Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Try driving or getting the bus :o

For a 15 min cycle ride? Both those options would take at least twice as long!

Posted

Much better than last 2 years but its still going to be a wetter than average summer here. June was dull month with rainfall just above average. This month has been very wet locally.

Temps wise the heatwave only lasted about 3 days here, 5 days into the 70's so far this year.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
Cold is much easier to cope with I think. Just shove a few extra layers on and it's a cheap and effective way to keep warm. Heat you can't really escape unless you have a swimming pool, air conditioning or a walk-in fridge. It is much nicer to sleep in cold as well, just get cosied up in a thick duvet. In heat sleeping (or trying to) is just hell.

My sympathies for the heat-averse are very very limited right now!! :)

If we get more than one or two days next week with temps above 20C I'll count us as lucky, given latest model output.

I'm not even especially bothered about 25C plus heat, just as well as we seem unlikely to see any again before August, but what's driving me nuts right now is the shortage of sunshine, I'll take a dry sunny blue sky day at 19C or 20C over a thundery humid rainy day at 23C any time. Yesterday was our best day here in SW Wales (Swansea), it actually didn't rain! but far more cloud than sun around all the same. And that was the BEST day this week, otherwise since Sunday it's been nearly wall to wall cloud when there wasn't actually rain as well, with rare shortlived exceptions. And more rainy awfulness later today and tomorrow. This is July!!! :)

What I hate about this current Jet dominated pattern is the unrelentingness of it in the current models and forecasts, the feeling that we're doomed to be locked into Atlantic driven chilliness, wetness and windiness for at least a week, maybe more, with LP after LP sweeping in from the Atlantic with almost no respite ....

We're off to WOMAD near Malmesbury in Wiltshire next Thursday (23rd, up to Sunday 26th) and for now I see little or no scope for hope that we'll be spared plenty of rain and sub-20C temps and windy conditions for the whole festival ...... only faint hopes attached to outside possibilities of weather systems tracking further north by next weekend can help us ...

Us festival goers are among those most weather affected of any outdoor activity lovers ..... we were spared a mudbath

at Glastonbury this year and last (quite close escapes in both cases too!) but we're on a real knife-edge right now over whether or not we'll be spared the sort of Wiltshire washout that we got in late July 2007 ... this is our second biggest festival, between 25 and 30,000 ....

It's thoroughly depressing. Speculation by one or two in the model output thread of the current Jet-streamed pattern lasting for weeks isn't helping either ....

ETA for slight relief of the gloom ...

Snowyowl has just posted these for Sat 25th in the Model Output thread though, I hadn't previously seen them -- I suppose they provide straws of FI hope for those further South ...

As for later there is a light, this is what I wanted to see at the end of the month.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Recm2161.gif

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn2161.png

<prays!!>

Although the Met Office flatly refuses to see any of it yet for that time ....

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can't find anything to whine about! :):)

Posted
Much better than last 2 years but its still going to be a wetter than average summer here. June was dull month with rainfall just above average. This month has been very wet locally.

Temps wise the heatwave only lasted about 3 days here, 5 days into the 70's so far this year.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

I can`t believe it but so far this summer is wetter to this time last year by 0.5inches :lol:

Early June was notably cold and wet at the weekened,forgot about that,so June was wetter to last year by almost 1inch here.

Posted

Weather hasn't changed much - it's US getting old.

I came in from the cricket pitch opposite my house last week. The small kids in a junior match were having a brilliant time in the sunshine, batting with pads reaching just under their chins. Running around, staying healthy and playing sport that they will talk about for ever.

I folded up my chair and came indoors at 8.30 pm to find people posting on here from 10 miles away, moaning that we were having a useless summer.

GET OUT MORE. :huh:

Posted
Weather hasn't changed much - it's US getting old.

GET OUT MORE. <_<

I`ve just got out and I got soaked. :D

Great 24hours for going out look at that radar. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Bah wait all day for the 'heavy' rain to arrive and then it rushes through and the big dry blob is headed straight to us - and no storms either <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well Im not a lover of hot weather so in actual fact this weather suits me. But of course not to everyones liking! I think if we had endless days of hot dry weather I would be on here every five minuites! We are lucky to live in a country with such diverse weather and interesting weather.......... :)

Posted

Bit of an absence of diversity from overcast and wet and chilly and windy right now mind Mr Anyweather ....

I'll do a deal with ya -- sunny and dry and blue skies, but no more than 21C? :D

I`ve just got out and I got soaked. :D

So did I!! :D:)

Great 24hours for going out look at that radar. :D

Might stay in a bit more tomorrow mind!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

HHm was just about to start moaning about how un-servere the severe weather is as usual but a flash lit up the sky as i glanced up at it! :)

Still downgraded to 11mm from about 40mm of rain tommorow. Not exactly gunu be flooding the rivers over & up hardly!

...boom!!

level 5 severity?!! psss...

wow actually those must be some big bolt cos i can here and see them so many milesss away.

should probably move this 2 storm area not moan area?!

Posted

Just another observation its been like living in the tropics these last 10 days up here or so as most mornings start off dry and humid but by 2.00pm there are frequent thundery downpours and so haymaking is out of the question. Probably if you are nearer the sea near the Firth the showers have been more scattered but we are far enough inland to be affected by showers drifting north off the Cairngorms.

It rained for an hour ro so this evening and did see a couple of flashes of lightning whic was way off to the SW but heard no thunder. Now it is partially clear.

When are we going to get the nice SE'lys with a clear blue sky and temps just a little over 30C?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Right! Time for a damn good whine.

After all the forecasts of heavy rain, thunderstorms, all the weather warnings, all the expectation, what do I get?

3 hours of light-moderate rain yesterday evening followed by a dry and misty night.

I wake this morning and take a look at the rainfall radar to see a large circle of dry weather, the centre of which is almost over me, surrounded by large blocks of heavy rain over all the people who don't want it.

I'm off to fill a sack with ashes, strip naked and roll in it, whilst gnashing my teeth and wailing. I'll be back when I've had enough.

Posted

Absolutly pouring down here and cool-talk about summer-looks like we are in for the summer monsoon for several days-chunter chunter-moan-moan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Right! Time for a damn good whine.

After all the forecasts of heavy rain, thunderstorms, all the weather warnings, all the expectation, what do I get?

3 hours of light-moderate rain yesterday evening followed by a dry and misty night.

I wake this morning and take a look at the rainfall radar to see a large circle of dry weather, the centre of which is almost over me, surrounded by large blocks of heavy rain over all the people who don't want it.

I'm off to fill a sack with ashes, strip naked and roll in it, whilst gnashing my teeth and wailing. I'll be back when I've had enough.

Think I must have got all your rain - I was awoken several times by it hammering down on my skylight. Recorded 10mm since midnight. The River Leen is right up to the top!

I like the sack & ashes idea though - might try that sometime! :doh:

Posted

Have to admit, I thought the rain might have been greater like TM. Still, its saves watering again :doh:

I will have a whinge though. Not about the lack of weather, but the blinkered views on models.

Too much contradiction, not enough openess in the thought process.

Summer is over...my ass!

Posted
Have to admit, I thought the rain might have been greater like TM. Still, its saves watering again :huh:

I will have a whinge though. Not about the lack of weather, but the blinkered views on models.

Too much contradiction, not enough openess in the thought process.

Summer is over...my ass!

I hear you!

I'm very much opposed to people writing off any chance of any summery weather for weeks and months based on (admittedly) very negative model output at the present time.

Over on Model Output Discussion, a caution has been issued about viewing what happens beyond T96+ or T150+ as set in stone.

This is right now about my only concrete grounds for (some, limited) hope that next weekend won't be a chilly, windy washout in the South, but if I saw Jet domination as unbreakable for ever I'd be seriously losing it just now.

So more openminded, less categorically pessimistic contributions like yours are something to cling to. In near-desperation right now admittedly ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

This must be the worst possible situation for summer, if it cant be warm and sunny but instead be wet, then at least be properly wet. We had a total of 12.8mm of rain compared to the forecast of 75mm by a local BBC forecaster and now its just grey miserable and boring!

Posted
So more openminded, less categorically pessimistic contributions like yours are something to cling to. In near-desperation right now admittedly ...

I'm getting pretty edgy now as I'm on holiday 25th July- 1st Aug in Cornwall. Don't fancy being stuck in the house all week while the rain pours down. Want to go to the beach!

So I'm hoping for a ridge from the Azores to keep the south-west sunny...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I'm thoroughly fed up of this miserable, rotten, grim autumnal weather. How many more years are we going to have to endure without a summer? And how wrong can a

MetOffice long range forecast get??? :rolleyes:

Thank goodness I'm off to Corfu at the end of August. I will bring back some pictures of the sun to remind you all of what it occasionally used to look like in the United Kingdom prior to 2007.

Posted

Can anybody point me in the direction of the rain accumulations chart for the next 24 hours?