Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I really doubt anything being recorded above 25c in the North East yesterday being right. 25c was the Highest for the Yorkshire area according to the Met Office.

Posted
I really doubt anything being recorded above 25c in the North East yesterday being right. 25c was the Highest for the Yorkshire area according to the Met Office.

Yeah the NE is Newcastle Tyne Wear area, so i could not have seen anything above 25 there yesterday.

Posted
Temp was 17.2c at 0700,

current temp as of 10:10am is 22.1c

lewis

Also why is it so hard to believe? Bridlington is right on the coast, and im 27.3miles away from bridlington :)

quite simple Lewis

the figs you have quoted over the 'heatwave' seem not to tie in with other data froma similar area.

would you do me a favour please?

send me, each day, your max temp and the max temp for Humberside airport for a comparison.

If they are within a degree or two then I'd accept your data, if any greater difference then I would tend to doubt your data.

its nothing personal I'm trying to get the apparent disparity sorted out.

cheers

John

Posted

to Lewis and Reef

the link is a map of your areas

can you please each put a cross where you both are for me please?

thanks

John

ta Lewis not there 'cos I forgot to put the link!

here it is

post-847-1246788894_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
to Lewis and Reef

the link is a map of your areas

can you please each put a cross where you both are for me please?

thanks

John

Hi mate didnt see a link to a map etc but i drew reefs location and also mine on the following image below;

post-2644-1246788738_thumb.jpg

Conditions at local time 11:16 on 05 July 2009 Temperature and Humidity

Temperature 22.0 °C Dew Point 15.2 °C

Windchill 22.0 °C Humidity 66%

Heat Index 24.0 °C

My current conditions according to the weather station

Posted

interesting to look at the map

I would guess that Reef is liable to be affected by sea breezes or estuary breezes as the tide rises and falls, Lewis unlikely in most circumstances to get that.

This MIGHT account for lower readings on some days with Reef and higher ones with Lewis.

It still does not answer the fact that on some days the temperatures shown by Lewis did appear too high, compared to other data, not just from Reef, from areas around.

Also as I've posted earlier the Bridlington data you quoted Lewis is very suspect this morning.

Not a definitive answer, all I can ask each of you is that you run a check, for a month of hourly readings IF you can and compare them to those from Humberside airport and possibly Donn Nook, right on the Lincs coast. Then send them me and I'll try and do an assessment.

Failing that then, I MIGHT, if invited drop in on both of you for a check on your thermometer exposures. Used to do it when in the Met O and observers wanted their site checked against the official standards.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
interesting to look at the map

I would guess that Reef is liable to be affected by sea breezes or estuary breezes as the tide rises and falls, Lewis unlikely in most circumstances to get that.

This MIGHT account for lower readings on some days with Reef and higher ones with Lewis.

It still does not answer the fact that on some days the temperatures shown by Lewis did appear too high, compared to other data, not just from Reef, from areas around.

Also as I've posted earlier the Bridlington data you quoted Lewis is very suspect this morning.

Not a definitive answer, all I can ask each of you is that you run a check, for a month of hourly readings IF you can and compare them to those from Humberside airport and possibly Donn Nook, right on the Lincs coast. Then send them me and I'll try and do an assessment.

Failing that then, I MIGHT, if invited drop in on both of you for a check on your thermometer exposures. Used to do it when in the Met O and observers wanted their site checked against the official standards.

ok that sounds fine with me, appreciate the time your commiting to me and reef, i'll be in constant contact with reef (thats if it's ok with him). And we will share readings, i'll also plot it on a graph.

I was thinking of doing some research myself, i thought about it the other year, i always say that around the humber, it's like a mini micro climate, it has its own funny way no matter what the weather is. Especially during thunderstorms, and the way convection works around here. I'm sure it has something to do with a mix of salt water and brackets of fresh water, so it's something i'm defently willing to spend a bit of time on.

I also over did it on the map i posted, but i updated it on this map :) .

I put reef a lil too far west :)

post-2644-1246789488_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Upon a recent open day visit to Reading University to see the meteorology department, they showed us around all the weather stations they have. They explained that even the most sophisticated stations with the best Stephenson screens aren't perfect, trapping in the heat during the day and not adequately letting it out during the evening, inflating temperature readings. Shortly after I was nearly killed by a weather balloon :) . So those reporting weird temperature readings probably don't have a faulty sensor or anything like that.

So it is probably simply a matter of positioning methinks, it isn't in the sun for long periods is it Lewis? Or trapped in a corner? (Our weather station was in a corner once, which strangely gave unusually high readings, we moved it along slightly and then the readings were more "normal")

Posted
post-2418-1246789155_thumb.jpg

Currently 21.0C here.

Now its currently 21.5c here :)

www.weatherinhull.com

Maybe we should look at wind direction over the past few days if Johnholmes could gladly find them, as this might have a knock on affect.

Posted
Upon a recent open day visit to Reading University to see the meteorology department, they showed us around all the weather stations they have. They explained that even the most sophisticated stations with the best Stephenson screens aren't perfect, trapping in the heat during the day and not adequately letting it out during the evening, inflating temperature readings. Shortly after I was nearly killed by a weather balloon :) . So those reporting weird temperature readings probably don't have a faulty sensor or anything like that.

So it is probably simply a matter of positioning methinks, it isn't in the sun for long periods is it Lewis? Or trapped in a corner? (Our weather station was in a corner once, which strangely gave unusually high readings, we moved it along slightly and then the readings were more "normal")

Where do you live?

And my weather station is positioned on a washing line pole (around 6 and a half feet off the ground, clipped onto its own pole. Its in the middle of my garden, garden length is roughly 37 feet in length, and only recieves 3-4 hours of direct sunlight at around 10am-1/2pm.

No mystery really. Unless you're running a good screen then in a normal garden this is going to have a huge effect at this time of the year.

And today is rather cloudy at times, which is why the difference will be much less. Pretty simple to be honest!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Did you recover any alien artifacts? :)

Posted
Did you recover any alien artifacts? :)

You've lost me :):)

Posted
No mystery really. Unless you're running a good screen then in a normal garden this is going to have a huge effect at this time of the year.

And today is rather cloudy at times, which is why the difference will be much less. Pretty simple to be honest!

Starting from today ill start making a graph, ill move around the station maybe too see if i get much difference in reading's. Upto now though the limited amount of rainfall or storms does not bother me, i witnessed a funnel/small tornado, and have seen some very torrential downpours during the end of May into June, but since then it's been very dry.

I wouldn't change my location ever, as the weather is so unpredictable here, it's amazing that a lot of people say it's the same old thing around the hull area in terms of weather, which is not the case.

lewis

Posted

The warm weather continues here as the temp is already upto 23c and it's feeling rather humid.

Posted
The warm weather continues here as the temp is already upto 23c and it's feeling rather humid.

Indeed, its a suprisingly warm day. Currently 23.5C...

...and 26.7C apparently in Bilton :)

I think its definitely the sunshine affecting your temperatures Lewis. At 13:00 Leconfield was the warmest station in the region at 22.2C.

Posted

Really quite warm here too, a pleasant 24.5c. Shame it wasn't around this temperature all last week really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
Indeed, its a suprisingly warm day. Currently 23.5C...

...and 26.7C apparently in Bilton <_<

I think its definitely the sunshine affecting your temperatures Lewis. At 13:00 Leconfield was the warmest station in the region at 22.2C.

The maximum over here in Keyingham was 24.1c which makes sense as Humberside was recording the highest in the country at 16:00 of 25C

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Yeah the NE is Newcastle Tyne Wear area, so i could not have seen anything above 25 there yesterday.

Im in Newcastle 6 miles east from the airport and about 9 to 10 miles from the coast, my max temp i recorded was 25.4c for yesterday ,

nigel

Posted
The maximum over here in Keyingham was 24.1c which makes sense as Humberside was recording the highest in the country at 16:00 of 25C

Yep, the maximum here was 23.8C in the end. So pretty similar.

Its actually the 3rd warmest day of this spell, now the onshore breeze has gone its lovely.

Posted

In a sense Leed is still in the heatwave, obviously not temprature wise, but it has been sunny from monday-thursday, Friday was the "breakdown" but after that we still have sunny weather and amazingly missed out on every single shower, even today there wasnt any rain at all.