Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For those who would like to have a good moan about the past, present and upcoming weather, fire away!

Posted
I cant believe there won't be a single air frost in 2013!

There will be LOADS of frosts in 2013. It's global cooling don'tcha know......

.....and thank goodness for that because I hate hot weather like that vile and repulsive spell we had a week or two ago.

Bring on the Autumn and Winter, I say. :drunk:

Thank you for the whining opportunity, TWS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I want warmth, the cold can wait a while

Edited by Tribe3000

There will be LOADS of frosts in 2013. It's global cooling don'tcha know......

.....and thank goodness for that because I hate hot weather like that vile and repulsive spell we had a week or two ago.

Bring on the Autumn and Winter, I say. :)

Thank you for the whining opportunity, TWS.

You speak for yourself - Personally I enjoy bright cold crispy days with a little DRY snow on the ground in the winter :cold: and in the summer I love the long warm clear evenings where we can sit outside in the garden and have a "barbie" :) . Vivre la difference entre les saisons! :D

What I hate are the horrible dull dreary days with 8/8 stratus where there is little difference between June and December in the weather. :(

Posted

The weathers not been all to awful recently, for example it was clear and sunny on Sunday which gave me a good tan top up.

Up until 30 minutes ago today was lovely also.

However...very much fed up of waiting for high pressure to arrive now, i don't even care about a major heatwave so much anymore considering im going to Cyprus next month but it would be nice to have a week or so of sunny skies and 22-25c.

Surely thats not to much to ask for?

Rather annoying that for the third July in a row the jet stream is right over us, though for once this year we had a heatwave around the peak UV index time so that i do thank 2009 for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not sure whether this is the right thread? But I'm whining anyway...Even with the Samsung software installed, I still can't get past all the Miicrosof BS and install my cloud pictures!!! :good::(:good::(

Posted

Can't say I feel much need to whine about the weather hereabouts. Here in the south its felt on the better side of average for the past 3 days. Apparently its set to change on Thursday to something worse. We'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Since I started the thread, I may as well have a little rant myself- though some of the latest "positive" posts in the Model Output Discussion, to be fair, have been a bit of a breath of fresh air.

But for the most part in a UK summer:

If we get a heatwave lasting over a week, we get an air of negativity because it's too hot.

If we get a settled dry spell (whether sunny or cloudy) lasting over a week, we get an air of negativity because it's too boring.

If we get anything less than the above two, we get an air of negativity because we aren't having a proper summer and need a "sustained settled spell", and when we get one, one of the above two categories applies.

My other rant is simplistic viewing of the charts. People seem to assume that high pressure automatically means wall-to-wall sunshine, when, to take an extreme example, the high pressure spell of late August last year was widely the dullest of the month- and for some western parts, wasn't even particularly dry. Perhaps it partly stems from the textbooks teaching us that high pressure is good, low pressure is bad, though it also has similarities with the spring assumption "warm = sunny & dry, cold = dull & wet". The problem is not people having their preferences, but rather letting their preferences bias their views of the charts.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
Can't say I feel much need to whine about the weather hereabouts. Here in the south its felt on the better side of average for the past 3 days. Apparently its set to change on Thursday to something worse. We'll see.

We're already getting some chunky and heavy showers, with only short gaps, here in SW Wales (Swansea). Relatively chilly too for July, apart from a vaguely warmish feel in this morning's very shortlived sunshine.

The downhill trend looks likely to spread further East and South on Thursday (especially) and Friday it seems. So far the SE seems to have escaped the worst though admittedly ....

However...very much fed up of waiting for high pressure to arrive now, i don't even care about a major heatwave so much anymore considering im going to Cyprus next month but it would be nice to have a week or so of sunny skies and 22-25c.

Surely thats not to much to ask for?

Rather annoying that for the third July in a row the jet stream is right over us,

I long for this (and no more, and it can be confined to Southern counties if necessary) for later next week, but I have severe doubts right now/so far that such a quick change can be possible

I hate the Jet Stream. Screwer up of far too many summers, and my expectations aren't even that high or unrealistic.

All I'd like is just a return to modest pleasantness and some more sun (we've been short o it in Wales of late although other parts further East have done better).

And only limited/intermittant showers, rather than a heatwave which would be a bonus but not at all obligatory for me.

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

Well to me in recent decades we seem to get prolonged periods of either very dry weather or prolonged periods of very wet weather and not the mixed weather of my chidlhood when high prssure followed low pressure in typical British weather fashion. We have now had nearly 10 days of rain at some point in every 24 hours with todays particularly heavy and thundery this afternoon, no use for cutting the last of the hay. Am very glad we got some excellent hay at the end of June .

Posted

The jet stream was shown of the weather later yesterday and it should be over iceland they said but it was shown just below us but giving us all these wonderful torrential thundery downpours last 2 days :D , the 4th year I`ve seen that now on the BBC since 2004.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's just not warm nor sunny enough for my liking. The only time it's felt like summer has been the sunny mornings with temps over 16c negating the need for a jacket. By afternoon it's either chucking it down or just breezy & cool feeling. July is one month of the year I'd like to keep some windows open but it just isn't possible all the time, especially in the evenings after all the rain.

In April or May this would be late spring exciting weather, in July it's just annoying.

Saying that I'd rather have this now than in two weeks when I go to Cornwall for the week - now desperately hoping for a pattern change. The beach nor walking nor sitting outside the pub nor bbq's nor much at all just aren't much fun in the rain.

OK not as bad as last summer *yet* but it won't be a lot different if the rest carries on like this. We only got 2-3 days of heatwave here and still haven't made it to 30c yet.

Eagerly awaiting the change before the long tiresome drag of the dark/cold season begins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

wimbledon was miles too hot, better now last 3 days 21oC max. looking at models i dont think there will be another hot spell before 31 July, but still 20oC is decent temp, wont be washout

i dont really want a repeat of wimbledon weather, not done very well with storms either since wimbledon! many of my storms come off westerly type convective weather rather than a hot spell breakdown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Where was this thread during the hot spell, I could have filled it in 3 days :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Where was this thread during the hot spell, I could have filled it in 3 days :)

3 days eh- good job since you'd have only had 3 days of hot to whine about!

I must say moaning about the 'unbearable heat' (which it really really wasn't in the slightest) in this country is like desert people moaning about the unbearable rain (2mm maybe) they get once a year for couple of days!

Luckily for those of you that enjoy average weather in a cool climate - you're in the right place in the UK!

Posted
Luckily for those of you that enjoy average weather in a cool climate - you're in the right place in the UK!

That's the thing though, the reason why many people in this country don't like very hot or very cold weather is because we aren't used to it. In southern European countries, houses are built for the heat and now many people have air conditioning. If I had air con I wouldn't mind heat at all!

Posted

The summer so far hasn't been too bad tbh really when you think about it, not a patch on last summers termoil, although this is for the lucky ( :p ) places right on the east of the pennines (leeds Bradford Harogate), so far wall to wall sunshine all week, no rain to speak of and temps in the low 20's (21.c usually), cos rain dies over the pennines and crosses over us as cloud then the ppn gets its act together again and we miss out on all the rain, the South East isn't doing too badly either, very well in-fact with temps there generally in the low to mid twenties. But anywhere west the weather does seem pretty dire constant band of heavy rain and a constant feed of showers and at times strong winds no too good for warmth. Oh i love been sheltered by the pennines

Posted
That's the thing though, the reason why many people in this country don't like very hot or very cold weather is because we aren't used to it. In southern European countries, houses are built for the heat and now many people have air conditioning. If I had air con I wouldn't mind heat at all!

Thing is - I find extremes of heat or cold more of an event and actually enjoy the 'coping' with them. I like the way everyone is talking about it and the way routines are changed from the norm in order to 'cope'. A break from the norm is always a good thing!

Posted
Thing is - I find extremes of heat or cold more of an event and actually enjoy the 'coping' with them. I like the way everyone is talking about it and the way routines are changed from the norm in order to 'cope'. A break from the norm is always a good thing!

Cold is much easier to cope with I think. Just shove a few extra layers on and it's a cheap and effective way to keep warm. Heat you can't really escape unless you have a swimming pool, air conditioning or a walk-in fridge. It is much nicer to sleep in cold as well, just get cosied up in a thick duvet. In heat sleeping (or trying to) is just hell.

Posted
Cold is much easier to cope with I think. Just shove a few extra layers on and it's a cheap and effective way to keep warm. Heat you can't really escape unless you have a swimming pool, air conditioning or a walk-in fridge. It is much nicer to sleep in cold as well, just get cosied up in a thick duvet. In heat sleeping (or trying to) is just hell.

I find no trouble sleeping in heat - just sleep with nothing on with windows open and all is well! Appreciate heat can be invasive - but then so can cold. Perhaps it depends on your house - mine is great in summer as it keeps cool but is very cold in winter. 1 hour of heating in morning gets it to 17c but by the time I get home it'll almost be in single figures again. I don't want to sit in my living room in a big coat, hat & gloves (hard to type!) so I must burn vast amounts of fuel to keep that nasty cold from invading.

Also, try cycling downhill in cold first thing in the morning - it's FREEZING. So you wear many layers - now try peddling for ten mins - you're now roasting hot & sweaty but still with frozen limbs & face!

Also, try cycling downhill in cold first thing in the morning - it's FREEZING. So you wear many layers - now try peddling for ten mins - you're now roasting hot & sweaty but still with frozen limbs & face!

Try driving or getting the bus :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There aint much I can whinge about this summer! :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
The summer so far hasn't been too bad tbh really when you think about it, not a patch on last summers termoil, although this is for the lucky ( :lol: ) places right on the east of the pennines (leeds Bradford Harogate), so far wall to wall sunshine all week, no rain to speak of and temps in the low 20's (21.c usually), cos rain dies over the pennines and crosses over us as cloud then the ppn gets its act together again and we miss out on all the rain, the South East isn't doing too badly either, very well in-fact with temps there generally in the low to mid twenties. But anywhere west the weather does seem pretty dire constant band of heavy rain and a constant feed of showers and at times strong winds no too good for warmth. Oh i love been sheltered by the pennines

Here isnt doing bad either. Not had loads and loads of rain. Its just average. Its been warm or very warm here often too.

My only complaint at the moment is how the East is bagging all the storms again recently. Grrr. :o