Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 26th June >>

Posted

Please carry on here, any whingeing and Bitching posts will be DELETED!

Please try to chat about the Convective Potential

Paul S

Posted

yes your 100% correct Snowjoke.tons of time left and days........even if today fails for many...Sat looking like another potentail day according to the BBC guy

Posted

Afternoon All,

fresh thread and hopefully a fresh and mature attitude :D

Looking at the Net Weather Extra Radar and clicking on the Euro View you can see the trough extend all the way down to the Alps:

post-2885-1246023491_thumb.png

To the south and west of the trough in France you can see many individaul cells popping up so undoubtedly they have clearer skies and high temps. Finally it is starting to brighten up here, which may lead to something later on.

Looking further ahead over the next 7 days the forecast is for high temps and humidity with the chance of afternoon showers kicking off. I am fairly sure there will be the threat of organised activity spreading up from France over that period as well.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

As dogs32 pointed out on the last thread, nothing really ever seems to get going around the midlands or east anglia until atleast 16:00, the best storms i've ever witnessed in MK all developed out of nowhere around 17:00 hours and lasted well into the evening. Still plenty of time yet left in the day, we've only just passed the solar maximum which is an added bonus.

Had one very hefty shower around lunchtime that lasted 45mins, not electrified but dumped alot of heavy rain. Sun keeps trying to come out again, but gee's its so sticky and humid, everything is steaming as the rainfall evaporates. It's like being in the tropics at the minute.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Hi guys! :D Anyone in Leicester or in that band of rain/storms on here to say if there's any thunder associated with it? Just trying to get my hopes up!!!

Posted

It has just started to get nice and sunny here, with the sky clearing for the first time today. Hopefully bodes well for later this evening.

Posted

After this band of rain is it going to stay dry? or at least turn sunnier?

Been some really major downpours over the past 30 minutes here though its going lighter now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Dogs - Should start to see some blue soon according to the sat.

Lets hope for some heating.

Temp hasnt budged from 17c .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'll tell you what, the trough currently over the midlands is really starting to come to life!...Radar is showing reds and whites to my SE, and the latest SAT24 infra-red loop really shows how the northern edge is developing deep convective cloud rapidly!!

post-4149-1246024181_thumb.png

raining heavily here, lovely big warm drops.....now, where's my shower gel & gap?...lol

Posted

Dave (Eye) noted that the Cambs storm seemed to be weakening on the last thread this could be due to it crossing the boundary of the CZ. Also of some note is now a Developing Cumulus Field near and South of the South Downs to the South of London presently. One to watch over the next few hours

Paul S

Posted

Does anyone know what temperatures are required for convection to kick in today? I vaguely recall Brickfielder mentioning 22C based on the ascents this morning...

Reason I ask is that the sun is breaking through now so fingers crossed we can reach the magic figure required.

Posted
Dogs - Should start to see some blue soon according to the sat.

Lets hope for some heating.

Temp hasnt budged from 17c .

I hope so mate.I hate dark grey cloud......at least if there is some sun we might get some towers...might

Posted
As dogs32 pointed out on the last thread, nothing really ever seems to get going around the midlands or east anglia until atleast 16:00, the best storms i've ever witnessed in MK all developed out of nowhere around 17:00 hours and lasted well into the evening. Still plenty of time yet left in the day, we've only just passed the solar maximum which is an added bonus.

Had one very hefty shower around lunchtime that lasted 45mins, not electrified but dumped alot of heavy rain. Sun keeps trying to come out again, but gee's its so sticky and humid, everything is steaming as the rainfall evaporates. It's like being in the tropics at the minute.

Further out East, close to the North Sea Coast at Cromer, our best chance is to have a Southerly drift to give us a long track, usually means that if anything is going to happen it's late. As it stands here at the moment, the sun's out temperature 23.5, some gentle Alto-cumulus in the sky and a very gentle breeze from the east south east. If anything develops I'll let you know.

I was hoping to see the very tops of the biggie over TEITS way, but that's where the only (low) cloud in the sky is!!

C'est la vie

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted
Does anyone know what temperatures are required for convection to kick in today? I vaguely recall Brickfielder mentioning 22C based on the ascents this morning...

Reason I ask is that the sun is breaking through now so fingers crossed we can reach the magic figure required.

I reckon that will produce convection but probably a couple or three degrees higher for CB's. Not looking likely here as we are still only 20C and no advancing trough to destabilise like last night. Could get a sharp shower though.

Posted

AJ - Iam underneath one of the 'white areas' on the radar currently (ws6) Its a downpoar to say the least.

Quite surprised there is very little to no wind at all as it was breezy before the heavy rain started, definitely raining stair rods!!

Temp now down from 22.9°C to 18.2°C (falling rate 2.24° / hr)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It looks like being a case of so near yet so far as far as I'm concerned. The line of heavy showers is about 40 miles south and appears to be moving slowly north but according to the forecast it will slide away north westward just before reaching the southern Peak Distict.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Does anyone know when this cloud is going to lift. Been murky all day, was hoping the sun would have got to work on it by now.

Posted

It's just been a miserable, dark day so far. Wouldn't be playing Test Match Cricket in this light that's for sure, it's almost as dark as 9pm here and has been all day. Some rain earlier, and although the lightning detector indicated some strikes, I can assure you there were no sounds. 20.2c and a disappointing day so far.

Posted
I reckon that will produce convection but probably a couple or three degrees higher for CB's. Not looking likely here as we are still only 20C and no advancing trough to destabilise like last night. Could get a sharp shower though.

Ok - thanks for coming back to me :-)

Posted

hope this answers a couple of questions earlier

post-847-1246025102_thumb.jpg

Posted
Does anyone know when this cloud is going to lift. Been murky all day, was hoping the sun would have got to work on it by now.

according to Sat it shouldnt be that long for your area....Us up here maybe teatime

Posted

Im sure I just heard thunder to the North of me here in W London, seems to be building up into something wind has picked up