Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Actually July 1988 managed (somehow) to produce near or slightly above average sunshine in parts of eastern Scotland and north-east England, including Tyne & Wear/Durham, but even those areas were very wet and rather cool. I can only assume that there must have been some brighter slots at times in the lee of the Pennines. Other regions had a very cloudy month.

There were similarities with July 2009 in that July 1988 began with a cyclonic regime with showers and then after the first week the jet powered up with a constant stream of Atlantic depressions and fronts moving across at regular intervals- much like a "zonal" autumn/winter month synoptically speaking though not quite as windy.

There has been some regional variation so far this month. Sunshine and showers dominated everywhere during the first third of the month giving sunshine 30-40% above average but while the sunshine and showers appears to have largely continued in some areas (it's been that way more often than not in Norwich) others appear to have become mostly dull and wet. It was particularly "driech" yesterday in many parts of north-east England. Philip Eden currently shows sunshine at 101% of average, my guess is that there will be considerable regional variation on top of that by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

So far overall this summer has not been too great.. We had nice spells in late May and late June, but in between it has been relatively poor with little sunshine here and temps below average at 21C best, it would feel nice if there was any sun but this has not been the case. I will not write of the rest of summer though because we still have about 2 months of it left if you include the first half of September, but so far it has been better than the last 2 years but still not great IMO.

Posted

Last May was great aswell as this may with the sunniest spell all year ,I`m going to cut hay in May next year. :rolleyes:

Early July sunshine was at a premium as there was so much cloud about,did have a few days but the end of last July gave more sunshine days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my whine the forum! can only use it going in to community at top, cant access it from bottom right of homepage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

my whine the forum! can only use it going in to community at top, cant access it from bottom right of homepage

Have you tried deleting you cookies, mate? See Paul's Q and A post...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The first 5 days or so were great,

the first 5 days for me were horrible..ive got a third floor flat in west london..even with all the windows open, my lounge and bedroom were suffocatingly hot..couldnt get the temp below 32c even at nighttime...much more pleasant 19c right now :D

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put these comments, but as it's a moan, I can't see why it shouldn't be.

I don't like the new style message boards. I find the new print style more tiring on the eyes to read; the colour 'contrasts' on the contents page are not so good for daltonists (those with colour blindness) like me; and it is really irritating that if you open a link it a post, it opens it in the same window, rather than opening it in a new window. I'm sorry if you've spent £,000s, but I don't like it. Sorry sad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I am so glad I am going to Italy at the weekend this rain and cold is really begining to annoy me now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put these comments, but as it's a moan, I can't see why it shouldn't be.

I don't like the new style message boards. I find the new print style more tiring on the eyes to read; the colour 'contrasts' on the contents page are not so good for daltonists (those with colour blindness) like me; and it is really irritating that if you open a link it a post, it opens it in the same window, rather than opening it in a new window. I'm sorry if you've spent £,000s, but I don't like it. Sorry sad.gif

All things we can & will tweak as the system beds in. Certainly agree about the links opening in new windows - will take a look at that.

Posted

Do we still have newest posts button? if so, where is it? If not I want it back lol. I am also getting annoyed with the way the smilies window opens when writing a reply. I tried to click on 1 earlier and it took me to a new page through what was behind the smilies. I'm not saying I don't like the new and updated version because I'm just finding my way, but it could just do with a few tweeks. Did I mention I miss the newest posts button??? lol

Posted

Do we still have newest posts button? if so, where is it? If not I want it back lol. I am also getting annoyed with the way the smilies window opens when writing a reply. I tried to click on 1 earlier and it took me to a new page through what was behind the smilies. I'm not saying I don't like the new and updated version because I'm just finding my way, but it could just do with a few tweeks. Did I mention I miss the newest posts button??? lol

If you hold down your [Ctrl] and wind-up your mouse-wheel, your font should get bigger.

It's at the bottom of the forum page, Jo. 'Today's Active Content'.

Hope it helps! :shok:

Edited by Pete Tattum

Well, come 15.09.2009 I will be catching the big blue and white bird in the sky and going to the south of France for almost 4 weeks - that is unless I have the oink oink flu!

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

I am so glad I am going to Italy at the weekend this rain and cold is really begining to annoy me now

Hints of at least a shortlived warmup for the weekend in the South, and for a short time afterwards, in some of the models now though.

No one wants to talk about pattern change but the Met Office, admittedly contradicting other models for now, has just started to hint at it.

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Yet another day of summer and the rain just keeps on falling!

Worse still i only get tuesdays of work and it has persisted down all day!

Im sick of this summer already lets roll on winter!

Im sick of this summer already lets roll on winter!

You`ll be saying im sick of winter already lets roll on summer in january :)

Joking aside i think many people on weather forums agree with you as they are very quiet currently, i think the excitement of summer is winding down for many now and weather fans are waiting for autumn to come and the forums will become alive again with talk of winter prospects and all the model discussion that goes with it.

I notice QVC is doing a special on thursday and friday for christmas items ;) , Christmas in July they are naming it :)

Posted

I'm really hoping that we see a more settled theme become established for August to make it our 'main' Summer month this year, particularly as I'll be on holiday in Cornwall for the second half of the month. It really needs to be better than the almost total washout experienced last year!

Posted

Well its another day in the tropics here with the usual midday cloud burst (as it has been more or less since the begining of July), very humid hardly any wind,currently 16c, thousands of biting insects and the ground getting more muddy by the day.A lot of outside jobs are on hold including grasscutting, last of the haymaking and painting. As far as this farm is concerned and probably lots of others it would be great to see it dry from now until the end of September as the main rapid growing season is almost over and the crops just have to ripen for harvesting.Rant over from this grumpy old farmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I know it's been very wet recently but wouldn't two months of continuous dry weather be bad for crops? It's remarkable how little it can take for the grass to go decidedly "brown".

On the other hand, there's little denying that something a lot drier would certainly be helpful!

Posted

I know it's been very wet recently but wouldn't two months of continuous dry weather be bad for crops? It's remarkable how little it can take for the grass to go decidedly "brown".

On the other hand, there's little denying that something a lot drier would certainly be helpful!

Most crops have now reached their mature size ( May and June are the months when we need an inch of rain a week just to make up for transpiration losses as crops grow very rapidly and take water from the soil and release it to the air through their leaves. Soil moisture deficits were quite high at the end of June because of this and the lack of rain in the preceeding 2 months along with evapoation from the soil surface) and the rain that we have had to date(2.5inches just a week ago on Thursday 16th July in an overnight deluge as measured by my father in law causing the A96 to be blocked overnight and trapping a police car by mud being washed off the fields) would allow them to finish growing and then ripen

As for grass then most livestock do better with sun on their backs, not standing with their backs to the rain and need remarkably little grass to eat if it is warm and dry as little feed is needed to maintain body temperature and can mostly all be used for growth. A good clover based sward will carry on growing in fairly dry weather as clover itself is deeper rooted than grass and any grass that does grow usually has higher dry matter and is therfore a more concentrated feed rather than the soft wet growth we now have.

Posted

All things we can & will tweak as the system beds in. Certainly agree about the links opening in new windows - will take a look at that.

Should be an easy fix that one. From the little I remember of HTML coding, to achieve that you simply need an extention to the URL which has "target=new" or something akin to that tacked on the end of it. :)

Posted

That we have 47 members and 111 guests online...

Even today there are some showers being reported by people in the west and south, you really would expect some trace days in the whole of the UK in July, it seems to rain somewhere almost everyday if not everyday, also i haven't seen any decent thunderstorms, the rain is mostly frontal or mostly light to moderate convective showers, to get proper convective rainfall you need more heat and instability in the atmosphere and even then as in early July that doesnt guarantee proper thunderstorms.

It also seems to be consistently windy almost every day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

You`ll be saying im sick of winter already lets roll on summer in january :cray:

Joking aside i think many people on weather forums agree with you as they are very quiet currently, i think the excitement of summer is winding down for many now and weather fans are waiting for autumn to come and the forums will become alive again with talk of winter prospects and all the model discussion that goes with it.

But theres been very little to get excited about with the exception of late June/early July so i still am very much looking for a decent August and maybe September. If i get my wish then i will enjoy winter more but if the summer peters out into a damp squib then i will spend most of winter reminiscing about past summers wondering if 2010 will at last be the year to bring us a hot one.

On saturday(a very rare dry day this July) i went for a walk in the countryside and it was unusually damp and muddy in parts, thats very rare in late July around here and that was before last nights moderate persistent rainfall so i`m sure after that and todays heavy showers it's even muddier.

A very poor July for here IMO and August doesn't look any better.

Edited by Eugene