Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted
Jeez, that doesn't bear thinking about. The Met Office issue all these warnings to the government and the public, yet public services leave a lot to be desired, to put it politely.
was a trackside fire at london bridge :) am just about stopped shaking with the effects of the heat on the train. they didn't even offer an apology when we finally got off the train at Charing X

Sorry off topic :)

Posted
courtesy of Wx Online

the following stations have reached what Met would term as hot, that is 6-8C above normal for this time of year

London-Heathrow AP (25 m) 31°

London Weather Center (43 m) 30°

Charlwood (58 m) 30°

Thanks John, I fully admit I didn't expect temps to get that high and thought that by 15.00 30C wouldn't be reached today.

Posted
From the met office...their definition of a heat wave.

Region Threshold

temperature (°C)

Day max Night min

North East England 28 15

North West England 30 15

Yorkshire and the Humber 29 15

East Midlands 30 15

West Midlands 30 15

East of England 30 15

South East England 31 16

London 32 18

South West England 30 15

Wales 30 15

These temperatures could have significant effect on health if reached on at least two consecutive days and the intervening night.

note

the poster above this one and comments about 25C not being classed as hot in one area but is in another-this explains how that is covered by Met

Posted

I think a heatwave is defined by what tempeatures normally reach in certain locations, a good starting point would be 25c+.

But it depends how often you reach these vaules, so some areas it would be higher and some areas around 25c.

I do think the Meto have been really picky when doing the regional values, for example the South West they have said 30c, well for most of Devon and Cornwall those sort of values are very rare indeed, more so in Cornwall. I would say anything higher than 26c would be more appropiate, seeing as it has too be a very strong almost perfect set up to reach the magic 30c, it struggles to get higher than 25c here, but we have reached it every summer bar the last two.

Posted

true enough DN

but remember its not just Devon or just Cornwall the area consists of Somerset as well, some tend to think of Bristol as being the SW also

Bristol, Filton and Yeovilton all reached or exceeded 25C today, not Exeter or other spots in your area though. There again the area has most of its reporting stations either on or near the coast or on or near the Moors so may not be that representative of all the areas. A difficult balance but I take your point.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, Exeter has been reaching 22-24C most days but I think the area is still yet to exceed 25C, so here not a heatwave but rather comfortably warm. This is likely to be due to the slight southerly breeze off the relatively cool English Channel.

Posted

So looking at the BBC forecast it'll be sunnier tomorrow than it was today. Surely it'll cloud up like it did today and yesterday....... Still getting warm quickly though. Temperature wise I think about the same as today. The GFS is showing 27c for tomorrow yet for today it was showing 28c. So will it actually be less sunny tomorrow? Or will the day be less warm due to a cooler night, because right now it looks like it'll be a clearer night than last night!?

EDIT; Lovely evening, calm, pleasant and with the whiff of BBQ in the air! Sadly England are loosing to Germany but what else was going to happen LOL!

Edited by hotsummer

Posted
true enough DN

but remember its not just Devon or just Cornwall the area consists of Somerset as well, some tend to think of Bristol as being the SW also

Bristol, Filton and Yeovilton all reached or exceeded 25C today, not Exeter or other spots in your area though. There again the area has most of its reporting stations either on or near the coast or on or near the Moors so may not be that representative of all the areas. A difficult balance but I take your point.

Sorry John and to those i missed out in the South West, but as you correctly say those regions tend to experiance much higher temps and its this which i think the Meto based their 30c range on, I do apologise i meant to mention this.

We reached 25.8c here today but i think we were lucky the sea breeze was cut off at lunchtime.

Posted

It does indeed vary by location. Here for example, the record maxima for June and July are both 30.2C (set on 19th June 2000 and 22nd July 1996), so several days in a row above 29C (as per the Met Office definition for Yorks and Humbs) would be very unusual indeed.

The best example of a heatwave I can think of was July 2006. That month had 14 consecutive days with maxima above 25C and 9 with minima above 15C. The month as a whole also had 28 days above 22C. So far, we've hit 22C just twice this summer!

Posted
From the met office...their definition of a heat wave.

Region Threshold

temperature (°C)

Day max Night min

North East England 28 15

North West England 30 15

Yorkshire and the Humber 29 15

East Midlands 30 15

West Midlands 30 15

East of England 30 15

South East England 31 16

London 32 18

South West England 30 15

Wales 30 15

These temperatures could have significant effect on health if reached on at least two consecutive days and the intervening night.

What about Northern Ireland? One of my favourite weather sites is that of the Armagh Observatory http://climate.arm.ac.uk/scan.html which has continuous records back to 1832, and some before that. In 3-4 years of looking at the site I am yet to find a single instance of 30C (or 86F) in any month at that station in that time, the highest I can find being 29.9 on 13 July 1983 and 18 July 2006.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
Sorry John and to those i missed out in the South West, but as you correctly say those regions tend to experiance much higher temps and its this which i think the Meto based their 30c range on, I do apologise i meant to mention this.

We reached 25.8c here today but i think we were lucky the sea breeze was cut off at lunchtime.

no need to apologise you have a valid point

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Rob McElwee on News 24 just said that he expected 33 degrees by Thursday....... that will be pretty awesome with the humidity around...think i will melt! :lol:

I think there has been a slight over reporting of the heatwave, while much of the country is having warm or very warm weather, the real heatwave does seem to be concentrated in the SE, perhaps the media shoudl have picked up a bit more on this aspect of it.

By teh way I am not blaming the Met Office at all in relation to this.

Posted
I think there has been a slight over reporting of the heatwave, while much of the country is having warm or very warm weather, the real heatwave does seem to be concentrated in the SE, perhaps the media shoudl have picked up a bit more on this aspect of it.

I wasn't aware Worcestershire was in the SE ...... Mind, only reached 30.5c here today (official stations were 28c+ with a number of unofficial station also above 30c here and in Gloucestershire)

Much of the country will this week experience temps as high or higher than anything in nearly 3 years. Even Glasgow has exceeded 26c - hardly a chilly day day on the Clyde! I call that a heatwave, even if some expect Shetland, Valentia and Cairngorm to all reach 40c before the media can say it's warm :lol:

Edited by Essan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Rob McElwee on News 24 just said that he expected 33 degrees by Thursday....... that will be pretty awesome with the humidity around...think i will melt! :lol:

Awesome isn't the right word, revolting more like! :lol:

Posted

I wouldn't call the current weather a nationwide heatwave, more a heatwave for London and surrounding environs and a very warm spell elsewhere.

Maxes of 30 degrees + look resigned for much of central and south eastern england only.

This is likely to end up a very decent warm spell but not an exceptional heatwave, however, the most notable aspect of the weather is the high humidity it will feel similiar to August 2003 in London in the coming days in terms of the humidity but no way near as hot temperature wise.

And what is it with Heathrow at the moment it seems to have been the warmest day day after day in previous hot spells other places like Gravesend and Wisley can steal the limelight, however, on this occasion it looks like the hottest temps will always be reserved for Heathrow, is the weather station located on the middle of the runway!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Felt heatwavish here...Max 27.6c!

I wasn't aware Worcestershire was in the SE ...... Mind, only reached 30.5c here today (official stations were 28c+ with a number of unofficial station also above 30c here and in Gloucestershire)

Much of the country will this week experience temps as high or higher than anything in nearly 3 years. Even Glasgow has exceeded 26c - hardly a chilly day day on the Clyde! I call that a heatwave, even if some expect Shetland, Valentia and Cairngorm to all reach 40c before the media can say it's warm :wallbash:

Perhaps I should slightly rephrase, to southern and Eastern areas of England, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/heathealth/

As I said before the met office is OK with this, the media are the ones that have said a heatwave across the UK.

Some parts of the UK are having a heatwave including you, but many other pars including Wales, much of SW England, and northern England, and Scotland are having warm or very warm weather certainty not heatwave today.

As example 28c in Cambridge, 17c in Weybourne, 17c in Bridlington, 29c in Blackpool, 21c in Milford Haven, 23c in Exeter and 24c in Glasgow.

Felt heatwavish here...Max 27.6c!

The heatwave classification for Wales is 30c, although it was nothing like 27.6c here,

It was nearer 22/23c, very warm in the sun, but a cool breeze, I wouldn't be complaining if had close to 28c.

The thing is it may well be downhill from here on in, I'd be more than happy to get 28c ish tomorrow and be proven wrong,

Posted
I wouldn't call the current weather a nationwide heatwave, more a heatwave for London and surrounding environs and a very warm spell elsewhere.

Well, London and surrounding areas like West Wales and Cumbria :wallbash:

London Weather Center (43 m) 31°

Northolt (39 m) 30°

Charlwood (58 m) 30°

Blackpool Airport (10 m) 29°

London-Gatwick (62 m) 29°

Benson (57 m) 29°

Pershore (31 m) 29°

Church Lawford (106 m) 29°

Biggin Hill (183 m) 29°

Coventry Airport (82 m) 29°

Brize Norton (81 m) 29°

Staverton Private (29 m) 29°

Filton (59 m) 29°

Farnborough (64 m) 29°

Cambridge (15 m) 28°

Stansted Airport (106 m) 28°

London City AP (5 m) 28°

Hereford/Credenhill (76 m) 28°

Kenley (170 m) 28°

Shawbury (72 m) 28°

Crosby (9 m) 28°

Cranfield (111 m) 28°

Birmingham (99 m) 28°

Coleshill (96 m) 28°

Boscombe Down (126 m) 28°

Marham (21 m) 28°

Lyneham (147 m) 28°

Herstmonceux (52 m) 28°

Bedford (84 m) 28°

Little Rissington (210 m) 28°

Hawarden (9 m) 28°

Middle Wallop (91 m) 28°

Odiham (118 m) 28°

Mildenhall Royal Air Force (10 m) 28°

Luton AP (160 m) 28°

Valley (10 m) 27°

Lakenheath (10 m) 27°

Wittering (73 m) 27°

Andrewsfield (87 m) 27°

Keswick (81 m) 27°

East Midlands (94 m) 27°

High Wycombe (205 m) 27°

Trawscoed (62 m) 27°

Rhyl (76 m) 27°

Walney Island (14 m) 27°

Larkhill (133 m) 27°

Of course, you might think 27c in normal in the Lake District in June?

Many places have seen their highest temps in nearly 3 years.

Edited by Essan

Well, London and surrounding areas like West Wales and Cumbria :wallbash:

Of course, you might think 27c in normal in the Lake District in June?

Many places have seen their highest temps in nearly 3 years.

It wasn't very warm everywhere, I attempted to give a wide cross section of temps in my previous quote, but this time i'll cherry pick.

As example 17c in Weybourne, 17c in Bridlington, , 21c in Milford Haven, 23c in Exeter and 24c in Glasgow.

It wasn't hot in SW England, SW Wales. Eastern coastal strip of England, warm yes, hot NO, and with 30c the heatwave threshold over much of the UK, not that may places reached this.

Posted
Perhaps I should slightly rephrase, to southern and Eastern areas of England, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/heathealth/

As I said before the met office is OK with this, the media are the ones that have said a heatwave across the UK.

Some parts of the UK are having a heatwave including you, but many other pars including Wales, much of SW England, and northern England, and Scotland are having warm or very warm weather certainty not heatwave today.

As example 28c in Cambridge, 17c in Weybourne, 17c in Bridlington, 29c in Blackpool, 21c in Milford Haven, 23c in Exeter and 24c in Glasgow.

So 29c in Blackpool is not a heatwave?

it was nothing like 27.6c here

Ah, well, that explains it :wallbash: )

It was also 29c in Liverpool.

Of course overnight minima also determine a heatwave and especially the issuance of a health warning. Not all of us will be sleeping tonight .....

btw just enjoyed seeing Rob McElwee saying it'll be nicer on Thursday under some cooling rain pushing in from the west. Obviously not a Reptilian! :lol:

Incidently, if temps across a wide swathe of England and Wales were around 7c to 10c below average in January, would people agree it wasn't really cold?

Or, indeed, if maxima in June were only 10c? Which it needs to be one day to balance out todays temps and bring an average of 19c-21c :wacko:

So 29c in Blackpool is not a heatwave?

Ah, well, that explains it :wallbash: )

It was also 29c in Liverpool.

Of course overnight minima also determine a heatwave and especially the issuance of a health warning. Not all of us will be sleeping tonight .....

btw just enjoyed seeing Rob McElwee saying it'll be nicer on Thursday under some cooling rain pushing in from the west. Obviously not a Reptilian! :wacko:

Under the Heatwave threshold of 30c for North West England from the Met Office, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/heathealth/ , there was technically not a heatwave in Liverpool and Blackpool, however I can understand this seems a bit strange, by the way I didn't know that anywhere in Wales had anything like 29c.

Locally it was the hottest day since last Wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

There is no heatwave here, even though it is warm, today reached 24C, it has not been very warm or hot, 2003 was called a heatwave where even on the coast it was reaching 30C. Bournemouth only reached 23C today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Already in June we have reached 31C for the first time since September 2006, beating the last 2 years' measly 30C maxes on one day, and 33C is possible later in the week.

As I said before, the heatwave is only really in the SE, it is very warm elsewhere, but 25C should never be classed as a heatwave in my books, it isn't rare for London to hit 30C just as much as 25C is quite easily reached on a sunny day in the north.