Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/storm Discussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

in what can only be described as totally frustrating shrewsbry had a storm at 6pm! However I was on a train back from London and missed it! Worse the storm before this 3 weeks ago I missed as I was on a train back from London! Nightmare!

For anyone in the shrews area I'm off to London again on the 29th so get ready for another storm!

Is there anything more frustating that being away from home and missing a storm! Not happy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

A real torrential downpour here in Flint at the moment. We had some torrential rain with a flash of lightning earlier apparently around 5pm but I was in work at the time so didn't hear any thunder at all.

Posted
in what can only be described as totally frustrating shrewsbry had a storm at 6pm! However I was on a train back from London and missed it! Worse the storm before this 3 weeks ago I missed as I was on a train back from London! Nightmare!

For anyone in the shrews area I'm off to London again on the 29th so get ready for another storm!

Is there anything more frustating that being away from home and missing a storm! Not happy!

agreed! happened here last Tuesday, and storms are rare these days so why do they occur when we're not around? :lol: :lol:

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Coupled up again. Had only a few claps of thunder 6.15 -- 40pm, mostly just to the west of here. An hour's steady rain though. Very light now.

Posted

Skies going dark again here, latest radar shows a couple of decent cells that are maybe heading my way.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Coupled up again. Had only a few claps of thunder 6.15 -- 40pm, mostly just to the west of here. An hour's steady rain though. Very light now.

Evening Rainy

Send it East across the Pennines lol

saying that we do have rain , but thats all at the moment , 3.1mm in the last hr

Posted
Everything is just disapating as it hit's us mate. Pretty onionse really.

It's chucking it down here again mate, and the shower is heading straight for your area.

Posted

4.6MM last hour , still No thunder though

Posted

Just done a bit of Nowcasting for AJPoolshark and a very very interesting radar return from South West of his location, zoom into south of Bromsgrove and there is a Hook Echo!

Have told him to head East about 7 Miles as he can visibly see a Wall Cloud.

Paul S

Posted
So that would be Redditch then? I'm off for a look out of the window. It has just chucked it down here

Further East along the M42 - But yes very near Redditch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Grr were missing the heaviest stuff by about a mile. :doh:

Posted

hi all

just a quick report before i get on with me radio show, we just had a mother of a storm pass right over us here in Conisholme.

the storm had run out to sea but the rain was torrental for nearly 20mins non stop, partially flooding the front drive, the drains just could not cope with the volume of water.

plenty of CG and noise.

looks like from the radar there is a ribbon of storms headin in my direction from the SW.

wow that one was good.

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Threatening looking skies to my South now. :doh: Probably just a couple of miles away over North Worcestershire. :doh:

Shame there is no storms but there is heavy rain.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
I can't see a Hook echo on Radar :doh: Is he sure it's a 'wall cloud' and if he is, obviously it must be rotating to suggest any potential of tornadic activity.

Well the radar I am looking at has a Hook echo at 815pm and 830pm - What radar are you looking at and Is it zoomed in enough ??

Aj has been chasing a while so if he phones me and says he is seeing some Rotation and a Wall cloud to his South West and from looking at the radar sig I have seen then he stands a fair chance at something Tornadic.

Paul S

Aj is being clobbered by the rain band now as he is heading home.

He said he will post the pics when he gets back in an hour or so of the Wall Cloud with this Storm, alas no Tornado for him though.

Paul S

Posted
Ok, but I thought that for a hook echo to be visible on Radar, there would have to be large scale rotation such as those in Supercells where the precip wraps around the circulation giving the 'hook' effect.

Btw I'm looking at the NW Radar, not sure if the resolution is good enough to spots such things though. Visually, it is getting a darker to my S so maybe something interesting in the next few minutes or so. :doh:

Yes I have the NW Radar and also the Rain Today one, it shows on the rain today but not as you say on the Netweather one.

Put Rain Today into Google and when the map comes up zoom into Redditch and You can see the Echoes there and Aj's position along the M42 East of Redditch.

Paul S

Posted

Im not sure if ive just observed a very small funnel. It was very small but quickly developed a brief funnel look then dissipated very quickly. Very unsure about it though wouldnt be surprised with the conditions right now. Very stormy looking to my south west now. Will rain heavy very soon.

Posted
Aha! I see what you see now on the Rain Today radar, does look defined, though I'm doubtful that there's any circulation going on in there, more I think the shower is just the shape of hook but that's just my opinion. Did look good though!

Getting increasingly dark to my S though Radar only shows moderate rainfall.

Its very threatneing looking here. Just begining to rain. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Evening all.....well, that was an interesting journey home!....I was driving west on the M42 with one of my work collegues, just past the M42/M40 interchange and we both spotted an interesting cloud formation to my SW...My first thought was 'Thats a Wall Cloud, with tail cloud'...took a couple of dodgy pics on my mobile whilst driving...I pulled off at Junction 3, nr Hocksley Heath, gave Paul S a ring to see if anything interesting was showing up on radar nearby, he mentioned a possible 'hook echo' at my location...the cloud base was a mile or so to my SW....I saw definite fast rotation in what I can only describe as low scud spinning around on a horizontal axis pass overhead SW to NE, this was accompanied by a sharp wind squall and heavy rain/hail mix....I drove back NEwards towards Solihull, but coudnt see anything due to the rainband.....I then carried on down the M42, and then north on the M5, but looking at this evenings posts, was very interested to read 'Blizzards' post on a possible funnel, as I'm sure I saw a short-lived funnel to my west in a seperate cell around 9:00pm, which would be to the east of Stourbridge....The whole incident nr Hockley Heath only lasted a couple of minutes or so, but wow, serious adreneline rush!! :)

mobile phone pics at a distance of 5-10 miles....very poor quality but I was doing 70 mph at the time!...I'm going to run them through photoshop later, see if I can zoom and clean up a bit........I've some mobile phone video footage of the overhead scud rotation which I'm trying to work out how the hell to upload and post....Hopefully it will be up later

Image126.jpg

Image127.jpg

Posted
Evening all.....well, that was an interesting journey home!....I was driving west on the M42 with one of my work collegues, just past the M42/M40 interchange and we both spotted an interesting cloud formation to my SW...My first thought was 'Thats a Wall Cloud, with tail cloud'...took a couple of dodgy pics on my mobile whilst driving...I pulled off at Junction 3, nr Hocksley Heath, gave Paul S a ring to see if anything interesting was showing up on radar nearby, he mentioned a possible 'hook echo' at my location...the cloud base was a mile or so to my SW....I saw definite fast rotation in what I can only describe as low scud spinning around on a horizontal axis pass overhead SW to NE, this was accompanied by a sharp wind squall and heavy rain/hail mix....I drove back NEwards towards Solihull, but coudnt see anything due to the rainband.....I then carried on down the M42, and then north on the M5, but looking at this evenings posts, was very interested to read 'Blizzards' post on a possible funnel, as I'm sure I saw a short-lived funnel to my west in a seperate cell around 9:00pm, which would be to the east of Stourbridge....The whole incident nr Hockley Heath only lasted a couple of minutes or so, but wow, serious adreneline rush!! :)

mobile phone pics at a distance of 5-10 miles....very poor quality but I was doing 70 mph at the time!...I'm going to run them through photoshop later, see if I can zoom and clean up a bit........I've some mobile phone video footage of the overhead scud rotation which I'm trying to work out how the hell to upload and post....Hopefully it will be up later

Image126.jpg

Image127.jpg

Looks to me like a nice shower, that's about it. I doubt they was any rotation, not calling you a liar of course, but i very much doubt they was rotation. Impressive cloud structures though, we had some from some showers earlier around 7-8pm, looked just like them pics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Looks to me like a nice shower, that's about it. I doubt they was any rotation, not calling you a liar of course, but i very much doubt they was rotation. Impressive cloud structures though, we had some from some showers earlier around 7-8pm, looked just like them pics.

What exactly does that statement mean?.....Sorry, but posts like that irritate the hell out of me....How can you say 'doubt there was any rotation'...were you there??

there was fast rotation, enough to make several cars pull over and people getting out to observe, my collegue was on his phone describing it to his wife...Radar returns confirm my ground observation