Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 26th June >>

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
nope, all i can say is it's like a sauna here! though the sun is starting to appear in last hour or so. :doh:

I can see Huge towers to the west , there looks to be 3 of them... I'm unsure of the distance perhaps they are further west than you.

Posted
I can see Huge towers to the west , there looks to be 3 of them... I'm unsure of the distance perhaps they are further west than you.

it's been looking threatening on the underside of the clouds for the past three hours or so, but nothing has come of it... yet? :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Few Rumbles of Thunder here. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Yep that cell should be close to you but I too heard two rumbles of thunder to my SW.

Typically its just passed about 1 mile to my NW. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Somerset got the best of the storms over the last 36hrs but apart from that there's been a few storms in parts of EA and the SE. I think we forget now and then (I do aswell) that we're living on a small island and don't have the 'playing ground' for big storms to develop. It's either the West getting storms or the East, or the North etc. There never seems to be a widerspread storm event which makes this country pathetic more storm. It's no wonder all the storm enthusiasts chase elsewhere.

Edit: just heard deep thunder about 5 miles to my SW, must be from that cell which looks intense.

True, remember a few weeks back when we had that torrential rain and thunderstorm here in Leicester but 35 miles West in Birmingham got no thunder at all? That was very very unlucky, it's amazing how hit and miss these things can be.

Posted

I have not seen any rain storms or such today at all. Been cloudy with a few breaks for the sun to come out and very humid too. We in Kent get all the humidity and hardly ever get the rewards of a good old storm. Sometimes this part of the country sucks.

Posted

Last year I had a 3 hour storm in Walsall, flooded road, houses struck the works, Solihull not even a drop of rain, I was a little smug that night. Currently in NE Bham and the skies are as threatening as they've been all day, could be our time???

Posted
it's been looking threatening on the underside of the clouds for the past three hours or so, but nothing has come of it... yet? B)

just looked to my east, yes i can see the top of a tower through some clearance in the clouds :) somewhere in between me and you :lol:

I have not seen any rain storms or such today at all. Been cloudy with a few breaks for the sun to come out and very humid too. We in Kent get all the humidity and hardly ever get the rewards of a good old storm. Sometimes this part of the country sucks.

nicely said! :good:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Just got in from a day in London, it wasn't so nice up there. I can see a big tower just north of here, possibly over Southend?

Edited by Sloopy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Not having a whinge but seriously, I'm a bit frustrated why the metoffice consistently put out weather warnings for thunderstorms and flash flooding when they NEVER happen. This is I think the FOURTH time in a row this year now, it's really annoying, they're supposedly 87% right most of the time but that is absolute tosh. Why don't metoffice get a proper dopplar radar as well, a bit like the one on www.spc.noaa.gov that the yanks use, it's a quality tool. As for any storms, predictable had nothing last night and nothing today and I doubt we'll get any storms on saturday or sunday. Typical really!

Posted

Its very humid today and i think its going to be staying like this and probably getting worse from now on!

Very threatening looking to my North East over Birmingham way.

Posted
Not having a whinge but seriously, I'm a bit frustrated why the metoffice consistently put out weather warnings for thunderstorms and flash flooding when they NEVER happen. This is I think the FOURTH time in a row this year now, it's really annoying, they're supposedly 87% right most of the time but that is absolute tosh. Why don't metoffice get a proper dopplar radar as well, a bit like the one on www.spc.noaa.gov that the yanks use, it's a quality tool. As for any storms, predictable had nothing last night and nothing today and I doubt we'll get any storms on saturday or sunday. Typical really!

A dopplar radar doesn't help when they issue the warnings days in advance... I think the warnings were pretty good actually, just because you were in a warning box and didn't get a storm doesn't mean they were wrong. But, thats for discussing in another topic i feel.

The shower here only brought a few spots of rain before dieing off.

Posted
The main cell (Red echoes) has moved away W now with another to my SE but doesn't look good at all even though it looks dark to my S. This will be it after this one has past through so I put out one request to Mother Nature - please dear, do create a storm for the patient one :good:

We need to work on your definition of patience!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Must say, things aren't looking good for storms reaching here tonight at the moment. Rainband weakening considerably and there are only interesting cells just north of London. I think that tonight will be a no show here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Had some intense rainfall around 13:30 that reduced visibility to a few feet with the road disappearing under the deluge.

However, it was between 16:00-17:00 that the real rain came crashing down with just a little offering of thunder and lightning. Peak rainfall rate of 72 mm/hr, producing 15mm in total today. :good:

Posted

Looks like a small cell may have got going over Sothern Kent. :good:

Trough/CZ/ whatever it is looks like its firing off down into Kent, anyone in Basildon/Rayleigh down to Sittingbourne/Ashford way should keep an eye out for further development. :lol:

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
The main cell (Red echoes) has moved away W now with another to my SE but doesn't look good at all even though it looks dark to my S. This will be it after this one has past through so I put out one request to Mother Nature - please dear, do create a storm for the patient one :good:

still raining here, not as heavy as earlier, but theatening looking skies to my south and east, that cell over brum is heading my way, anymore lightning down your neck of the woods?...no sferics on radar

Posted
Looks like a small cell may have got going over Sothern Kent. :good:

Trough/CZ/ whatever it is looks like its firing off down into Kent, anyone in Basildon/Rayleigh down to Sittingbourne/Ashford way should keep an eye out for further development. :lol:

looks very threatening towards my NE

there's one over the I o Grain

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Mate i fully agree with you. I stopped listening to the met office years ago. I now do my own forecasting. I'm sick and tired of the bulls**t they keep putting out. But at the same time is also not all their fault, as the government is to tight as*ed to spend the money on getting REAL forecasting equipment like Doppler and similar computer systems to the NWS in the USA. They will eventually realize that they are going to have to invest millions into forecasting for this country as also the weather is changing.

Posted
looks very threatening towards my NE

Yeah you've got potential storms developing a few miles East of you, one powerful updraft already over Basildon way looking at Sat and radar.

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

It's very dark and oppressive here - 5 miles SE of Manchester Airport. Nothing happening, just a big black ominous cloud overhead not moving much...