Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms & Convective Discussion

Tim B

Posted

Shall we have a new topic for today and tonight?

As the other one is getting a bit.. Long.

Presently there is no indication that there will be storms in my area today as the only convection is normal, fluffy cumulus clouds like you get on any summers day.

I do hope something comes through today though and cools things down for tonight as it's too hot around here right now and I hardly got any sleep last night due to this humidity.

Posted

latest BBC forecast.

Intense thunderstorms for Devon and Cornwall tomorrow morning......Spreading North

her words NOT mine

Edited by dogs32

Posted

some dark clouds to my West atm, can't hear or see anything atm, the way the clouds are going it would appear sea breezes have not arrived as of yet thankfully. Fingers crossed it stays like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Latest BBC graphics showing some exceptionally heavy rainfall for SW parts along with parts of Wales, overnight tonight and more so into tomorrow.

More so, Rep of Ireland :lol:

Looking nice up across the NE at the moment :lol:

post-3790-1246454005_thumb.png

Edited by Harry

Posted
Wednesday 1 July

WEATHER WARNING

Thunderstorms will develop this afternoon across parts of northern England and southeast Scotland. With such high levels of humidity feeding the storms, the resulting rain will be torrential.

There is a risk of some localised flooding.

Valid until 2200BST.

That is what the BBC are saying Here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

knowing the beeb forecasters, it'll end up drizzly, uniform stratus cloud with a keen easterly wind...lol......anyhoos, hottest day of the year here, 30.8C now, very humid, convection getting going with some rather impressive towers close by...The outside chance of a storm here,more chance further north....and then once again it'll be eyes to the SW to see what happens tonight/tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
That is what the BBC are saying Here at the moment.

Just had about an hour and a half of on and off torrential rain. Really intense with huge drops and roaads flooding. Rumbles of thunder heard too.

Wish I could get away from work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It seems as if everywhere away from SE-facing coasts is too hot for comfort?

Posted
latest BBC forecast.

Intense thunderstorms for Devon and Cornwall tomorrow morning......Spreading North

her words NOT mine

Unless its moved east a bit it was gunna miss gloucestershire of it dies out as it moves to bristol :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Seems that way - it's 30C again here at the moment but I can't say its unbearable - though looking at the data it does seem a bit less humid here than the rest of the UK - not too sure why, but seems to be the case.

Have a suspicious feeling this may be why the SE is not looking too good for storms judging by present forecasts! Need a surge in humidity and fast :lol:

Posted

Is a bit though these gin and tonics I keep making probably aren't helping much, as refreshing as they are to drink.

On another note, the lightning detector is interesting as it is showing the majority of the activity in the north east, opposed to the north west that has been the predicetd trouble area today.

Posted

I'm suspecting and i could be wrong but there could be a sea breezes developing now as any convective clouds heads east, it melts away. It looks like if i am going to see any lightning, i may have to get a good view to the west as i have my doubts anything overhead will develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Seems that way - it's 30C again here at the moment but I can't say its unbearable - though looking at the data it does seem a bit less humid here than the rest of the UK - not too sure why, but seems to be the case.

Have a suspicious feeling this may be why the SE is not looking too good for storms judging by present forecasts! Need a surge in humidity and fast :D

My guess Harry, would be something to do with oceanic-atmospheric interactions; cooling from beneath perhaps??? John? TWS? :D

Is a bit though these gin and tonics I keep making probably aren't helping much, as refreshing as they are to drink.

On another note, the lightning detector is interesting as it is showing the majority of the activity in the north east, opposed to the north west that has been the predicetd trouble area today.

Same with my vodka and oranges, mate... :lol:

I know. Storms never do turn-up where they're expected!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Remarkably from nowhere, we have thunder here!! :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

We have some massive cumulous shooting up to the east here, black at the bases. Really seem to be developing, but they're not diverting the manchester planes as yet...

Posted

15 minutes ago....

post-4149-1246455961_thumb.png

5 minutes ago...

post-4149-1246456005_thumb.png

now, thats what I call explosive development......thundering loudly now, almost overhead!

Posted
Unless its moved east a bit it was gunna miss gloucestershire of it dies out as it moves to bristol :D

Did you see the lunchtime (13.40) forecast on BBC1 Points West with Richard Angwin?

A real point of note for all NW members in Wiltshire (yes I am talking to me :lol: ), Bristol & Gloucestershire : tomorrow looks like produce torrential thundery rain for Devon/Somerset but, into the evening as it moves further E/NE, the system, to quote the forecaster, will lose energy to become heavy showers.

I think our best chance could come if the front holds out West allowing the heat to build and produce thundery showers during the afternoon.

To be honest we could get better thundery showers over a wider area once it turns more unsettled over the weekend!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Heavy shower has started here but as I'm still a member of the no storms club - no thunder - naturally :D :lol:

I give up!

Posted

these fast developing cells are heading up the M6 corridor, dont now how long they'll last but they're heading due north towards Manchester

Posted

Ironically Ive just been reading Tornado Alley killing some time, and took a glance at the radar to see that explosion south of Stoke. Looking towards that direction I can make out some CUs building through the Altocumulus with heavy bases through the haze. That caught me off-guard to say the least.

Posted
these fast developing cells are heading up the M6 corridor, dont now how long they'll last but they're heading due north towards Manchester

Thanks for the update! I hope they make it here as the flow is coming from the north midlands area. A cumulus is developing overhead now and producing a few heavy drops. People just north of me take note.

Karyo

Edit: proper shower now, the road has turned wet here in Wythenshawe!

Edited by karyo

Posted
Starting to thunder from the dark shower cloud to my West, saw one flash of CC lightning, i hope it makes it over here

Actually its starting to rain now.

lucky you none here