Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Cet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

17.6 please. Unsettled first half, warm/hot and sunny second half (I hope).

Posted

Would love to have a bit more optimism but I'm going for a slightly below average August at 15.8 degrees. I think the generally unsettled conditions that have prevailed throughout most of July will continue in similiar vein the most of August, consequently a wet month is on the cards. Brief transitory ridges will produce some more settled warmer conditions from time to time more so the SE. It isn't looking good for the NW - could end up being one of those awful Augusts in the NW dominated by the atlantic making it feel more like an autumnal month than a summer one, we've had them in the past but not for a long time.. remember Aug 1988..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hopefully July has just been a limber up before the Atlantic really does its stuff in August.

15.9c

Posted

It isn't looking good for the NW - could end up being one of those awful Augusts in the NW dominated by the atlantic making it feel more like an autumnal month than a summer one, we've had them in the past but not for a long time.. remember Aug 1988..

I certainly wouldn`t want a repeat of last august the dullest on record with almost 3" of rain,a repeat of august 2007 would be perfect just 3/4" a very dry sunny and an autumn style month.

August 1988 did give 1 settled spell early on.

The wettest august I recorded was 1999 with almost 6inches a very thundery month.

Rrea00119990808.gif

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

May change this before months end, but my prediction is a bang on average 16.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Well these charts that I'm seeing look more like late Septemember, IE early Autumn, than late July.

I'm going for 16c, unsettled 1st half of August with the best of the weather in the south East at times, then warming up and more settled going into September, but can't see any signs of a major heat wave if I'm honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Im going to say about 16.1c.

I see the upcoming month being not much better than the last few weeks though perhaps a few more days where it is settled but i dont really expect any heat or any prolonged settled spell especially in the first half of the month. Best of the Weather as usual towards Central and South Eastern Britain :hi: while it reamins windier and wetter further North and West but by no means will i think it will bre great anywhere.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

16.6 for me thanks...Given current charts thats probably optimistic...but still.

Posted

Output looks horrible, July has set the tone, like the last 2 years

My money is on a stinker. 15.2 please bad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Output looks horrible, July has set the tone, like the last 2 years

My money is on a stinker. 15.2 please bad.gif

Thats terribly low Rich, I was thinking to myself this weekend, could we get a realy cold August I wonder, how low could the CET actually get in August in this modern age?

Interestingly, when we had our 100c heat wave back in 06, Northern Italy had one of the coldest and wettest Augusts in a long, long time, it was also pretty poor out there during one of our heat waves in the early 90's, I know this due to my interest in the Italian porcini (ceps) mushroom season, it doing particulary well when they have wet conditions in August, and we have heat waves.

This year they are having major heat, so probs a poor mushroom season in Aug/Sept...

Moral of this story, August heatwave in the UK......

Avoid N Italy, (South France too btw) and stay in the UK... Although If you like it realy hot go to Albareto nr Parma and enjoy the Porcini Trifolati, fried in olive oil, parsley and garlic ! :lol:

Edited by snowray

Posted

I wouldn't call 15.2c that low. 2007 managed 15.4c and July that year managed 15.2c!

August 1912 managed 12.9c which is around a degree below Septembers average value.

Indeed, its just that expectations are so much higher these days in terms of August temps, in spite of 2007, we always remember the hot ones for some reason or other, including my good self, so to go below the magical 16c can feel like quite daring, strange territory, taking us back to memories of the medeocre Summers of yesteryear, as opposed to the heatwaves that the BBC and Met Office had been advising us to expect by now. :lol:

Good old Pavlov......

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Im going to go for 16.3 because although it will probably be unsettled for the first half of the month i still think that maybe the second half could be quite mild and settled towards the end.

althought that could be the cider i drank an hour ago talking to me. tease.gif

Posted

OK, my best guess is that the first half of August will be generally rather unsettled much like now and then gradually starting to settle down mid month onwards with temperatures rising leading to a warm and settled final week. I think it will be marginally warmer and dryer than July overall. My CET punt is:

16.8C

:unknw:

Posted

August is a tricky month to predict.

SSTs are still on the rise and the sun is still strong early in the month, yet with nights getting longer later in the month, any conditions that are clear with low humidity can result in quite chilly overnight temperatures.

I actually think we might do better than July in terms of temperatures

My prediction is 16.9C, although I wouldn't be suprised if the mid month in-running figure is a fair bit higher than that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

A very disappointing month once again. cool side, possibly with very early ground frosts in the north)

CET - 15.5

I cant see it being that cold , a CET of -15.5c

Im going for +15c

Posted

Seems ages since we had a good August. August 2004 had a CET of 17.7c but was wet and felt like nothing special. 2003 came in at 18.3c, the last good one in my opinion although the last week was very cool and more unsettled. Just look at how consistence they have been since 2005;

2005 16.2c

2006 16.1c

2007 15.4c

2008 16.2c

August was looking like overtaking July as the warmest month. Unlikely now.