Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Butterfly/moth Watch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

after the earlier influx of painted ladies and other southern migrants, thought it might be an idea just to report what lepidoctra you see.... we are just coming up to the peak season, budlias (never could spell that one!) are out, ragworth, thistles, garden flowers..

what have you got?

i had my first humingbird hawkmoth last wednesday, today i have 3 small tortoishells and 1 painted lady.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

As I have been working in the garden over the last week or so, I have seen quite a mix of butterflies, a couple of Small Blues, (much more common round here these day’s) a Coma, several Small Tortoiseshells, loads of Small Meadow Browns, one Red Admiral today, the first I have seen this year, and a newly emerged Large white, not as common round here these day's, still plenty of Small Whites though.

Not seen a Painted Lady yet, nor any Peacocks.

I have three Buddleia bushes two white and one blue, they are just coming in to flower, so I am sure the latter two mentioned, will appear in abundance once the flowers really get going, weather permitting of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I haven't seen very much tbh, Apart from a few small tortoisehells and some white things (and a few in Latvia that I've never seen before), it's been a very quiet year so far.

Since having a Camberwell Beauty and a Purple Emporer on my buddlieas in 1976 (I can't spell it either, Mushy! :lol: ) it's all been downhill... :unknw::unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Not very many species here, a couple of Painted Ladies and a lot of Speckled Woods. As for moths, I did find a pristine Brimstone Moth in the bathroom last week.

I haven't seen very much tbh, Apart from a few small tortoisehells and some white things (and a few in Latvia that I've never seen before), it's been a very quiet year so far.

Since having a Camberwell Beauty and a Purple Emporer on my buddlieas in 1976 (I can't spell it either, Mushy! :o ) it's all been downhill... :o :lol:

Very unusual to get a Purple Emperor feeding on Buddleja as they never feed on flowers normally, can you remember if it was just resting?

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Not very many species here, a couple of Painted Ladies and a lot of Speckled Woods

Very unusual to get a Purple Emperor feeding on Buddleja as they never feed on flowers normally, can you remember if it was just resting?

Well, it might have been resting, James? But, it's the only one I've ever seen!

Posted

had the first of the summer seasons peacock today, along with a couple of fresh new small tortoishells. white things too...

Posted

got 2 painted ladies, 2 peacocks, several small tortishells and a red admiral.... looks like my buddlia is working on the venessids :)

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted

What are the plain white ones? We seem to have a few around here.

Was also over at Staunton resevoir yesterday, and noticed quite a lot of cacoons on the long grass.

Edit - Just as I speak, a tortoishell/peacock flew into my office.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

What are the plain white ones? We seem to have a few around here.

Cabbage Whites I expect :) .

There are now plenty of Painted Ladies around here, presumably having hatched recently.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

plenty of peacocks now on my buddlia, about 20, small tortoishells too are doing well (c8) . got several painted ladies, a comma or two, loads of white things, a red admiral and a couple of speckled woods.

hope the sun shines, could get more!

Posted

This is the best year for butterflies here for 2 years! My purple Buddlia is in blossom and it is teaming with butterflies.Most common is the Painted lady, they are everywhere.Also spotted are the usual cabbage whites, also tortoiseshell (sp) and Peacocks.I haven't spotted any Red Admirals yet.

Posted

add gatekeeper and brimstone to the list, both seen today

Posted

This is the best year for butterflies here for 2 years! My purple Buddlia is in blossom and it is teaming with butterflies.Most common is the Painted lady, they are everywhere.Also spotted are the usual cabbage whites, also tortoiseshell (sp) and Peacocks.I haven't spotted any Red Admirals yet.

Ah add Red Admiral to the list today! Still hoping to see the Hummingbird Hawk Moth this year.

Posted

after recent heavy rains, i think that a hummingbird hawkmoth now will be very hard to get :)

plenty of butterflies again in the sun, ive loads of buddlias and they have good numbers of venessids.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Very few Small Tortoiseshells here this year, apart from the Whites it's usually the most common butterfly.

I've seen a few Peacocks, one or two Red Admirals, a few Painted Ladies a few weeks ago but not lately.

Lots of Ringlets, Gatekeepers, Common Blues, Speckled Woods and Small Coppers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Not seen the numbers that many of you have seen but lots of Small and Large Whites about, one Peacock and a Comma and one Painted Lady gave us a fleeting visit, bringing the total seen so far this year to four (not many but still four times the amount I have seen in the last 2 years!)

post-6315-12497284144525_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Know nothing about butterflies, but there have been absolutely loads of white ones.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

A big butterfly surge here now we have warmer sunnier weather. A real treat to see them. Unusually large numbers of whites and meadow browns. Had a lot of long uncut jungly grass left because of the wet weather, so that may help to explain the numerous meadow browns.

Meadiow browns are tough little critters. I saw one guarding some favourite plants on the garden path and vicously attacking and seeing off a small tortoiseshell despite its many attempts to settle.

At last the small tortoiseshells are back in decent numbers. Had seen only one in Spring (and none last Spring) when normally we would have had lots.

Plenty of painted ladies and new hatched peacocks now. The latter seem to have taken a liking for coming indoors through open windows in the evenng. So one of the first jobs of they day, once the sun is shining warmly, is to open the windows again to let out the batch of frantic butterflies. Saw another butterfly, a tortoiseshell I think, settling inside a piece of old machinery late afternoon, presumably to roost for the night.

Beautiful red admirals are just hatching and joining the throng. Not yet seen a comma or wall brown, but haven't seriously looked.

This is a farm so we have plenty of nettles in the hedgerows (too many!) but they have given the butterflies a chance, Favourite nectar plants here at present include buddleia and knapweed. And many butterflies just like to sit and sunbathe a while on warm stones. Aaah, don't we all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

never seen so many butterflys on the buddleia, thought they were gone forever. Just sent 5 mins by the buddleia and Ella and i spotted small coppers,peacocks,painted ladys,small tortoiseshells and red admirals , great sight.

Edited by fozfoster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Very few Small Tortoiseshells here this year, apart from the Whites it's usually the most common butterfly.

I've seen a few Peacocks, one or two Red Admirals, a few Painted Ladies a few weeks ago but not lately.

Hi TM,

Regarding small tortoiseshells, I remember something on the news last year, that they had suffered a catastrophic decline over most of the country, something like 90% were wiped out, some kind of disease affecting the caterpillar if memory serves, I only saw 1 last year and like your area, they are normally the most common, apart from the small white.

The good news, I have seen quite a few more this year, but they are no where near as prolific as the Peacock and Painted Lady.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Sitting out in my garden today I saw

Large White

Holly Blue

Painted Lady

Gate Keeper

Speckled Wood

I have also seen over the course of the Spring Summer

Red Admiral

Orange Tip

Small Copper

Tortoiseshell

Peacock

I have numerous Moths, but could'nt tell you what they are

Orange Tip

Posted

got a few gatekeepers but alas its been years since ive had a small copper or common blue... holly blues however are now frequent (but not atm...) having extended their range over the last 25 years. (actually commas and speckled woods are now common but 25 years ago were unheard of)

Posted

Lots of butterflies and Moths here also over the last week or so.

Here is a shot of a Magpie Moth taken last week: post-5508-12498989514642_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Saw a lovely Moth last night

It flew in through the window, spent the next 10mins trying to get it back outside.

It was a lovely yellow colour, looked it up in my book, andI think it was a Brimstone.