Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunset Mammatus And Evening Noctilucent

Posted

A few photos from yesterday evening, which was one of the most interesting weather-wise of the year for Edinburgh. It makes a mockery of my comment about a grim boring day I posted in "Todays weather"...

First of all, we had a superb thunderstorm during my football match and on the way home. The storm was just clearing northwards as I got home, and while the views were excellent I didn't have my camera. Frogesque has some nice shots of the mammatus taken just north of me in his thread. At sunset, once I had got myself dried out, I took these photos out of my living room window:

post-8945-12482634492911_thumb.jpg

post-8945-12482634519869_thumb.jpg

post-8945-12482634542099_thumb.jpg

post-8945-12482634562942_thumb.jpg

It was beautiful! It's not smoke, but the ethereal shapes are the sunset catching parts of the mammatus clouds.

Later in the evening there was a great display of noctilucent clouds above these same thunderstorm clouds. I've posted more pictures on the noctilucent clouds page:

post-8945-12482636363881_thumb.jpg

Edinburgh with noctilucent clouds and departing cumulonimbus anvils.

sss

Posted

Superb pics - and thanks for the kind comments :(

We definately had a very interesting time weatherwise yesterday with a fine sunny morning, thunderstorms and torrential rain then ending the day with a beautifull display of NLCs. All we needed was some snow :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Great photos.