Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Butterfly/moth Watch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

its all gone very quiet now...a few whites and the odd tortoishell... no peacocks or painted ladies.. maybe if the sun came out for longer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

its all gone very quiet now...a few whites and the odd tortoishell... no peacocks or painted ladies.. maybe if the sun came out for longer...

Gone quiet here too.... afew whitescc_confused.gif

Posted

So far this year I have seen. Orange tip, Peacock, Short tailed Blue, Meadow Brown, Large White, Small White, Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell. I remember the article about the Small Tortoiseshells last year but we seemed to have had plenty. They seem to like the marigolds.

Posted

Peacocks, Painted Ladys, Whites and a Red Admiral all in brilliant fresh colours today. Seems to be a shortage of Tortoiseshells though

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Earlier in the summer I had a load of cabbage whites, red admirals, orange tips, and painted ladys. Very much quieter now although I did see a yellow and black one yesterday that may have been a speckled wood.

I did see an absolutely monster dragonfly yesterday - no significant colouring but it's body must have been 10cm long!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Lovely day today, and the butterflies were out in full force.

Saw Red admirals, small tortoiseshells & comma's, as well as speckled woods and small whites.

The best thing I could have done to bring butterflies into the garden was buying verbena plants, they love them.

Posted

The Bats are out tonight good to watchrolleyes.gif

I love watching bats, put up some bat boxes a couple on Months back, not yet got any inhabitants though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

The last few days have been good for butterflies up here. Several Red Admirals, Peacocks, Speckled Woods, Whites, a Small Tortoiseshell on the buddleia in the garden, actually the first I've seen this year at this location, plus a couple of Painted Ladies including this interestingly patterned individual which is apparently called aberration melanosa

post-6315-12526901666797_thumb.jpg

Edited by James M

Posted

I love watching bats, put up some bat boxes a couple on Months back, not yet got any inhabitants though.

Good call, will look in to a couple of bat boxes myself. any tips!

Also we saw two foxs playing in the field at the back of our house early this morning.

Edited by fozfoster

Posted

I saw my first daddy-long-legs of the season this morning.

Cue hysteria from the daughters. :good:

:rofl:

Posted

Good call, will look in to a couple of bat boxes myself. any tips!

Also we saw two foxs playing in the field at the back of our house early this morning.

Hi Foz,

I got 3 bat boxes, I really need at least another 2.

If you have a big tree in your garden (which I don't) then it is recommended that you put 4 boxes on each side of the trunk. Basically one box facing North East South and West. They like to use a box facing a certain direction at particular times of the year.

If you have not got a big tree. Then place at a hight no lower than 5metres on the sides of your house. I am semi detached so only have 3 sides, currently 2 boxes on a South facing wall & 1 on a East facing wall. The other place I want to fit one to is on the front of my house which faces in a North Westerly direction.

The bigger the better I feel for bat boxes, so if they do take up residence, then they have the room to breed.

Bat boxes should only be made out of natural wood and not varnished.

Posted

Hi Foz,

I got 3 bat boxes, I really need at least another 2.

If you have a big tree in your garden (which I don't) then it is recommended that you put 4 boxes on each side of the trunk. Basically one box facing North East South and West. They like to use a box facing a certain direction at particular times of the year.

If you have not got a big tree. Then place at a hight no lower than 5metres on the sides of your house. I am semi detached so only have 3 sides, currently 2 boxes on a South facing wall & 1 on a East facing wall. The other place I want to fit one to is on the front of my house which faces in a North Westerly direction.

The bigger the better I feel for bat boxes, so if they do take up residence, then they have the room to breed.

Bat boxes should only be made out of natural wood and not varnished.

hi steveb, we have a detached and one wall is north/northwest field side with big tree in it. So i am going to set to work on 2 boxes on that wall.

will keep you posted.

cheers FF

Just got 2 boxes off ebaygood.gif

Edited by fozfoster

Posted

hi steveb, we have a detached and one wall is north/northwest field side with big tree in it. So i am going to set to work on 2 boxes on that wall.

will keep you posted.

cheers FF

Just got 2 boxes off ebaygood.gif

Good luck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I saw my first daddy-long-legs of the season this morning.

Cue hysteria from the daughters. :lol:

:(

They've been out for the last few weeks here now - cue hysteria from me! I HATE daddy long legs...ever since I was a toddler, one came flying at my face and it petrified the life out of me...to this day, if there's one near me, especially in doors, I have something close to a panic attack (the bigger, the worse it is)...perhaps the wrong thread, however moths give me the same reaction - dinky ones I can live with, however the bigger they are...hate them!!

Out of curiosity, is there a name for the fear of moths and daddy long legs (crane flies)?

Posted

A couple of whites and a painted lady today.

Saw on the news this morning that it's Moth watch this weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Saw a brown thing yesterday. It could have been a fritillary (sp?), but it flew away too quickly for me to be sure...

Posted

Another good day for butterflies

Saw Red admirals, small tortoiseshells & comma's, as well as speckled woods and small white.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Saw a single Comma today, presumably looking for somewhere to hibernate, won't be surprised if that's the last butterfly I'll see this year as it is getting quite chilly now.