Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
What heatwave ? B)

Is anywhere over 30 ? What a joke. The Met shouild be a ashamed of themselves putting out Level Warnings for weather that is warm to hot but nothing like a heatwave.

Come back when temps hit 35 + then put some warnings out. ggggrrreee

If you actually read the MetOffice website, I think you'll find they haven't announced a heatwave, there is currently an alert / 'watch'. The heatwave warning will only be triggered when certain conditions are met including night-time minima. All the details are on the MetOffice website. Whilst you may not be affected by 30c temperatures, there are many elderly people in urban areas who will be affected by daytime temperatures of 30c and night time temperatures of 20c. It is for the benefit of the health services that deal with the elderly and others that these warnings are issued.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
What heatwave ? B)

Is anywhere over 30 ? What a joke. The Met shouild be a ashamed of themselves putting out Level Warnings for weather that is warm to hot but nothing like a heatwave.

Come back when temps hit 35 + then put some warnings out. ggggrrreee

To be fair to the met we have not hit 30C for two years.

Plus the heatwave forecast also takes into account the high nightime minima, which will be around 20-21C.

If we lived in Greece or Turkey etc then I would agree, but the fact that we live in the UK and do not experience this type of heat on a regular basis means that this forecast is valid and should not be disgarded.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Posted

There's been a nice break in the cloud and the 1550z at Heathrow is reporting 31c. Now that'll be rounded up so it must be, at least, and probably is 30.5c

Whatever though it's gorgeously warm!!! :o

Posted
Wot heatwave? No heatwave here just a humidwave.

actually Pit that might not be a bad idea for a new meteorological term!

Posted
Sorry, just got to knock on the head the misperception that warm weather here is always more humid than in the med, that's rubbish.

It often is though, because we have quicker breakdowns than in the med. they have weeks at a time before humidty and t storms - in the eastern med, say crete, they can have no rain for 4-6 months at a time, and low humidity. we seem to drag in humid air from the oceans.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)
To be fair to the met we have not hit 30C for two years.

Plus the heatwave forecast also takes into account the high nightime minima, which will be around 20-21C.

If we lived in Greece or Turkey etc then I would agree, but the fact that we live in the UK and do not experience this type of heat on a regular basis means that this forecast is valid and should not be disgarded.

Better to be safe than sorry.

We have reached 30C in the last 2 years, the last time it hasn't reached 30C was in 1993 according to the MET.

First 30C of the year today in London, wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 33C on Thursday or Friday. So far it is only really a heatwave for the south.

Posted

courtesy of Wx Online

the following stations have reached what Met would term as hot, that is 6-8C above normal for this time of year

London-Heathrow AP (25 m) 31°

London Weather Center (43 m) 30°

Charlwood (58 m) 30°

London-Gatwick (62 m) 29°

Blackpool Airport (10 m) 29°

Filton (59 m) 29°

Biggin Hill (183 m) 29°

Staverton Private (29 m) 29°

Benson (57 m) 29°

Farnborough (64 m) 29°

Northolt (39 m) 29°

Middle Wallop (91 m) 29°

Coventry Airport (82 m) 29

Posted

I think those temperatures prove that this is not just a 'heatwave for the south', with Blackpool Airport seeing 29C.

It often is though, because we have quicker breakdowns than in the med. they have weeks at a time before humidty and t storms - in the eastern med, say crete, they can have no rain for 4-6 months at a time, and low humidity. we seem to drag in humid air from the oceans.

Ok, Heraklion, Crete - right now is reporting 25degC, not too bad, but with 21deg dewpoint, humidity 78% - probably more oppressive than anywhere here at the moment.

Then check out somewhere like Samos - 28C, 23C dewpoint. Just as we don't get maximum temperatures as high as the med, neither do we get as high dewpoints and humidity.

That the med stays dry for long periods in the summer is down to the prevailing pressure patterns. They don't normally start to see gradual inroads of frontal systems till September and October.

Edited by Interitus

Posted

one of the main reason they get no ppn in spite of the high temps and dewpoints you show is that the air above is extremely dry and not even being kick started over the Turkish mountains has any effect until late summer. Places further west, south France, Italy parts of Croatia and north Greece do have some storms, more the further west one goes, all thanks to the higher moisture at high level.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I think those temperatures prove that this is not just a 'heatwave for the south', with Blackpool Airport seeing 29C.

[/quote

It depends on what you class as a heatwave, I don't think you can call it a heatwave unless it is above 30C, and temps aren't exactly widely 29C in the north, there are a few hotspots though. If it was a heatwave everytime we reached high twenties in the south for a few days then we would have quite a few

Edited by robthefool

one of the main reason they get no ppn in spite of the high temps and dewpoints you show is that the air above is extremely dry and not even being kick started over the Turkish mountains has any effect until late summer. Places further west, south France, Italy parts of Croatia and north Greece do have some storms, more the further west one goes, all thanks to the higher moisture at high level.

Cheers for that, I had always wondered about that.

Posted

Think it peaked at around 28 here today (using the "car thermometer after cooling down" reading); the morning was mostly cloudy and the afternoon sunny. However around midday there was rain- first the spitting-type then for about 5 minutes a heavy shower, then back to light rain. However there was no thunder or lightning even though it was over 25C. I can't remember ever seeing this bog-standard British rain without either thunder, lightning or hail at such a high temperature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just a matter of opinion but bearing in mind the geography and latitude of different areas in the UK a heatwave should be constituted by different maxima per different locations. For example, a pleasantly warm of 25C across southern England can easily be beaten by a 28C in London which is certainly a heatwave for places further north but a more regular figure in London. Even though it is becoming for regularly reached here (bar the last two years), I'd say 28C is heatwave here in the southwest but perhaps more 30C in London.

As for the difference between a heatwave and a hot spell - I don't know. I've heard both mentioned on the forecast. It was also mentioned that these days would feel more continental but the air is dry over the continent and it is quite oppressive at the moment - more like the tropics. Just my view though - not a rant at the weather forecasters.

Reached 29.2C here today so the hottest day so far.

Posted

28.5c in my tin can, sorry van, today. Spending over 4 hours out walking in the sun I could feel myself getting burnt, I'll make sure I put plenty of sun block on tomorrow :lol:

Posted
Just a matter of opinion but bearing in mind the geography and latitude of different areas in the UK a heatwave should be constituted by different maxima per different locations. For example, a pleasantly warm of 25C across southern England can easily be beaten by a 28C in London which is certainly a heatwave for places further north but a more regular figure in London. Even though it is becoming for regularly reached here (bar the last two years), I'd say 28C is heatwave here in the southwest but perhaps more 30C in London.

As for the difference between a heatwave and a hot spell - I don't know. I've heard both mentioned on the forecast. It was also mentioned that these days would feel more continental but the air is dry over the continent and it is quite oppressive at the moment - more like the tropics. Just my view though - not a rant at the weather forecasters.

Reached 29.2C here today so the hottest day so far.

Good point- for Shrewsbury I'd say that 3 or more consecutive days above 25C is a heatwave, or 4 or more days out of 7 with the other 3 all reaching at least 21. A hot spell would be a week above 21 with only one or two 25s. Even by these relatively "cool" standards until now we haven't had anything I'd call a heatwave since Sept 2006, and only 3 hot spells since then (April 2007, early May and late July 2008). August has been particularly disappointing for heatwaves in the 2000s, with only that first 10 days of 2003.

Posted
courtesy of Wx Online

the following stations have reached what Met would term as hot, that is 6-8C above normal for this time of year

London-Heathrow AP (25 m) 31°

London Weather Center (43 m) 30°

Charlwood (58 m) 30°

London-Gatwick (62 m) 29°

Blackpool Airport (10 m) 29°

Filton (59 m) 29°

Biggin Hill (183 m) 29°

Staverton Private (29 m) 29°

32C a near certainty for this week now I would say after looking at those temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

From the met office...their definition of a heat wave.

Region Threshold

temperature (°C)

Day max Night min

North East England 28 15

North West England 30 15

Yorkshire and the Humber 29 15

East Midlands 30 15

West Midlands 30 15

East of England 30 15

South East England 31 16

London 32 18

South West England 30 15

Wales 30 15

These temperatures could have significant effect on health if reached on at least two consecutive days and the intervening night.

Posted
32C a near certainty for this week now I would say after looking at those temperatures.
i have just been on a train into london brdge that didnt move for 70 minutes. the temp on the train easily reached 35+ :lol: :lol:

recorded 32 on the car thermometer this afternoon

Posted
i have just been on a train into london brdge that didnt move for 70 minutes. the temp on the train easily reached 35+ :):)

recorded 32 on the car thermometer this afternoon

Jeez, that doesn't bear thinking about. The Met Office issue all these warnings to the government and the public, yet public services leave a lot to be desired, to put it politely.