Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 27th June >>

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

the london cell seems to have changed direction from wnw to ene and is now heading back towards me!! hopefully

Posted
Lets face it John, even though I'd made an argument for it, who pays any attention to the storm thread these days?...I started a 'reports' thread on the 10th June as there were quite widespread storms in the midlands, there were just 2 posts, making a mockery of the reports thread.....C,mon folks, as well as posting your current weather conditions here, they should be posted in the 'todays weather and chat' thread, and the 'storm reports' thread, not that many will listen..

to be fair, if there is an weather event i am currently facing and i am in the convective/snow discussion thread then its natural that you just post in that thread as you want to air your report as 'live' as possible.

At the end of the day, this is a convective discussion thread therefore surely reporting storms/current weather is ON topic?, also how many people are going to keep switching threads to post/read live weather reports? Its just much easier to post in here and refresh the page but i guess i am just lazy.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

There's some very ominous looking cloud to the west of Bradford, which is heading WNW.

Posted

Kinell 8 pages already.

My aforementioned developing storm has indeed blown away to the west now and has an anvil on it, however a second CB is building rapidly to my east and has an increasinly darkening base. Given the wind direction and the way the last CB moved, this new one should pass right over me or clip this area at the very least, so I'm hoping it becomes electrified soon as the low level cumulus cloud blanket has melted away now so I'm hoping the sun should be able to get some heat generation going to feed any storms before twilight.

Posted
to be fair, if there is an weather event i am currently facing and i am in the convective/snow discussion thread then its natural that you just post in that thread as you want to air your report as 'live' as possible.

At the end of the day, this is a convective discussion thread therefore surely reporting storms/current weather is ON topic?, also how many people are going to keep switching threads to post/read live weather reports? Its just much easier to post in here and refresh the page but i guess i am just lazy.

Hit the nail on the head there i think!

Well I just posted my storm report in the 'Storm reports' thread. As for further developments this evening, I would say that's the last of the thunderstorms for my area but some quite intense cells moving NW out of London so something to watch out for.

They're barely moving at all. I expect some large rainfall totals in parts of London this pm :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Its a rather grey line where you post isnt it??......I think the gist of it is that this thread, during stormy periods is full of 'will it, wont it?, where' posts which just clutter up the thread rapidly and make thread-viewing difficult, not an easy one to sort out!

Posted

I can now see two stunners, tried setting up the webcam but it's too bright outside. I don't know if it's wishful thinking but i think it's moving toward me.

Posted
Well I just posted my storm report in the 'Storm reports' thread. As for further developments this evening, I would say that's the last of the thunderstorms for my area but some quite intense cells moving NW out of London so something to watch out for.

but wont they just fizzle out as the temps drop this evening? they r moving too slow

Posted
Looks like Wimbledon has just missed out for now...

It's close to Surrey so therefore inevitable that it will miss out(im sure the people there are delighted however)

Posted
the london cell seems to have changed direction from wnw to ene and is now heading back towards me!! hopefully

I was wondering if it was doing the same myself - clouds are really starting to darken from the original direction the earlier rumbles were coming from

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Hey GeordieSnow. I posted twice in last hour about the NW thunder. A couple of rumbles to east and southeast of me since 5pm (SW Bowland, 12 miles NE Preston). Light rain started 5.30pm brought haymaking to a stop. So we must be on the edge of the line showing on the radar. A pic of heavy rain was posted from Blackburn in the last, now locked, thread. Now rain almost stopped. Ground just dampened.

Posted
Got some rain an very distant rumbles, main storms passed just to the north of me, wish i'd gone on that cycle to Marlow now.. :o last time i did that tho i went away from the storms :o

Sorry to spoil it for you, no thunder heard here in Marlow. I heard a faint rumble just before 5pm at My village Life (former shire horse centre on the A4 at Maidenhead) I had been looking at cloud all day ( I was performing there and am there tomorrow) Rather dissapointed at lack of the skyward action.. Clearing here now, though some action may be had in High Wycombe and beyond to the North..

I had hoped to get some lightening practice with the camera...

Posted

An impressive bank of 'mashed potato' has been static and to the East of us (somewhere between Herstmonceux and Rye I imagine) almost all day. I can't work out how high it is but when you get near it seems to be several tens of thousands of feet.

Towers building continually within the mass, but otherwise stationary for the past 8 hours yet completely cloud free blue skies in Eastbourne + as far West as I could see from the South Downs.

post-6667-1246122705_thumb.jpg

post-6667-1246122741_thumb.jpg

post-6667-1246122784_thumb.jpg

Posted
I can now see two stunners, tried setting up the webcam but it's too bright outside. I don't know if it's wishful thinking but i think it's moving toward me.

Yep! If anything the Cell over London just seems to be growing and spreading out rather then moving anywhere!

Posted

rain is certainly getting heavier hopefully the sign of a big CG coming!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

To be honest John was probably aiming his remarks at me.

To be honest I don't see anyone moaning or complaining. In fact the opposite. Yeah ok I vented a little frustration this cell sitting next to me and doing bugger all, but how in the world is that moaning?! I was replying to someone saying it's just going to miss them, which it is me too. Theres always people posting that kind of stuff and not getting snide remarks.

As for live weather, it's in the convective thread, why because theres a hell of alot of convection going on.

Sorry but I really think your being pedantic.