Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Took this pic looking SW 10 mins ago. Black over N \Wales, Irish Sea off Liverpool I'd reckon.

Gradually clouding up here more too. Good sunny morning. Temp now 20C, has been 21.3C midday

post-9606-1247491180_thumb.jpg

Posted
Just some fair weather cloud amongst blue skies here at the moment - not looking good for any convective weather, though every single map and chart seems to agree with that :(

:) Harry didn't those 2 days last week sate you for the rest of summer :) ?

I'd settle for one close rumble at the moment. It's getting so bad that I was under a gazebo at a party on Saturday evening, when it was raining heavily, & I got excited at a flash only to be told it was a camera!

Recent satellite picture maybe showing a trough from south wales to around the solent which may be worth keeping an eye on.

It developed beautifully from the South coast through the morning, one of those occurences where the NW radar really comes in useful for reviewing what's happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The sky has gone very dark to my south/south west as the trough approaches. No lightning showing on the NW detector but there's time for that later as the second trough moves in from the west.

Heavy rain will do me nicely.

Posted
Heavy rain will do me nicely.

Me too, I'm not fussy! :(

I might just catch the western edge of the Mids trough but it doesn't look impressive. The trough coming from the west, southwest is looking much juicier. Western Wales is now affected by heavy rain!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Just a few showers passing through out the day. A couple this morning were on the heavy side, but nothing thundery.

Posted

A few strikes over N.E Scotland. Some pretty heavy showers around here but nothing electrical yet.

Posted

That line of showers to my south appears to be weakening,although i wasn't expecting anything today anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
I might just catch the western edge of the Mids trough but it doesn't look impressive. The trough coming from the west, southwest is looking much juicier. Western Wales is now affected by heavy rain!

Karyo

You're right about it not being impressive. It looked quite good for a while between Birmingham and here but in the event turned into half an hour of light rain with a gusty SW wind, predictably though there was some intensification as it moved a few miles to the north of me.

More potential from the trough moving in from the west. ETA around 1800-1830 I think.

Posted

post-8218-1247496183.gif Valid from/until: 14:30 - 00:00GMT on Mon/Tue 13th/14th July 2009 for the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:

SW England

Midlands

N England

Wales

S Scotland

THREATS

Isolated tornadoes; marginally severe hail; wind gusts to 55mph; CG lightning; heavy rain.

SYNOPSIS

Strong vort-max moving NE through Irish Sea. Showers and thunderstorms, exhibiting 'long' radar echoes, indicated of strong shear - indeed, 0-6km shear of 35-40 knots is present on the eastern side of the upper low. In addition, 0-1km SREH of over 100 J/Kg is present. These storms bring the risk of isolated tornadoes, perhaps to T4, given the low-level shear, along with wind/hail.

Forecaster: RPK.

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

post-8218-1247496237_thumb.jpg

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
A few strikes over N.E Scotland. Some pretty heavy showers around here but nothing electrical yet.

fantastic lightning storm here in Banchory, lightning for about 30mins, the clouds are actually rotating and is easily visible. the rain drops are very limited but when they fall they are very large. power disturbances in the business centre also.

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted
constant thunder here. frequent lightning to nw

That sounds promising for here later! The only thing i don't like is the wind that has picked up quite a bit...

Karyo

Posted

A very heavy, but short-lived rainstorm just moving out of Solihull. Should be over Birmingham City centre and heading NNE as I type. No thunder however.

Phil.

Posted
fantastic lightning storm here in Banchory, lightning for about 30mins, the clouds are actually rotating and is easily visible. the rain drops are very limited but when they fall they are very large. power disturbances in the business centre also.

update, still going on, sheet lightning with crashes of thunder. clouds are still rotating, they are rotating very quickly, is there a tornado chance for NE scotland? never seen clouds move so quickly...

Posted
update, still going on, sheet lightning with crashes of thunder. clouds are still rotating, they are rotating very quickly, is there a tornado chance for NE scotland? never seen clouds move so quickly...

Awesome. If they are rotating i'd say there was a chance! Are you taking any photos? :D

Posted
Awesome. If they are rotating i'd say there was a chance! Are you taking any photos? :D

I will try, however, i'm at work and i dont know if my boss would appreciate it. I will try when i go for a break. Brilliant storm though. Hope it lasts into the night

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Some heavy showers today though nothing of note.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There are anvils to the east, southeast and south...Will they get here BEFORE convection dies down, that is the question? Look forward to your pics, Yeah!! :D

Posted

According to local weather there is going to be lightning tonight, which would be great hopefully right after dark :D

Posted

The radar has really come to life! Scattered heavy showers over the Mids but it's really Wales where the most precipitation is! Everything moving north/northeast.

Hopefully an interesting late afternoon and evening.

No Met Office warnings for here though which is surprising!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Fairly heavy showers, but nothing too significant yet

Posted

Torrential downpour here, no electrics - Dissapointed again, we must have a thunderstorm this YEAR!

Posted

whey ...some nice thunder and lightening just gone through .....wrexham and chester in the firing line now as it was pepping up more and more as it went through :D:D