Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

The rain here has been so heavy in the last 1/2 hour that the traffic was slowing everywhere and the streets looked like rivers. Is that storm in the midlands moving Manchester way? Looks possible on the rain radar...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
No thunder but sky box picture has gone - good sign?

No....means you have broken Sky box! :lol:

I managed to get to sleep for a couple of hours...It must have been a deep sleep, because my other half has said that its been thundering! :doh:

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

rains stopped now, hopefully the sun will break through quickly! looks like i have missed out again today :doh: with the SE and the midlands/NW getting the action.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Been chucking it down for about an hour or so now. Heard a bit of thunder earlier, I wasn't expecting heavy rain like this, when I went bed at 4am all that precip down South was dying away quickly. Then I got woken up at 8:30 by the sound of torrential rain and I check the radar and it's just blew up as it hit the Midlands!

Posted

Morning all,

Looked very promising late last night here, lightning activity just rapidly died out, still not a bad show off in the distance.

Steve

Posted

The front out west looks more or less like a non event it keeps moving east then out back west its struggling to make land and weakning all the while.

Only giving light/moderate rain atm so i think our chances have all but gone for today and the week..unless it intensifies as it finally moves west but the thing is it feels a lot cooler here atm and there is no sun with very high based cloud cover.

Edited by todd1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Yay i just heard it thunder!

Bit to the west of me i think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

fairly heavy rain with some distant thunder thrown in now

Posted
rains stopped now, hopefully the sun will break through quickly! looks like i have missed out again today :lol: with the SE and the midlands/NW getting the action.

Hardly a drop of rain in over a month here and it looks like the drought it set to continue :doh:

Posted

I got caught up in the storm currently progressing North over the Peak District. Started out as Drizzle as I was in Buxton but got home about 10am and was welcomed with torrential rain and 3 flashes of lightning followed by explosive thunder.

As I type another flash to the SW towards Kettleshulme, so its still got life in it yet after not doing much for 40 minutes.

Posted
Hardly a drop of rain in over a month here and it looks like the drought it set to continue :doh:

Takes the left trouser leg, this is what my weather station in the BGarden says;

Highest Rain Rate 5.4 mm/hr at 20:17 on 20 June 2009

Highest Hourly Rainfall 2.7 mm at 20:17 on 20 June 2009

Highest Daily Rainfall 10.5 mm on 20 June 2009

Highest Monthly Rainfall 15.9 mm June 2009

Total rainfall in 2 months and 3 weeks is. here it comes..... 65mm

Dam this is a drought

And around 90% of the total is convective rainfall not frontal!

Edited by Lewis

Posted
Takes the left trouser leg, this is what my weather station in the BGarden says;

Highest Rain Rate 5.4 mm/hr at 20:17 on 20 June 2009

Highest Hourly Rainfall 2.7 mm at 20:17 on 20 June 2009

Highest Daily Rainfall 10.5 mm on 20 June 2009

Highest Monthly Rainfall 15.9 mm June 2009

Total rainfall in 2 months and 3 weeks is. here it comes..... 65mm

Dam this is a drought

And around 90% of the total is convective rainfall not frontal!

A few spots of rain here :o :o :o The grass is brown nearly everywhere and i can't see us getting much rain let alone a storm :doh:

Posted

Very suprised at the radar, didnt expect the ppn to gain so much intesity so quick, rain likley to be here in a bout 30minutes, anyone know if there is any lightning involved in this.

Posted

Is it raining in the Stoke-on-Trent area?

Rain gone lighter here but still dark1

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.
Nothing but light rain here in the end, how typical.

At least you've had 'something', we've missed out full stop!

There'll be plenty of other times to look forward to :doh:

Posted

Currently;

Temperature 21.2 °C Dew Point 17.1 °C

So with a bit of luck, i may see something developing South of me within the next 45 mins to an hour. Theres certainly convection out there, suns now breaking through so this will hopefully aid convection.

Posted
GFS 06z points to encouraging levels of CAPE for many areas on Sunday and Monday. One to watch/hope :doh:

Yep, although i can't see where its coming from, i mean the temps are gunna be around 17-19c tops, so dont know what the trigger will be lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Had torrential rain for about 1/2 hour, just normal rain now- but the Sheild holds strong in Notts with No thunder or lightning from that. Can you believ Notts has not had a SINGLE rumble of thunder during the past 10 day heatwave! I was so hoping for at least one storm :doh: Might get a tail-whipping from the south-end of the storm as its just passed Leicester, please dont go west!!!

Edited by Crimson_Sprite

Posted
Had torrential rain for about 1/2 hour, just normal rain now- but the Sheild holds strong in Notts with No thunder or lightning from that. Can you believ Notts has not had a SINGLE rumble of thunder during the past 10 heatwave! I was so hoping for at least one storm :doh: Might get a tail-whipping from the south-end of the storm as its just passed Leicester, please dont go west!!!

I can hear thunder here... storm heading this way from the south. looks intense on the radar.

Posted
Yep, although i can't see where its coming from, i mean the temps are gunna be around 17-19c tops, so dont know what the trigger will be lol.

With low pressure in control, heat is not necessary for showers and thunder. The sun will be outr between the showers to provide some surface heating and that's all we need.

The weekend (and onwards) convective prospects look better today than they did yesterday!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!
I can hear thunder here... storm heading this way from the south. looks intense on the radar.

I see what is coming your way! it looks like 2 seperate pieces from the east side! I need this major one to spawn some thunder babies! :doh:

Posted

Rain just started, very heavy rain, verging on torrential, and the heaviset ppn isnt even here yet !!

Posted

MEGA RAIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!! Rochdale looks like its gonna get slammmed any moment! Anyone here any thunder there?