Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Site Slow And Sticky

len

Posted

Does anyone else find the new site much slower and gummier than the old one?

Was this change for change's sake?

Len

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Does anyone else find the new site much slower and gummier than the old one?

Was this change for change's sake?

Len

I can't say that I have, Len...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Seems to be running fine here (on a mac using safari) :pardon:

Posted

It's definitely not running slower, so it may be worth you clearing out your cache and cookies as that is often the cause of slow downs on sites.

Posted

Hi

I have had no other probs with other sites and my PC is meticulously maintained. But I think I may have found the cause.

IT WOULD APPEAR THIS SITE NOW DEMANDS XP/Vista!!!!!!

I am posting this from my wife's PC, as indeed I had to post the starter post (She has an XP PC).

From my Win98SE machine I can only navigate the new site (stickily), but not post.

I think this is really poor. I even queried this on the new-site discussion thread and was told that only certain new bells and whistles would be exclusive to XP/Vista users.

It's a real shame; I have to virtually give up this site, or give Microsoft a small fortune to buy a newer buggy system?

No other website I have encountered requires XP just to navigate and post.

Why reserve this site for those who can afford new operating systems?

Len

Posted

There's no reason why it would require xp/vista - have you cleared the cache as I mentioned earlier?

Unfortunately, although you have an issue with regard to not wanting to upgrade, if you want to use the full features of a website which is using newer technology then you have the choice to either upgrade or not have those features. Windows 98 and IE6 are outdated and virtually unsupported, it's like expecting to be able to run a car from 1975 and use unleaded petrol - it doesn't work.

With that said, that has nothing to do with connectivity or speed, so I'd suggest you clear your cookies/cache and try again as the basics such as posting/reading posts are available to you and should be no issue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Like with anything new, it takes a bit of getting used too.

I have had no problems with the site since the upgrade.

It looks a lot better and easier to use.

Posted

Same thing i said before it's sluggy as onions on firefox, and then on IE8 it's fine then sometimes it buggers up handling the cookies.

Sometimes when on FireFox, when it loads a thread, it actually temp freezes my firefox window.

Its not my computer not internet, 10gb RAM, Quad core processor 64AMD. 2MB cache on each core.

Internet = 25MB.

I just cannot get use to the new skin, i went to make a private message today and i gave up. All it's doing is making things that was simple and effective slower and more time consuming, in every department really.

Bring back the old Netw Forum. I loved that blue! especially in the winter :lol:

Posted

Are you running many plugins, perhaps one is not working/clashing?

The profile bug will be sorted on the next update, thanks for the report.

Posted

I don't see what is so difficult about using the new PM system? It is very similar with a few added features? :lol:

Posted

Look, take this as an example…………….

I couldn’t view John Holmes’s video forecast, because, as the site boasts, “It uses the latest technology”. This means it requires the latest Adobe Flash Player, which in turn demands XP/Vista.

However the player opens and I can watch the Bank-of-Santander ad that runs before John Holmes!!!

Now obviously commercial users don’t want to exclude pre-XP web-surfers, even though they have huge resources to use afford the “latest technology”. It would be foolish of any advertiser to exclude viewers.

What I can’t work out is why Netweather needed to add “functions” that that excludes viewers? Why doesn’t Netweather want as wide a public as a commercial Website?

I would love to know if those choosing the new Website system consciously knew in advance that the new website would be restrictive/exclusive in this way?

Or did they not ask the right questions of the Vendors?

If it was deliberate, what marvelous “functions” were worth losing viewers/contributors. I never missed any such functions before.

I am a weather-geek perhaps. That does not also make me a Computer-geek.

We shouldn’t have to be both to use the site fully.

I understand that those with XP/Vista just arn't bothered by this. But if MS stop support for XP/Vista next year, will you feel like giving MS a fortune to buy Windows 3 or whatever it will be? We shouldn't be supporting this scam.

Len (Posted from my wife's XP machine)

Posted

Len, if you want the technical answer, we're using h264 encoding (the same as the bbc do with iplayer) because it offers much better quality but doesn't require that the user have a very fast internet connection to use it, yes we could use an older method but that in turn would either mean poorer quality or the exclusion of those with slower connections - which in many instances isn't by choice but because of telephone line length etc.

Technology moves on, particularly when it comes to pcs and the internet, and particularly since win98 which was really the first operating system to be net friendly. It's the same with games, I don't suppose there are many you are able to use now, or away from pc's hd television - if you want it you need an hd tv, look at the digital tv switchover - old tv's without a set top box plugged into them will be useless once the switchover has been made in a few years, and I could go on giving similar examples.

I'm not sure what you're expecting us to do to be honest, would you prefer we don't use newer technology to provide features which 99.71% of our users can use? (only 0.29% of our visitors in the last month have win98 or older).

If you don't want to support ms by using their operating systems why don't you look at linux or buy a mac - they're both compatible with everything on the site.

In terms of the forum I've tried to offer you support and advice, but you seem to be ignoring that, have you done the two things I recommended you try?

Posted

Can say I'm having no problems at all with IE8/Firefox 3.5/Chrome. Runs fine on Debian Lenny with the Epiphany browser plus plugins..

All running fast enough here on a 3.4GHz P4 with 2gig ram..

Posted

Look, take this as an example…………….

I couldn't view John Holmes's video forecast, because, as the site boasts, "It uses the latest technology". This means it requires the latest Adobe Flash Player, which in turn demands XP/Vista.

However the player opens and I can watch the Bank-of-Santander ad that runs before John Holmes!!!

Now obviously commercial users don't want to exclude pre-XP web-surfers, even though they have huge resources to use afford the "latest technology". It would be foolish of any advertiser to exclude viewers.

What I can't work out is why Netweather needed to add "functions" that that excludes viewers? Why doesn't Netweather want as wide a public as a commercial Website?

I would love to know if those choosing the new Website system consciously knew in advance that the new website would be restrictive/exclusive in this way?

Or did they not ask the right questions of the Vendors?

If it was deliberate, what marvelous "functions" were worth losing viewers/contributors. I never missed any such functions before.

I am a weather-geek perhaps. That does not also make me a Computer-geek.

We shouldn't have to be both to use the site fully.

I understand that those with XP/Vista just arn't bothered by this. But if MS stop support for XP/Vista next year, will you feel like giving MS a fortune to buy Windows 3 or whatever it will be? We shouldn't be supporting this scam.

Len (Posted from my wife's XP machine)

Len I know you are corresponding with Paul about it so I'm not interfering but you might find the link to my web site available to you-its not quite the same but its along the same lines and simply uses Youtube to insert the video into my site?

Guest Shetland Coastie

I'm using firefox and am seeing none of the issues you're describing.

Likewise, I have Firefox 3.5 and no problems.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Crikey what's wrong with RAIN RAIN RAIN's profile (see above)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Why is my post count staying the same no matter how many times I post?

Nevermind it has just changed

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted

Using Firefox 3.0.12 on XP pro, no problems with running the forum, but I don't like two features compared to the old style forum - the way image attachments appear in pop-up windows, greying out the main window in the background, I preferred the separate browser window, which allowed you to both read the post and look at the image, or at several images at once. It is now also likely that you have to scroll the page down to make the close (X) button visible, whereas before it was closable from the window's title bar or taskbar.

I also find the extra click on "Go" on the forum jump annoying and unnecessary.

Otherwise - great.