Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whining Thread

I have to be in agreement wholeheartedly with the above posters,, it is just boring, overcast and miserable nothing happening at all, of course i would love sunny weather better than anything as it does cheer you up but today we were hoping for some decent thundery outbreaks in the midlands but we just aren't getting any, summer isn't over obviously but time is running out fast as we are now just past the half way mark , i would say after late August proper heat is very rare outside of the SE you just have to count how many times 30C has been exceeded since 1974, i think you could count the amount of times on your hands its been that rare.

It is very easy to get into a summer is almost over mindset when the weather hasn't been great since early July and the models promise nothing great either, at least atm the warmer airmasses are dominating but as we enter August cooler sub 546 dam airmasses will start to become more widespread if we keep these northerly blocking synoptics up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
Summer is over...my ass!

I wouldnt like to place money on it not being over!

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
I wouldnt like to place money on it not being over!

I'll bet you a pint of your choice that the majority of the UK -- say most parts South of the far North of England at least -- will be strongly affected for several days by High Pressure, either Continetal or Azores, well before August is out. And in a warm** and largely settled and sunny fashion for most too.

**22C and over.

Remember that Glacier Point, at least when he last posted anyway, posted technical stuff quite supportive of this scenario for later ....

I'm getting pretty edgy now as I'm on holiday 25th July- 1st Aug in Cornwall. Don't fancy being stuck in the house all week while the rain pours down. Want to go to the beach!

So I'm hoping for a ridge from the Azores to keep the south-west sunny...

Good luck!!!

As you know I very much want a pleasant weekend 24-26 July as well, in my case in Wiltshire ...

Methinks realisticly that you'll do better towards the end of that week than right at the beginning though. :D

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
I'll bet you a pint of your choice that the majority of the UK -- say most parts South of the far North of England at least -- will be strongly affected for several days by High Pressure, either Continetal or Azores, well before August is out. And in a warm** and largely settled and sunny fashion for most too.

**22C and over.

Remember that Glacier Point, at least when he last posted anyway, posted technical stuff quite supportive of this scenario for later ....

ill bet that we dont get a widespread succession of over 3 consecutive days of 25'c+ !!! (like the last one).

thats one bet ill be happy to lose! :lol:

ps...im not saying that summer IS over, just that it wouldnt surprise me IF it is, ie no more 25c+ days (3+ consecutive, widespread across at least the central/southern uk) constituting a hot spell like the one at the end of june.

Edited by mushymanrob

GFS 12Z is really a terrible run, i think it might be as bad as GFS 00Z which i didn't think possible at the time :lol:

At least currently the airmass is still muggy if GFS 12Z comes off it`ll be wet but feel much colder also with a very cool polar cyclonic northerly airflow, i could imagine even more whining from people including myself if that comes off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

i think our summers are changing (like winters) from aug 06, really hasnt been a decent month, modern summer maybe started aug 2006? get way less hot sunny weather than we used to and way less storms, like winter way less cold weather and snow

although i know just in my area, other areas will be different but for me modern summer started in aug 06 (more low pressure azores high no where near us)

even larger teapot started in jan 2000, (less snow, more low pressure and less cold weather from easterlies)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ive completely given up for July now. I dont think August will be much better either. This has been one of themost depressing months ive known in a while. Only the first few days were OK. weve missed countless storms this month. Justlook at the East. It bags everything and nothing interesting has happened here this month. I know ive had 9/10 storms but we get nothing compared to what the East gets. Its UNFAIR!!!

Posted

Why people waste their time moaning over something they have no control over or can do anything about. Too many people with unrealistic expectations from Britain's weather. Our climate is known as being temperate for a reason. Sure, the weather annoys or disappoints us all at times, but there will be plenty of occasions in the future when it excites and thrills us. Life is too short to spending whinging about the weather!

Posted
Life is too short to spending whinging about the weather!

Well this is the whining thread and after the weather we have had in the northeast today i suspect there will be plenty of people who feel like a good whinge!

GFS 12z is not inspiring either. :good:

Posted

It my not be hot and sunny but at least the weather won't be boring, Spells of rain, sunshine and showers shall not be to bad, Its far better then sheet Gray cloud and humid. I think to many people expect 2003 and weeks and weeks of heat

Posted

Well just looking at last winter and having just looking at the jetstream charts,it`ll bode well for winter again this is just such a familar pattern last 3 summers.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn9614.png

But lows are tracking that little bit further south to last july.

FI chart showing the azores high,but the jet is still much too far south.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn2401.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn24014.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Is it ok to write off July now? Just that, well I don't know if anyones noticed, but it's cold, it's wet and it's windy. And judging by the models, it don't look great for the near future either.

However, there is some hinting from the GFS that HP may extend from the South but too far away to getting optimistic. I think we're starting to see our new Summer. Not one where, heatwaves will become more frequent and rain alot less common, more rather they will become wetter and windier.

Low tracking Jetstream will become a much more common feature for future Summers, and situations worse than July of 2007 will unfold.

Should this happen then we can expect alot of major problems to come. As this is the 3rd summerprobably on the trot with a pretty poor summer-should this continue then oh dear.

Posted
Over 110000 strikes of lightning in this country since midnight and ive only seen 2 flashes :D '

Thats 2 more than me! :D

Posted
Thats 2 more than me! :D

Yep, well be lucky to even see a strike by the end of july at this rate. What an awful month.

Posted
Ive completely given up for July now. I dont think August will be much better either. This has been one of themost depressing months ive known in a while. Only the first few days were OK. weve missed countless storms this month. Justlook at the East. It bags everything and nothing interesting has happened here this month. I know ive had 9/10 storms but we get nothing compared to what the East gets. Its UNFAIR!!!

What is wrong with the many days of sunshine and showers were it felt pleasant in the sun? Its been like that many days. I know its not wall to wall sunshine however its better than nothing, the temp has got up to 20c-24c many days. IMO those are the best summer temps. I'm just don't understand why this month has been depressing? Its not been relentless low pressure after low pressure with strong winds and heavy rain, nor has it been cloudy and dull. That is depressing.

Posted

The first 5 days or so were great, but now we seem locked in a world of Low Pressure. Yes inbetween the rain its felt rather pleasant but what i find annoying is that the Jet has dived South again to ruin the month. We love to have barbeques when we can in Summer but this month bar the first few days of the month we havent been able to have any. Lately its always been a sunny start only for there to be cloud and heavy showers by the afternoon or rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Certainly there have been nice periods this month - sometimes a morning will be lovely with sunshine but then by afternoon it'll be peeing it down. The only reason parts of this month have felt pleasant is because it is high summer and no matter how much the atmosphere tries - it is still high summer and any breaks in horrid weather will feel good.

Yes we can look to September for nice weather - and it does seem autumn has given us our better weather these past few years. But for a vast majority of us that means gazing (if you're lucky) at lovely sunny & warm weather all day only when you finally get home it gets dark & chilly.

The summer window when the day doesn't end when you leave work only lasts from mid April to early August at absolute best. Earlier on in the season it often turns chilly quite early (as its still spring) giving really only June & July as the peak warmth AND light seasons. To see week after week of this kind of dreadful unseasonal weather is very depressing and probably doesn't do our tourist industry much good either. It prob knocks up our carbon output too as everyone jumps on a plane to somewhere with nice weather!

But moan or no moan we can do bugger all about it - still it's good to whinge!

Posted
the Seasons just aren't as defined as they used to be,

I said exactly that to my Mother, in the late 1960s. :clap:

Posted
If you think this weather isn't depressing then this must be the norm for your area. I'm sorry but how can anyone not comment on this totally crap 'middle of Summer' weather. Yes, we had a nice decent warm spell late Jun/early Jul but but it was so brief, if you blinked, you probably would've missed it.

Well anyway, like I said in my previous post, people better start getting used to this sort of weather in future Summers because we seem to be locked in a pattern of a low tracking Jet every Summer. If I could, I'd be outta this country in a shot, the Seasons just aren't as defined as they used to be, it's all screwed up.

Just wish the weather was similar to the old days growing up as a kid, where Summer was nice warm sunshine througout most days of the Summer months and Winters were cold and snowy. Both have gone and will never return.

I don't find it depressing because the weather hasn't depressed me, I'm disappointed its not been Hot and Sunny but I'm not depressed. As i said what would depress me is if it was dull and cloudy every day, which it hasn't or if it was raining day after day with strong winds all the time, which it hasn't. Most of the days have been sunshine and some showers. Its not been wall to wall sunshine, in-fact sometimes the sun has been quite limited. However when the sun has been out its felt pleasant and warm.

I am missing the heat though, however we have August and i Suppose September left for that!

Posted

This is certainly a different month to July 1988 but that was a shocker with low after low and quite S-ly tracking too.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880706.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880724.gif

That July was a complete write off.

But even early august did bring a dry week,with a warm end to the spell.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880801.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880808.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
This is certainly a different month to July 1988 but that was a shocker with low after low and quite S-ly tracking too.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880706.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880724.gif

That July was a complete write off.

But even early august did bring a dry week,with a warm end to the spell.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880801.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119880808.gif

Unbelievable month just looked at the stats for Shap, Cumbria.

Mean temp 12.1C. Max for whole month was 17.2C. Mean max 14.6C.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco