Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Wet July So Far!

I have a couple of issues with that report for starters how misleading to say June was the hottest and driest month since July 2006 when it was only slightly better than average and if it wasn't for the last 5 days or so it might of been below average, also July is only a fraction above atm and could be average or just below by the end, the only reason the CET was above average was because of the first 5 days or so since then its been below average with well above rainfall and below average sunshine.

Trevor Harley says this for June which sums it up well.

June A mixed month. Overall quite easterly, particularly in the first ten days and final week. Overall slightly warmer, sunnier, and drier than average,. There were some low temperatures at the end of the first week, with a maximum of just 6.4C at Copley (Durham) on the 5th, and a minimum of -2.7C at Kinbrace on the 7th. It was very wet in the SW around this time: 100 mm near Exeter on th 6th. Warm spell at end, with high temperatures widespread, including NW Scotland, Stornoway on Lewis seeing 22.3C on the 24th. There was a heatwave at the end, with Wisley (Surrey) recording 31.8C on the 30th. The east of Scotland suffered dreadfully from haar in most of this final warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Only 70.6mm this month here :unknw:

Yep must be a little rain shield around here, the monthly total stands at just 78mm for Gloucester.

Posted
Are there other reasons why I would be jealous of you?
I have a body that makes women gasp, for one.

The weather here tonight isn't even funny...it's lashing it down. Right now, the daily total is 21.6mm, and the monthly total is 207.4mm. That makes this July, so far, the 10th wettest month I have recorded since I started being a nerd in 1997. In a few minutes' time, it will be the 9th wettest month I have ever recorded.

The top ten is:

1st, December 1999, 268.6mm

2nd, January 1999, 258.0mm

3rd, January 2005, 251.6mm

4th, November 2000, 251.5mm

5th December 2006, 247.4mm

6th, February 2002, 233.0mm

7th, October 2000, 232.8mm

8th, October 2008, 228.0mm

9th, August 2004, 209.1mm

10th, July 2009, 207.4mm and counting.

Interestingly, my parents, who live just eight miles from here and at an elevation of 850ft, have received just 52.4mm of rain. That's an accurate reading too as it's backed up by a manual rain gauge in addition to my dad's Vantage Pro 2. They're right up against the Pennines, so I guess it's giving them some protection?

Posted

Well, I'd be able to give some statistics for this month too if I hadn't tripped over my rain gauge and broke it. It's certainly been more than your parents have had this month and will be about the same as you.

Is that the blind and deaf woman?

Edited by LauraWibs

Posted

The last few days need to average around 20MM and this month will have been even wetter then the July of 2007. Given Wednesday's forntal system there is certainly a decent chance that we will reach that target.

Amazing that this is now 3 very wet July's in a row!

Posted

The weather here tonight isn't even funny...it's lashing it down. Right now, the daily total is 21.6mm, and the monthly total is 207.4mm. That makes this July, so far, the 10th wettest month I have recorded since I started being a nerd in 1997. In a few minutes' time, it will be the 9th wettest month I have ever recorded.

The top ten is:

1st, December 1999, 268.6mm

2nd, January 1999, 258.0mm

3rd, January 2005, 251.6mm

4th, November 2000, 251.5mm

5th December 2006, 247.4mm

6th, February 2002, 233.0mm

7th, October 2000, 232.8mm

8th, October 2008, 228.0mm

9th, August 2004, 209.1mm

10th, July 2009, 207.4mm and counting.

Interestingly, my parents, who live just eight miles from here and at an elevation of 850ft, have received just 52.4mm of rain. That's an accurate reading too as it's backed up by a manual rain gauge in addition to my dad's Vantage Pro 2. They're right up against the Pennines, so I guess it's giving them some protection?

I'm very surprised at the Hilton figure. The very close Warcop Range site has had more than that just looking at the rough weatheronline stats.

If any thing its been a wetter month this side of the Pennines.

I did have the rainfall records for Kirkby Stephen somewhere. I think the record monthly rainfall was 360mm in the late 80's.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

Well, I was slightly wrong...my dad's figure was accurate to the 24th; they're on holiday now and it's not updating. It's certainly much lower than here though. I guess it must be local conditions, or perhaps it's so windy there, the rain never lands?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

18.2 mm required to break the July record here, which admittedly is a fairly modest 140.7 mm, easily the smallest total for any month of the year.

Of equal note is that we've now had 15 consecutive rain days ( 0.2mm or more ), the longest spell in July since I began keeping records in 1963. July 1965 managed 14 but that was at a different site and I would have to check the old DWRs to see if the spell could have been slightly longer here.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Collected 8.6mm at 9 GMT. July total now 180.0 mm.

Currently 4th wettest July here in last 40yrs. (beaten by 1974, 1988, and of course 2007)

3 "rain days" to go. Looks likely we'll break the 200 barrier.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the rains arrived here expecting Sheffield to flood later on today because it doesn't take much these days.

Posted

We're now at 106.5mm. July 2007 was 127.6mm so we're getting pretty close now. another 19mm isnt out of the question when you look at the band of rain on the radar - its not really moving anywhere.

It has been a bizarre summer so far, June had just 25% of normal rainfall, yet July is now at 277%!

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

With over 15mm today, this brings the July total so far of 140.3mm, have now surpassed the record rainfall for July here since my records began in 2005 and local records going back to 1990. The previous wettest July was 2007, with 135.5mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the rains arrived here expecting Sheffield to flood later on today because it doesn't take much these days.

Well with the rain much lighter than forecast even Sheffield may have failed to flood today. Although the peak rate of 7 mm an hour may have managed it. Unless something bizare happens overnight the record for the wettest July is safe for another year.

Posted

10mm since yesterday,heaviest rain has gone further east for a change,with alot more dryer gaps this afternoon.

168mm now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

My total is currently running at 141.4mm's. Might get upto 150mm by Month's end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Once again not as much rain here as the forecast suggested, however 13.8 mm today has taken the total to 136.3mm which is 4.4 mm short of the July record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Rain is easing off again but the total so far is 26mm today...can we hit 30mm???

Posted

Got away pretty well today, last nights Met forecast was for up to 100mm on the hills in the west, we may have managed around 1mm first thing before the sun made an appearence this afternoon. They seem to be getting plenty of stick on the TV for daring to mention BBQ in their summer forecast, doubt they do that in a hurry again!

Posted

I'm puzzled to see that Shap got 32mm of rain today (according to the 10.30 BBC1 forecast) whilst here, just 5 miles away (as the crow flies) we had 5.2mm and it ws basically dry all day. That's a pretty staggering difference without a thunderstorm occuring.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

On about 210mm now, so the monthly record looks safe, but an awful lot for a Summer month.

Escaped today, bar some downpours this morning.