Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Funnel Cloud, Ashford, Kent

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Not a bad chase UK style today in Kent, and I managed to bag my first ever UK funnel cloud!!

The storms I watched formed along the North Downs and were static for over an hour:

post-1052-1246138805_thumb.png

Around approx. 1410-1425 hrs, I spotted a grey lowering against the dark skies just NW of Ashford as I was heading towards the town, as I got the other side of the M20 at junction 9, it was apparent that a funnel was forming just NW of Ashford over Kennington way, so I parked up in a hotel car park and took these photos:

post-1052-1246138193_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1246138217_thumb.jpg

Bit further up the road, the last of the funnel before it disappeared:

post-1052-1246138292_thumb.jpg

Drove up onto the North Downs above Wye and saw rain shafts developing down in the Stour Valley north of Ashford:

post-1052-1246138391_thumb.jpg post-1052-1246138410_thumb.jpg post-1052-1246138430_thumb.jpg

Later, when I got back to Tunbridge Wells, some nice robust looking convection to the North towards SE London area, which transpired to be dropping marble size hail and caused flash flooding around Dartford closing the tunnel there.

post-1052-1246138589_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1246138729_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Nice funnel cloud there. Some interesting photos too, looked like a nice beastie of a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Bet you are pleased you got pictures, I have seen two in the digital age, at least I got pictures of one. The one I missed with the camera was very much more good looking with buildings ships and an aroplane in the view :doh::D

I must say the picture with the traffic lights is reminiscent of the states.

Thank you.

Russ.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Cant beleive I missed this! I was standing in a garden center carpark about 2 miles away.

I was looking at that storm from the other side and I even said to the missus "that looks like it's going to drop a funnel any minute now"

Well done Nick!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well done Nick.....IM JEALOUS.!! :wub: At least there is plenty of potential for storms and my area at the moment looks ok for the coming week.....My camera will be at the ready...Nice photos.... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Grea pics Nick, just like being back in the USA hey?.