Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Cet

Posted

Difficult one this. All things are possible. On balance, I see warmer than average, but quite wet too so

16.6c

Dave

Posted

15.7C

RichardW2 13.5

Bobd29 14.8

Pete Tattem 14.9

stewfox 15

cookie 15.1

rich1 15.2

adamjones416 15.3

Eugene 15.4

Gavin P 15.5

snowmaiden 15.5

Atlanticflamethrower 15.7

damianslaw 15.8

Albion Snowman 15.8

Terminal Moraine 15.9

Snowyowl9 16

snowray 16

Jack Wales 16

WhiteXmas 16.1

BARRY 16.1

Blizzards 16.1

NaDamantaSam 16.1

Polar Gael 16.2

summer blizzard 16.2

Gavin P 16.2

The Pit 16.3

mullender83 16.3

fozi999 16.3

artic fox 16.3

DR Hosking 16.3

Mr Maunder 16.3

Mr_Data 16.4

sufc 16.4

Mark Bayley 16.4

Blast From the Past 16.4

RAIN RAIN RAIN 16.4

phil n.warks. 16.4

osmposm 16.5

JACKONE 16.5

acbrixton 16.5

Norrance 16.6

GRHinPorts 16.6

Potent Gust 16.6

Kentish Man 16.6

Daveshsug 16.6

SLEETY 16.7

sundog 16.7

SteveB 16.8

DAVID SNOW 16.8

Don 16.8

reef 16.8

Koppite 16.9

Stu_London 16.9

Timmead 16.9

StormMad26 16.9

chionomaniac 17

Tommyd1258 17.1

Thundery wintry showers 17.1

Milhouse 17.2

robthefool 17.2

Tony h 17.5

Optimus Prime 17.6

Anti-Mild 17.6

evil monkey 17.7

Mike W 18.7

Craig Evans 20

Posted

My heart says that we're due a warmer spell, but the form book, and the surface, seem to suggest little change. It's unusual for an average or cooler July to spawn a very warm August. Overall in recent years there's around a 40% chance of August coming in warmer than July, but for years when July landed 16.5C or cooler that drops to below 20%. Not liking the big cold pool in the NA, so...

A cautious punt from me of 16.3C

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

Bother - I'm a little late with my entry. I will go for 16.7C please if only because the night time minima will probably stay relatively high due to cloud cover!

Thanks

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Can't see it coming much above 15.8

Is that a late entry, Solar, or an early comment? :)

Is that a late entry, Solar, or an early comment? :)

:)

It could indeed be pretty low if there isn't a single hot spell, and i'm sure many people will be angry. Dry, sunny, occasional tunderstorm, temps in the low 20s would suit me fine!

Posted

15.1c to the 2nd...1c below current average,notice my temps are lower to the start of the last 2 augusts,that should change later this week.

Posted

16.6 to the 9th

Can't see any huge swings in the next 7 days and would be suprised if we are out of the range 16.4 to 16.9 by the halfway point.

An early assessment of my own punt of 16.9 is that it is looking on the high side as I would expect a bit of drop off in minimas towards the end of the month as the nights really start to draw in.

Posted

Hadley remains 16.6 to the 11th.

Based on very raw data to hand, I would expect the peak for the month to be around the 20th (possibly just over 17C?) with a bit of a drop off just after.

Probably above average to finish but not by an especially wide margin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Based on very raw data to hand, I would expect the peak for the month to be around the 20th (possibly just over 17C?) with a bit of a drop off just after.

Anyone know why the netweather average, which is what go by, always seems to be so much higher both than average and than other sites averages?:wub:

It currently stands at 17.54C (+1.34C above average) due to it being rather warm by night as well as day rather than any significant hot spell.

Other than the June heat wave and a few exceptional days that generally seems to have been the way this year.

Personally hoping for below average temps this winter due to lack of solar activity, but i understand this is just an itsy bitsy factor, and anything else would be hope-casting [my speciality]:drinks:

By netweather i'd say about 17.5C this month.

Posted

Anyone know why the netweather average, which is what go by, always seems to be so much higher both than average and than other sites averages?:wub:

It currently stands at 17.54C (+1.34C above average) due to it being rather warm by night as well as day rather than any significant hot spell.

Other than the June heat wave and a few exceptional days that generally seems to have been the way this year.

Personally hoping for below average temps this winter due to lack of solar activity, but i understand this is just an itsy bitsy factor, and anything else would be hope-casting [my speciality]:drinks:

By netweather i'd say about 17.5C this month.

I think the net weather tracker uses average hourly readings rather than the min/max system used by Hadley and Manley.

The solar activity (or lack of) is interesting and should it continue will give us vital clues as to how variable the sun's output is and how much that affects global temperatures.

Edited by Stu_London

Posted

Somewhat bizarrely, after publishing a figure of 16.6C to the 11th, the people at Hadley have now lifted it a notch to 16.7 to the 11th.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Posted

A fairly average start to August CET wise then - not sure what the rolling 30 year mean 71-00 figure for the first 2 weeks of August is but bet it can't be far off what the CET is at present.

Once again it is the relatively high minima which is preventing the CET dropping to below average levels, maxima have been fairly poor away from the SE, Scotland, far N England and N Ireland have seen fairly consistent slightly below average maxima all month, 15's, 16's and 17's being the norm in Scotland.. and 17's and 18's here in Cumbria with the odd day creeping towards 20-21 degree mark.

Posted

16.8C to the 13th on Hadley

They say that is 0.8C above average in running but I think they compare to 61-90 averages, so probably about half a degree above average using 71-00.

Still think that around the 20th will be the peak (as high as 17.3 maybe?) and am confident that my 16.9C prediction will continue my recent good run in the CET competition.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yeh surprising I expect a slow rise this coming week. After that probably a canceling fall.