Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

We Need Your Help!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

All done :)

Posted

I note that your Michael Fish forecast requires I go out and buy XP or Vista.

I hope this "upgrade" doesn't similarly demand a new operating system.

Do the new "bells & whistles" features do anything we really need? If so, fine.

If they require a new operating system then I just don't feel like supporting MS's aggressive obsolesence policy. I'm quite happy still with my Win98SE. It has all the features I need.

len

Posted

Unfortunately windows98 is seriously outdated, technology has moved on significantly since then and you're going to find there are things across the net that you don't have access to. Without knowing the ins and outs of win98SE, if it can't play flash based videos (which is what the michael fish forecast uses), then there's not a lot we can do. Just as a matter of interest though, have you tried getting the latest version of flashplayer?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I'm assuming you're using IE6 still on that system, in which case there will be some features on the new forum which you won't be able to access, but it will be fully functioning in terms of the bare bones of making, viewing and reading posts etc, with just some of the bells and whistles unavailable to you.

Posted

Unfortunately, Paul is right, Len.

Windows98SE is somewhat outdated now. Even Microsnot doesn't support it anymore. (Shame really as it was the safest, if not slower OS I've used in my 10 years online) XP still has holes in it like a Swiss cheese, and I still refuse to upgrade to Vista as legend has it that OS is even worse! :) )

But as Paul suggests, update to the latest flash player. Depending on your own desktop/laptop specifications, you may just be able to get away with it but with things like YouTube online videos... They may take some time to upload. :)

Speaking of which... We have Linux, Microsnot and now even Google has an OS planned. (Chrome isn't it?)

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
Windows98SE is somewhat outdated now. Even Microsnot doesn't support it anymore.

Not strictly accurate. Paid for support for Win3.11 for workgroups was only dropped about six months ago ....

Posted

The i.e 6 issue is as real bugger as alot of corporate places are still working on i.e 6(even on windows XP) so people might start to have issues accessing it from work.

Although I add that they should be working and not playing !.

Posted

As I say, IE6 won't be an issue in terms of standard functionality, there are just some additional features which may not be available as it doesn't support them.

Posted

I note the comments about Win98SE being beyond support.

But this means support from Microsoft who have the agenda of forcing me to buy a new OS. So obviously they have an interest in pulling the rug ASAP.

Whereas I have found all the support I have needed on Internet Forums.

I was sold Win98SE with a new system some 8.5 years ago; because the vendors (Dell) said the "new" (ME) system was crap!

Win98SE hasn't been superceded because MS fixed all its faults in a new OS. No, MS has simply replaced one perforated, buggy system with another, then another.

And it is the new gimmicks, bells and whistles that are used to actually force our upgradings. Software writers seem addicted to exploiting these new "features" so people are forced to "upgrade" to prevent exclusion from using 3rd party programs that inevitably demand newer systems. eg Adaware SE now requires XP.

I just wonder why everyone wants to actively help Microsoft acheive this aggresive obsolescence?

Len

Posted

Sorry Len, but I think you're barking completely and utterly up the wrong tree.

Since the days of windows 98 there have been significant improvements in technology and additional features (such as flash video) which use that new technology. 11 years is a heck of a long time in technology terms, particularly when it comes to the internet as during this period it has leapt on hugely.

The hardware (assuming you've not upgraded it in 8 years) and the os on your pc is now way out of date, it's obviously your choice as to what you do with it, but if you're finding it doesn't allow you to access everything you would like to then that's not a symptom of ms or other software vendors wish to make you upgrade, it's because you're using out-dated technology which is not compatible with some items.

If you don't mind that, then cool - you get what you need from your pc and that's fine, but if it is a problem to you (and I assume it's becoming one based on your posts), then perhaps it's time to bite the bullet, dust the cobwebs off of your wallet and update to a newer pc :D

(and just to confirm, the new upgrades on here will still allow you to use all the important features on your current setup)

Posted

Hi Len, I still use my old computer sometimes, it's a P4 with 128K RAM running windows ME :lol: It's running Opera browser and just about (if you don't mind waiting a while!) Avast anti virus (free) software. It works, but just very slow. I haven't yet tried to hook my Atari ST up to the internet. Stupidly I sold my C64 for a pittance.

Posted

The forum upgrade is likely to happen this week (more info on this later), so if you've not done it yet please take a mo to clear any unwanted pm's out of your inbox as it'll really help the switchover go more smoothly.

Cheers

Paul