Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
East Midlands is the best place to be today I feel. I have a good feeling about later :)

Have you got thick cloud where you are?

I have heard Midlands could be best, Peak District and Pennines, North East Anglia, counties around and in London. I think its like JH says. Watch for convergence zones setting up.

Incidentally John, do you know where I can find a chart to show convergence zones? :)

Posted
Have you got thick cloud where you are?

Yes, it's fairly overcast at the moment. Here's the local forecast:

FORECAST FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

A fine start to the day across the county this morning. In fact, we are likely to see some good spells of sunshine although with low pressure close-by cloud will tend to build and ultimately this will bring some sharp showers later this morning and through the afternoon. Some torrential downpours are possible yet again today accompanied by thunder. It will be a cooler day with temperatures struggling to top 17C, any increase in temperature dampened by cloud development and showers. A light breeze to begin with freshening later to a gentle or occasionally moderate north-westerly. Any lingering showers will peter out this evening and the overnight period will stay dry with lows falling to 12C.

Source: http://www.brixworth.demon.co.uk/updates/weather7.htm

Posted

Morning everyone, interesting day. Not as interesting as yesterday as thunderstorms will be more locally confined to areas in the east and the south east.

Convection is bubbling up accross parts of the home counties, west yorkshire around leeds and bradford. I think for me that storms are more likely to build south of me, or just out into the north sea.

Either way, i hope some of you guys that are still in the "no storms club, get out of it today" :)

lewis

Edited by Lewis

Posted

Jyst had a very hevy rain shower in Leeds center winds picked up as well, not T&L though

Convection building and moving in from the east, on the top left on the screen http://160.9.161.231/view/index.shtml

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Sun is breaking through here, hopefully this should kickstart something.

Posted

The low grey cloud of earlier has now broken into rapidly towering cumulus. Once the sun gets out it will take little time to set some big showers off.

Posted

First pulse of showers now approaching me from the east, about 20 mins away, take a look at webcam link in my sig,

Posted
:) And now its starting to warm up a little.......

post-6667-1246958296_thumb.jpg

Same kind of sky here in Bexleyheath too :)

Posted
  • Location: Lowestoft, Suffolk. (the UK's most easterley point) 131ft [40m] amsl
  • Location: Lowestoft, Suffolk. (the UK's most easterley point) 131ft [40m] amsl

Is it me, or is the NW 5min radar stuck on 0910? I can't get it past that point, which is a bit irritating on a day like today. :):)

Posted
Is it me, or is the NW 5min radar stuck on 0910? I can't get it past that point, which is a bit irritating on a day like today. :):)

use raintoday.co.uk if you can :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Jesus, we just had a cloud burst or something. It was like a monsoon or something!

Pretty awsome rain, never seen anything like it. Not electrical though!

Kain

Posted

sun has been in and out for the last hour and clouds are looking pretty dark and threatening in all directions!

im watching very closely cos it sure looks stormy to me! just wondering if there has been enough heating from the sun to set off a storm or not? :)

Posted

Mines working alright. A refresh? Restart the browser?

Posted
post-8593-1246963516_thumb.jpg Ive just had my first luton import of the year , although it was not the the biggest. a couple of flashes and bangs and torrential rain :) Edited by remymartin

Posted

Showers lasting 2 mins or so, with about 4 in the last 15 mins. A couple of rumbles of thunder mixed in. Blustery, 17.7c.

EDIT: Quite a big shower with thunder coming now, look at this cloud!

Torrential rain now, with IC lightning. This one is right overhead!

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

Looking good today for us in London, hopefully!

Black skies around at the moment, and in the blue skies in between, some big big cloud structures and some definite anvils already (this was about 30 mins ago)

Didn't hear any thunder yesterday, though apparently there was some at home in the afternoon, along with some very gusty winds and as my mum said, "the clouds were really churning". Hopefully my luck will be in a bit more today, along with other areas of the SE that have missed out recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Finally the low cloud is starting to clear a bit and is being replaced with chunkifiers (CBs) If the sun comes through and warms it up a little I reckon we will have a fantastic storm day. Come on sun!!! Good to see convection though!

Posted

Worth a note as well, the clouds are moving a lot slower today by the looks of things :) storms should hang a round a little bit longer hopefully, BUT might mean little more flooding in places....

Bring it on :)

Posted
Mines working alright. A refresh? Restart the browser?

It's all ok now, many thanks. Tried refreshing etc etc earlier, but nothin happened! :)

Posted

nah! i'll take back what i said in my last post!

i just went outside! there is rain but nothing more! it's just a flat rain cloud!

sun is gonna be out again soon though