Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lacrosse Ws2300 Temperature Issue

Posted

Im currently having a very strange issue with my station. Ive recently moved here back to Hedon and found a good position on a north-east facing wall that gets complete shade all day to site the temperature sensor.

The problem is that at present it seems to constantly read 2-4C higher than my old traditional mercury thermometer during daylight hours - even when its cloudy. Ive tried them side by side and confirmed this so Im pretty clueless as theres no source of heat and no sunlight anywhere near it. The only thing I can think of is that due to being running almost 5 years now that its simply showing its age. I did clean the unit thoroughly before putting it up and theres a chance moisture could have got in. Ive tried re-siting it but still it reads too high. My first guess would have been that its getting heat radiation from somewhere, but the lower reading on the other thermometre pretty much rules this out. Its also been rather windy of late so it has been getting lots of airflow too.

Im thinking of buying a replacement sensor (they're just £40 so its worth a try). Has anyone else had similar problems on their station? If so how did you sort it?

Edited by reef

Posted

The new sensor has arrived and it seems to be providing much better temperatures.

Maxes today and yesterday:

Bridlington: 22.9C and 20.7C

Humberside Airport: 23C and 21C

Here: 23.1C and 21.5C.

This is within half a degree of my old mercury thermometer so Im pretty happy. Upon inspecting the old sensor, the plastic had warped and weakened exposing the circuit board to the elements. Still, for a relatively cheap station Im impressed it lasted for almost 5 years.