Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August Cet

Posted

Against the regional average for August the warmest place was East Anglia with an average maximum temperature of 23.5c which is 1.7c above normal. Compare that to

2008 at 21.6c (-0.2c)

2007 21.1c (-0.7c)

2006 20.9c (-0.9c)

2005 21.7c (-0.1c)

2004 22.9c (+1.1c)

2003 24.4c (+2.6c)

And so easily the warmest since 2003.

The largest negative anomaly in August was in the south west again which came in at 19.1c which is 0.7c below normal.

2008 18.3c (-1.4c)

2007 19.4c (-0.4c)

2006 19.6c (-0.2c)

2005 20.2c (+0.4c)

2004 20.4c (+0.6c)

2003 22.3c (+2.5c)

East Anglia as a result had the warmest summer by mean maxima;

June 20.0c (+0.9c)

July 22.1c (+0.3c)

August 23.5c (+1.7c)

1.0c above normal. So arguably a "barbecue summer"

South west had the worse summer overall but with the warmest June maxima since 2006. It was the coolest July by day since 2007;

June 19.1c (+1.6c)

July 18.8c (-1.2c)

August 19.1c (-0.7c)

0.1c below normal.

Posted

1.7c above normal dont bode well for winter 09/10.

cheers:)

There isnt really any visible link between the average temperature in summer and winter though.

Summer 1995 was very warm yet Winter 1995/96 was cold. On the other side of the spectrum, Summer 2006 was very warm yet Winter 2006/07 was exceptionally mild.

Posted

1.7c above normal dont bode well for winter 09/10.

cheers:)

Hot summers use to bring cold winters.

Check out 1947 summer which was hotter and much drier to this summer for one outstanding year.

This august while quite warm,just is going to be a forgotten month as it being the warmest since 2004 which was very warm humid and very thundery indeed outstanding month. :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

As mentioned before 5 players got the temps spot on. Norrance, GRHinPorts, Potent Gust, Kentish Man and davehsug

The summer comp was won by davehsug, Potent Gust was 2nd but would have won without the 10pt deduction and The PIT was 3rd.

Overall RAIN RAIN RAIN takes the lead with Don in 2nd, mountain shadow 3rd and Potent Gust up to 4th.

why are a few people including myself not in the final summer list ?

why are a few people including myself not in the final summer list ?

For a player to be in the overall scores for a season, then they must enter all 3 months, as you did not enter June, you are not in the overall scores. However the scores are kept, and are shown in the Excel version of the scores.

I have also attached the PDF version with all scores for the Summer competition whether you have entered all months or not.

If there any queries with the scores please PM me, or make comments in the relevant monthly thread.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Hot summers use to bring cold winters.

Check out 1947 summer which was hotter and much drier to this summer for one outstanding year....

But the cold winter was 1946-7, not 1947-8: i.e. it was before summer 1947, so a hot summer did not 'bring' the cold winter.

As Reef says, there is no significant statistical correlation between summer and winter temps - except in the sense that the average of both will be warmer in an overall climatically warmer period such as now, and colder in a climatically colder period like the 'little ice age'.

Posted

But the cold winter was 1946-7, not 1947-8: i.e. it was before summer 1947, so a hot summer did not 'bring' the cold winter.

The snowiest winter of them all gave a hot dry summer instead,use to work both ways,vice versa.

A truly remarkable year and august CET was 18.6c the 4th hottest since 1900,1995 was the hottest august.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

The snowiest winter of them all gave a hot dry summer instead,use to work both ways,vice versa.

Um, slight flaw in logic there, methinks. If it worked both ways - i.e. hot summers led to cold winters, and cold winters led to hot summers - then all winters would have been cold and all summers hot in a perpetual sequence....!? :whistling:

Posted

Wow! Just seen this as I've been on holiday. Very chuffed to have won. I think luck played a big part & also not getting carried away with some of the wilder predictions. Wish I could have been wrong & we'd had a much drier more settled summer (Iknow that's what some of you lucky easterners have had), Although September for the most part, last week's holiday in Blackpool was just about the worst weatherwise I've ever experineced, certainly since 1976 at the same time!

Dave