Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Record Breaking August For Rain To Come!

Posted

just to start the August rainfall as it seems their plenty more to come

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Maybe a (?) at the end of the title would be better, Tiny? :o

Posted

Some places do look set to see a fair bit of rain, but we have a long way to go before breaking records, and for parts of southeast England and East Anglia, not a lot of rain is actually forecast at the moment:

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rmgfs144sum.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It really would have to be something exceptional ( and close to utopia for me ) for the August rainfall to break the 2004 record of 245.6mm here. Still, I live in hope.

Posted

we had 27 wet days in July - this was pretty spectacular - I hope we get the same the in August!! as I don't like things to change that much.... dry... roll on wet wet wet .. I must have been a slug in another life!

Oh dear, I really hope not, :) unlike the previous contributers to this post I am a devotee of warm to hot days with wall to wall blue sky, in fact typical barbie weather where we can sit outside in the evening, so give me dry, dry, dry, with perhaps an occasional thunderstorm to water the plants.

Can't see me getting my way here this summer though - Never mind off to Southern France for a month in 6 six weeks. :)

Posted

... roll on wet wet wet .. I must have been a slug in another life!

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can see a lot of high localised totals coming about late this week but I do not expect a particularly wet August this year. In the manner of 1988, 1993, 1998 and 2007 we will probably see a wet westerly July followed by an August that remains fairly unsettled but nothing like as extreme.

(alright so July 1998 was dry, if fairly cloudy, in the south, but it was exceptionally wet in Scotland)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Our record is 2004 and 195.9 mm. Also a very large rainfall in a day 78mm on August 9th.

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Notably less wet than July is my prediction.

I think tinybill's thread title is somewhat influenced by his unrelenting pessimism. No offence but that's how I read his posts in Model Output Discussion ...

Posted

GFS 6z is a dream dry settled run with the azores high coming.

Should rephrase that 2007 was the 2nd driest august after 1995.

1995...10mm

2007...18mm

Posted

Looking quite dry at the moment in the mid to long term. Cant complain really, can you.

Actually,I can. I hate summer,warmth,sunshine,dry days,overlong hours of daylight - the whole caboodle. It has absolutely nothing going for it as far as I'm concerned. Sorry an' all that. I so wish I could invent a time machine and take me back to the heady days of June 2007 - permanently. Terminal Moraine would understand.

Posted

Actually,I can. I hate summer,warmth,sunshine,dry days,overlong hours of daylight - the whole caboodle. It has absolutely nothing going for it as far as I'm concerned. Sorry an' all that. I so wish I could invent a time machine and take me back to the heady days of June 2007 - permanently. Terminal Moraine would understand.

After about the wettest July on record, you can expect ZERO sympathy from most of us for complaining about warm and sunny now!

You've had your weather for the last few weeks, not it's the turn of us summer-preferrers ....