Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Radio 4 Lunchtime Forecast Gaff!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Tomasz Schafernaker was doing the 12:55 lunchtime forecast on Radio 4 and got his words mixed up regarding Glastonbury with disasterous but hilarious results

It was one of the funniest moments on live radio I have heard in a long time.

His gaff even madxe this evenings PM news where you can hear it again. Fast forward to the last 10 minutes. Its the repeated forecast not the one at 17:57

Classic...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00l37l2/PM_25_06_2009/

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Unbelievable stuff, no self control whatsoever! I was driving and heard it live just before 1pm.

Posted

That was excellent. I wonder what was on his mind - a Glastonbury toilet experience? A dodgy curry from the previous night? Or....just an innocent slip of the tongue.

Posted

Someone ought to save it as I dont know how long it will stay active on BBC I-player.

This was far more amusing that when Dan C only just got to the studio in time on his 07:57 Radio 4 forecast a few weeks ago. He was so out of breath he could barely speak!

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

That was funny, 'proper' schoolboy behaviour. Liked the way Rob McElwee emphasised Glastonbury site..!!

Posted

Thanks Phil.

... and here's Daniel Corbetts out of breath forecast from 21st May. :doh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/8060874.stm

The weather on the Today programme is usually a very measured affair.

But that all went out of the window after a shortage of forecasters meant weatherman Daniel Corbett had to sprint halfway across Television Centre to read the weather on the Today programme.

"I had to do a five or six minute walk in 40 seconds. I really sprinted," says Daniel.

"But I'd rather be there and breathy than miss it."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
Thanks Phil.

... and here's Daniel Corbetts out of breath forecast from 21st May. :doh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/8060874.stm

The weather on the Today programme is usually a very measured affair.

But that all went out of the window after a shortage of forecasters meant weatherman Daniel Corbett had to sprint halfway across Television Centre to read the weather on the Today programme.

"I had to do a five or six minute walk in 40 seconds. I really sprinted," says Daniel.

"But I'd rather be there and breathy than miss it."

I'd certainly dispute the statement that the weather on the Today programme is a very measured affair.

It may have been about 20 years ago but these days you're lucky if it's longer than 30 seconds as they cram it in between the previous feature and the BBC programme news. The forecaster has to speak at auctioneer speed to cover the whole of Britain in that time; lamentable I call it.

Posted

I have to agree with you there.

It usually gets delayed if John Humphreys has been really chewing into some politcian who seems incapable of answering a simple question with a straight answer, which basically means any politician!

I always make the effort to listen to the 12:55 R4 forecast which is usually on time and runs it's full quota, with or without fau par B)

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes, the 1255 forecast is usually a more measured affair, it seems particularly so on a Sunday for some reason.

The 1755 forecast used to have the full time allocation but that's now down to a minute or perhaps 90 seconds. The BBC really should be ashamed that things have reached such a parlous state.