Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whining Thread

Posted

Another dreadfully poor weekend here in NI. Very heavy showers yesterday, and another mainly cloudy day today, and now raining again. Lucky if I have had 2 hours of sunshine this weekend. I know living where I do is asking for wet weather but since the start of June it has been completely and utterly depressing.

What's more next weekend is looking *iss poor as well.

I tell what though, at least I know not to spend any money on bedding plants next year. Never get the chance to sit in the garden and look at it, so why bother? £150 saved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Well, today was pretty good down here, 25C and it was mostly sunny with just a few clouds appearing in the afternoon, but soon disappearing. That is an ideal summers day for me, although a bit warmer would be nice. This week looks decent, and then after that I go to Italy to bask in sunshine for 2 weeks, before coming back in early September hoping for some nice sunny weather again. September might not be as good as June and July in terms of sunlight hours, but average temperatures are similar to June down here at least, average maxes both being about 20C, so there is still plenty of time in my eyes to enjoy some pleasant sunny weather, I think that September is a very underated month, it can bring the first frosts up in the far north, and 30C+ is still possible untill late September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Dear god no ukmaxtemp.png

Dear god yes!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Don't worry RRR, that almost certainly will not happen! Only 3 weeks of summer left by the way, it is almost over yahoo.gif. Can't wait til the nights start drawing in and I leave the house in the morning with a chill in the air.

Isn't it strange hardly anybody has mentioned this mornings euro's on TWO, i mean they aren't great for any hot weather at all it seems GFS OPs are producing the warmest runs but even they are downgrading and the warmest on its own ensembles, 2 above average days here since early July shows how poor this summer has been here :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think overall August hasnt been too bad so far. Nothing exceptional but neither bad at all. The last few days have been very warm especially in the sun. If the rest of this month continues like this i think it makes my verdict on summer 2009 as OK. :wallbash:

There is little to complain about August so far imo especially for us in the southern half of the UK. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think overall August hasnt been too bad so far. Nothing exceptional but neither bad at all. The last few days have been very warm especially in the sun. If the rest of this month continues like this i think it makes my verdict on summer 2009 as OK. :wallbash:

There is little to complain about August so far imo especially for us in the southern half of the UK. :)

Ah, but only in your opinion...

This August so far has been more conducive to outdoor activities than that phenomenally wet July was- there's little denying that- but it's also been extremely mundane. All three weather variables have been close to average, no notable warm/hot sunny spells, and not a shower or thunderstorm in sight. All of the rain here in Norwich since the turn of the month, without exception, has been light and persistent, and often of a drizzly nature.

True, those of us who love our convective storms got more than our fair share in July (for most of us, quite literally, as the month was something of a washout!) so this August is merely balancing the books, but it nonetheless gives us something to complain about for August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ah, but only in your opinion...

This August so far has been more conducive to outdoor activities than that phenomenally wet July was- there's little denying that- but it's also been extremely mundane. All three weather variables have been close to average, no notable warm/hot sunny spells, and not a shower or thunderstorm in sight. All of the rain here in Norwich since the turn of the month, without exception, has been light and persistent, and often of a drizzly nature.

True, those of us who love our convective storms got more than our fair share in July (for most of us, quite literally, as the month was something of a washout!) so this August is merely balancing the books, but it nonetheless gives us something to complain about for August.

August so far has by far been nothing exciting but after July i dont think we should complain as many suffered much by alot of rain.

Posted

I must say I do tend to agree with Blizzards, not due to there being little convective storms or any thing like that, but basically because it has been better here recently with far less completely wet and pretty cool for July days. (apart from august the 4th)

The last 7 days have all had a max temp over 20C, with the lowest max in the last 6 days being 21.8C on both the 8th and 10th August, so generally pleasantly warm with some good sunny days i.e. Sunday, Tuesday and Today.

However in the 25 days from the 7th to the 31st of July there were only 5 days that got above 20C here and just 2 days over 21C (!)

I did quite enjoy the convective weather on some of the days in July and wouldn't mind seeing some more, however most of the action seemed to miss me I think and I only heard one single rumble in the whole month. There were also quite a few 'wet all day' sort of days from frontal rain, and rain virtually every day with mostly below average temps did get a bit boring by the month end, especially after the last 2 summers.

I'd love a good thunderstorm though of course! but most of the exciting action seemed to miss here in July. It can obviously vary a lot from region to region and this is just a reflection of how I feel about the weather here in this one location.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

August so far has by far been nothing exciting but after July i dont think we should complain as many suffered much by alot of rain.

I just had a teeny weeny inkling at the back end of July that August would turn out much like it has, and that it would be accepted as fact that it was a significant improvement on July and deemed inappropriate to express a different opinion because of how others suffered due to the rain.

It would be quite easy to construct a similar line of argument saying that nobody should have complained at the dull dry mild second half of February 2009 as many suffered due to the repeated widespread snow events in the first half. The only difference there is that there are more snow lovers out there than convective storm lovers, and especially on weather forums like these.

That's not saying that there's anything wrong with the masses finding August's weather a breath of fresh air after that very wet July, of course. However it would be nice if it could be seen as a matter of opinion- even if a majority-held opinion- rather than as being the "right" way to think.

It seems like a long long time ago since when we had a nice 1035 MB high centred over us for a decent amount of time, that is what most people outside of weather forums want in summer so they can rely on outdoor activities without worrying about being hit by a sudden burst of rainfall, i've lost count of how many times people were caught out by heavy rainfall after some sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well gladly the volume of rain has taken a sharp decline this week (and into next week by looks of it). Now if we can up the sunshine and then maybe the temperatures too then this summer might just be remembered as 'not too bad'. All hangs on the next few weeks.

Don't worry RRR, that almost certainly will not happen! Only 3 weeks of summer left by the way, it is almost over yahoo.gif. Can't wait til the nights start drawing in and I leave the house in the morning with a chill in the air.

The nights started to draw in at the end of June!

Posted

It seems like a long long time ago since when we had a nice 1035 MB high centred over us for a decent amount of time, that is what most people outside of weather forums want in summer so they can rely on outdoor activities without worrying about being hit by a sudden burst of rainfall, i've lost count of how many times people were caught out by heavy rainfall after some sunshine.

1035mb highs are pretty rare at this time of year, but then again they don't need to be anywhere near 1035Mb:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119950817.gif

That 1020mb high for example did the trick.

I don't like the references to what "most people want" (see my previous post on that!) as it's something of a swipe against those who think differently- however I certainly wouldn't be against a good week-long spell of high pressure on top of the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Over here in the minority camp this summer has done what most seem to do these days; provided a big let down in August.

July was excellent, if a little on the warm side, but as usual August has reverted to the same old tedious synoptics of the accursed Azores high keeping all the wind and rain just that little bit too far north.

Where are the Augusts of old such as 1985 or 1986? consigned to history like the Januaries and Februaries of 1979 it would seem.

A really cool and wet summer seems to be as far out of reach as a really cold and snowy winter and I feel cheated at both ends of the year.

Posted

Over here in the minority camp this summer has done what most seem to do these days; provided a big let down in August.

July was excellent, if a little on the warm side, but as usual August has reverted to the same old tedious synoptics of the accursed Azores high keeping all the wind and rain just that little bit too far north.

Where are the Augusts of old such as 1985 or 1986? consigned to history like the Januaries and Februaries of 1979 it would seem.

A really cool and wet summer seems to be as far out of reach as a really cold and snowy winter and I feel cheated at both ends of the year.

I am visiting Derbyshire for 5 days from the 27th of this month TM and am hoping you get 5 days of your hateful weather!-I have never toured round your beautiful county and some good weather would help-at this stage I rate it 50/50.

Posted

July was complete crap - it rained for 27 days out of 31... for the first 15 days of August it has rained 11 days out of 15, so on par with July this is pretty good... but lets face it the weather this summer has been total and utter rubbish!!... you lot in England live a charmed life with warm temperatures over 20C days on end.. we have had 4 days at 20C in the last 6 weeks.. thats the difference between the North and South of this country!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I am visiting Derbyshire for 5 days from the 27th of this month TM and am hoping you get 5 days of your hateful weather!-I have never toured round your beautiful county and some good weather would help-at this stage I rate it 50/50.

L.O.L, Rollo. Without doubt it's a beautiful county and in true altruistic fashion I hope that where ever you might be the sun is shining and the visiblity is good.

Try the Vanilla Kitchen cafe in Tideswell; the cake is excellent!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The nights started to draw in at the end of June!

I mean really start drawing in, it's still relatively light at 9pm, I am on about dark at 6-7pm, means winter is well on the way!

Posted

Lovely looking chart there RRR - something we have seen very little of in the last 3 years. I for one will enjoy this last blast of nice warmth before the long drag of cold & dark kicks in.