Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whining Thread

Posted

My one annoyance this summer is the seemingly booming population of wasps. I am having to spray up to 5-10 a day, it really is getting ridiculous. Can't wait for the first good frost to kill them all.

Yeah there's lots of those annoying wasps around here :clap: It's a miracle i haven't been stung yet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I would to complain about the boring weather today-no rain ever fell-nothing. Never expected here to definately see a storm but not a whiff of one again. Boring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Let's start our own "We hate summer" group :clap:

My one annoyance this summer is the seemingly booming population of wasps. I am having to spray up to 5-10 a day, it really is getting ridiculous. Can't wait for the first good frost to kill them all.

Just think, in a couple of months time, cool days, early evenings, no annoying bugs...lovely.

But still one more week of summer to get through...

Just think in a couple of months time - rush hour traffic in the pitch black and that lovely feeling that you're risking your life every afternoon! Not to mention those extra fun days when it rains late afternoon making even more people jump in their cars as well as reducing visibility even more (sometimes rain + darkness makes it near impossible to see anything at all). Oh and I really, really love badly adjusted LED car headlamps that dazzle you completely killing what night vision you had reducing the ability to see anything at all.

Still at least I can have fun changing bike light batteries every few weeks when they suddenly go dead half way home in said road conditions.

I can't wait I tell you!

Just think, in a couple of months time, cool days, early evenings, no annoying bugs...lovely.

Just think in a couple of months time - rush hour traffic in the pitch black and that lovely feeling that you're risking your life every afternoon! Not to mention those extra fun days when it rains late afternoon making even more people jump in their cars as well as reducing visibility even more (sometimes rain + darkness makes it near impossible to see anything at all). Oh and I really, really love badly adjusted LED car headlamps that dazzle you completely killing what night vision you had reducing the ability to see anything at all.

Still at least I can have fun changing bike light batteries every few weeks when they suddenly go dead half way home in said road conditions.

I can't wait I tell you!

It's like you are the same person...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
:clap: indeed!

OK, you start your hate the summer group and perhaps some of us others can have a "Hate the Normal British Winter Group". As far as I am concerned there is nothing nice about wet slushy snow, cold dank drizzly days and it getting dark very shortly after Christmas Lunch.

Talking of wasps though, down in the garden of my being renovated house at Capestang in Languedoc, we get some black bees from time to time - does anybody know anything about them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

OK, you start your hate the summer group and perhaps some of us others can have a "Hate the Normal British Winter Group". As far as I am concerned there is nothing nice about wet slushy snow, cold dank drizzly days and it getting dark very shortly after Christmas Lunch.

I would take that over Summer warmth any day of the week! I don't know why but I like the shorter days. In summer when it's hot, it is near impossible to escape the heat. In winter when it is cold, just shove a few extra jumpers on and you should be nice and toasty. Winter isn't perfect I admit, but I find it a hell of a lot better than summer. The best part of summer is the fab long holiday, but obviously only students get the benefit of that! I just don't see the fun of sweating your wotsits off, being attacked by numerous species of insects and getting sunburnt after being outside for half an hour. Wouldn't be so bad if we had air conditioning but unfortunately we don't.

These past few summers have been welcomed with open arms by me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We've been having wasp problems round here too and much worse than i can remember in previous years. I hear that the cause of the rise in the amount of wasps this year is the run of mild winters so less of them are getting killed off but i thought last winter was the coldest for a decade. If so then i will settle for a cold and dry winter with occasional snow as apposed to a rather mild one that i was innitially hoping for. Thats the only thing i dislike about the second half of summer is the flies. They are really out in force and i've got some bite marks on my leg to proove it after only being out in the garden for 15-20mins. Its a pity the best weather this summer has coincided with the period of greater numbers of flies/wasps so i'm hoping for a lovely May-July next year and August can probably be cool and wet and i wont be too disappointed.

However i was thinking on Wednesday that there really should have been more days like this. The temperature peaked at 25c but it really could have got up to 30c and it would still have been pleasant as there was the most refreshing breeze. It really was the most perfect of Summer days but also when you could play football or do strenuous excersise without feeling too hot.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

I would take that over Summer warmth any day of the week! I don't know why but I like the shorter days. In summer when it's hot, it is near impossible to escape the heat. In winter when it is cold, just shove a few extra jumpers on and you should be nice and toasty. Winter isn't perfect I admit, but I find it a hell of a lot better than summer. The best part of summer is the fab long holiday, but obviously only students get the benefit of that! I just don't see the fun of sweating your wotsits off, being attacked by numerous species of insects and getting sunburnt after being outside for half an hour. Wouldn't be so bad if we had air conditioning but unfortunately we don't.

These past few summers have been welcomed with open arms by me.

Thing is- I don't want nor need to escape the heat - I love being able to sit outside as if it were inside. I love the equilibrium between inside & out - lots of fresh air into the house, wandering in & out the (always open) back door without any preparation, using the garden table to eat your dinner off... It's like you gain another room!

Sure, in very hot weather (rare here anyway) it's hard to do 'normal' things - cycling in very hot weather is bearable until you stop and that small windchill stops! But get home, throw your clothes off, lie on the floor and ahhh in 5 mins you're all good again.

In winter, with the garden now this alien place you only go into to take the bin round, you can certainly 'put on a few extra jumpers' or put up the heating to be warmer but this usually results in getting an uncomfortable artificial feeling sweat on... the absolute worst feeling heat is a room that has been heated too much - you're almost choking! I always hate that when going shopping on a cold day - having to go from 5c outside to god knows how overheated in the next shop whilst still in your big coat!

I could go on but I know I'll never convince any winter lover they're wrong and neither should I - no one is wrong or right - it's all down to taste! I just think you winter prefers are nuts that's all :whistling:

I think it makes a lot of difference if the air stream is moist or dry. Drier conditions at both extremes, hot and cold, are much easier to live with when outdoors.

I do remember once that I had a flat tyre one night when there was some nice dry snow on the ground with no wind and the temperature was well below -5C. I was dressed in just a blazer and flannels but I felt quite hot changing that wheel and got a bit of a sweat on.

The other thing which never ceases to amaze me is that when people are in the mountains skiing on a bright sunny day they sometimes appear to be quite comfortable wearing just a "T" shirt.

In other words it appears that the actual temperature is only part of the story and what really matters is the heat that there is around and temperature and heat are not necessarily the same thing. I suspect a very complex subject but if you consider the reflected heat off the surface of the snow I can start to see a glimmer of uderstanding. Perhaps somebody more learned can explain more.

It is ok for those who say just put on a few more layers when it is cold - that is ok for when you go out but inside the house it is postively claustrophobic with central heating.

My problem comes is that 'er indoors insists on having windows open no matter how cold it gets and I start going through the first stage of hypothermia.

I think that probably a much more natural heat inside would be the answer, like a wood burning stove.

Posted

Now I remember why I don't like afternoon rain, even if it does stop by 5pm - the 'fair weather crew' all jump in their damn cars! Traffic + wet ground = much less enjoyable ride home!

Can you believe some want a cold and wet September after the summer we have had, beggars belief really it does, some strange people around wanting constant rain/gales in summer and September the same people in winter who would be moaning about that kind of weather.

Now I remember why I don't like afternoon rain, even if it does stop by 5pm - the 'fair weather crew' all jump in their damn cars! Traffic + wet ground = much less enjoyable ride home!

I hate riding in the wet - don't always see the diesel on the road - haven't fallen off in past 30 years but I did then - now ultra cautious - takes the fun out it though.

Can you believe some want a cold and wet September after the summer we have had, beggars belief really it does, some strange people around wanting constant rain/gales in summer and September the same people in winter who would be moaning about that kind of weather.

I'm thinking some would be happier in the Faeroes or Iceland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

For me, if its too early in the season to get snow or a decent frost then i will continue to look for warmth which means right until the end of October i will be hoping for quiet anticyclonic conditions with pleasant daytime warmth. With the shorter days and the possibility of 16+ degrees all but gone i wont mind some gales and heavy rain. However i would really despise a wet and cold winter. A drier than average one would be great with some good snowfall thrown in and the odd milder day here and there.

Posted

You've just reminded me of the dismal walks home along Derby Road in winter...yuk. I do know what you're up against, the main roads just clog tremendously!

It's been a lovely August down here! I guess the rain today is welcome in a sense...just so long as it doesn't hang about!

Well a horrible gloomy day to finish a pretty horrible summer, it must of been a very westerly summer and very lacking in any decent anticyclonic spells too.

If winter has cyclonic strong westerles dominating with no decent anticyclonic spells then it will be poor and even if one small corner of the UK experiences cold and snow it won't matter to the vast majority.