four fingers!

This single plant - now two years old - is particularly vigourous and looks set to produce 50 - yes fifty - strawberries.

This variety of strawberry is called "Hapil" and you can get it at your local garden centre. It is a modern variety originally bred in Belgium. Also growing some Elsanta and Cambridge favourite and keeping a record to compare taste / weight, weather etc.

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower