Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms & Convective Discussion

Tim B

Posted
Just to let everyone to the NW of me know, explosive convection taking place. And I see Meto have expanded the warning to include the NW Midlands and the West Midlands county. :D Yeah right, like I'm gonna see anything today.

Thank you mate, this is confirmed by the latest radar image which shows a line of sharp showers approaching Manchester! I can't wait to finish work! :D

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Another dark thundercloud heading this way, but some blue sky is now visible between the clouds. The convection is very impressive!

Posted
Just to let everyone to the NW of me know, explosive convection taking place. And I see Meto have expanded the warning to include the NW Midlands and the West Midlands county. :D Yeah right, like I'm gonna see anything today.

Yep. I think we will be the spawning ground today, but who knows? :D

Posted

massive massive fork of lightening directly near my house there, thunder was exactly at the same time too. you really cant get any closer than that like :D

Posted

Fantastic this is, very heavy torrential rain which has flooded me garden so bad i would say its the worse i seen it since we moved here 13 years ago. Rain has almost stopped now.

A few lightning bolts and cracks of thunder, not as bad as the last storm though but the rain was more lengthy in this storm. 2 storms in one day, come like buses these storms. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Fantastic this is, very heavy torrential rain which has flooded me garden so bad i would say its the worse i seen it since we moved here 13 years ago. Rain has almost stopped now.

A few lightning bolts and cracks of thunder, not as bad as the last storm though but the rain was more lengthy in this storm. 2 storms in one day, come like buses these storms.

You wait two years for a bus up there?? :D:D

Edited by Harry

Posted

Congratulations to all you north-easterners on getting some storms. Its been a long time coming. :D

I am still waiting for a storm from this particular hot spell, maybe this evening if the met office warnings come into fruition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Homegrown storm now over Jodrell Bank. Quite intense thunder.

C

Posted

I think are final chance is from this import coming into SW england as they call it thundery rain chances are low here im guessing.

Congratulations to all you north-easterners on getting some storms. Its been a long time coming. :D

I am still waiting for a storm from this particular hot spell, maybe this evening if the met office warnings come into fruition.

Hopefully!

I haven't looked at any charts today, so I wondered why the warning for S. Yorks and the North Midlands was later (from memory I think it is valid from 17z to 21z, so quite a short period of time) Is something coming up from the south later this pm?

Posted

Jodrell Bank......hehehe!! :D

Saw those cells on NW radar a little while ago - looking good!!

I think are final chance is from this import coming into SW england as they call it thundery rain chances are low here im guessing.

Not sure why people in the SW are feeling dejected/pessimistic?? You have to remember the MCS in early June - forecast to run up into the SW however instead smacked the SE, eventually as a veil of cloud. All the plume of storms has to do tonight is drift slightly further E - I don't think it's outside the realm of probability for that to happen! Besides, if its v warm and HUMID where you are, I'd expect you to be in with a fair shout.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hearing some interesting stories here. Some of the roads have been flifting and the A68 is closed. The foundations of it are in one of my collegues friends kitchen!

Looks like another shower heading for Consett soon, can't wait to get out of here at 5 and see whats going on on the roads, sounds exciting!

Posted

I can see that cell to the east of me on the radar and lightning detector now (the one I posted pics of a couple of pages back) and it is very close, I'm surprised I haven't heard any thunder yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

C

Storm clouds right over the dish now.

C

post-3489-1246461185_thumb.jpg

Posted
You wait two years for a bus up there?? :D:D

:D feels like 2 years sometimes!

Things have brighten up but still pretty cloudy, all the thundery acitivity seems to of gone now, i doubt there be anymore thunder now but torrential rain is more than welcomed.

Best storms for a long time here and yet down south, people would rate these as average which shows how rare thundery activity it is up here.

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Rain's just reached me and thunder every minute. Huge clouds but no lightning yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Good to see the storm lovers in my native Tyne & Wear coastal area getting some big ones, it's about time really. After all, the 1993-2008 mean annual thunder frequency for Cleadon (according to my records) is 7 days per year- i.e. the area may not get many storms but it still gets the odd one from time to time.

It might be my turn in Exeter tonight and early tomorrow as the GFS outputs show an intense zone of convective precipitation moving through the area and the storms are already visible over France and the Channel.

Posted

C

I can see the CB to the south of me. It is slowly approaching so I am hoping it keeps its intensity.

The sky to the south of me has turned really dark!

Karyo

Posted

Spoke too soon! Can see it all now! A couple of miles away at the moment...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

How come NW front page never seems to take into account the actual storm forcasts.

For Bridgnorth today - 71% storm chance, which lets face it, is better than just a 'maybe'

Yet if you click on the full forecast, you get a thunder/lighting symbol, 71% and partly cloudy?! Met office sneeked in abit?

Of course storm forcasting is a dodgey business, but surely we can get it a little more accurate than that.

No chance of a storm here at least looking at the charts and how I read them anyway. Theres no convection, no nothing. Though I would love even just a shower to cool it down abit lol.

Ok cue me getting shot down by the mods lol

Kain

Posted
:D feels like 2 years sometimes!

Things have brighten up but still pretty cloudy, all the thundery acitivity seems to of gone now, i doubt there be anymore thunder now but torrential rain is more than welcomed.

Best storms for a long time here and yet down south, people would rate these as average which shows how rare thundery activity it is up here.

Hmm...not so sure you've finished just yet - further quite intense cell following behind could come v close to you within the hour

post-3790-1246461684_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Distant thunder started again now, brief spell of sunshine though and its back up to 26.8C :D