Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

6Yrs Ago Today 100F

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

10th August 2003 was a hot day, over 100f was reached

http://environment.uk.msn.com/climate-change/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=12716439

Do people remember what they were doing on that very hot day ?. I remember that day very well for personal reasons.

I also remember exactly what i was doing on 10th August 1982 , I past my driving test first time whistling.gif

Posted

I was driving somewhere down in Hampshire way I think.

I remember watching the car thermometer creep up all day.

I remember getting out of the car at some point early afternoon, and then swiftly getting back in with the air con on.

Beautiful day though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I was in a far cooler Portugal! Think it was "only" about 32c or 33c there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was up in Tyne & Wear (had just returned from a sauna-esque holiday in France) and witnessed a powerful thunderstorm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I spent just about the entire day on N-W!!! laugh.gif

Things never change then laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i was in tossa de mar which was a cool 36c :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The heatwave in France that finally seeped up into southern England setting off those record highs was phenomenal. Near the Loire Valley the 1st August was dry, sunny and a reasonably comfortable (for me) 27C or so. But already by the 2nd I was finding it too hot, with temperatures soaring into the mid-30s. From the 3rd to 8th inclusive every day had a high of at least 35C and a couple of days hit 40C. We (me and my parents) went home a day earlier than expected because the heat was too much.

So ironically I experienced higher temperatures than most of you- but the 10th, under that thunderstorm in Cleadon (which I'd have missed if my holiday hadn't been cut a day short) only reached 24C.

In France the heatwave continued until the 12th in the north and until the 13th or 14th in the south, with temperatures of 20-25C by night and 40C by day.

In hindisght I think it was worth it for the experience- but certainly not a very hospitable one at the time.

Posted

I was in Normandy that week and it hit 40C there, before we got a brilliant display of AcCas for a day or two, there never was a thunderstorm though, but I think we had a few near misses. I remember the following week in France being relatively cool, breezy and wet.

Edited by jshaw

Posted

It was a Sunday and I was down at Bournemouth that day. Not overly hot there as the onshore breeze kept it more comfortable with intermittant hazy sunshine. I remember the Metoffice comfirming 38.1c being the new high about 3 ish that afternoon on the news.

Posted

I remember I was visiting family in the nearby town of Sidmouth that day and clearly remember watching the news about the record temps in the afternoon. I just rememer it being very hot that day.

Got back to my house a few miles inland in the afternoon about 4-5pm and remember my thermometer i had then which was on a fence in the shade was reading 32-33C.

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

I remember only that as the day progressed it got quieter and quieter, by about 13.30, it was almost still and almost silent, even the birds gave up!

Posted

I was at home that day - my thermometer 'only' managed to reach 35.0 because it clouded over in the afternoon, but Reading University, to the east of town, recorded 36.8 if I recall correctly.

The weather that weekend finally tipped me over the edge - the next week I went out and bought a car with air-conditioning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Ahh... I remember that day.. I was younger then.. I was at my friend's house in the pool trying to cool down, I remember turning on the hosepipe and spraying the patio, and the water that came out was boiling.. and then it started steaming on the floor as the floor was so hot. I also remember going out at about 8pm when it was still above 30C and feeling hot still..

I would love for that to happen again

Posted

I joined net weather on that day to report the record temperature (along with numorous others)

Was in Central London working and the temp actually peaked about 1.5 hours earlier that normal because of cloud cover coming in from a cold front.

From what I recall from accounts of the front firing in North Yorkshire, it remains one of the UK storm events of the 21st century (to date)

I was probably sitting around feeling FAR too hot! Thankfully its a lot cooler 6 years on!

Ahh... I remember that day.. I was younger then..

That's strange, most people were older in 2003 :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

On Sunday 10th August 2003 I was in Cornwall staying at Trenython Manor near Par.

It was a 'lazy' day just lounging around by the lodge and keeping an eye on the Ceefax page 404 results, watching the temperature rising in London. It was 30c at 10 am and 38c at 3 pm. It was also very hot and sunny in Cornwall and 28~29c was reached in the afternoon. It was a hot evening when visiting Mevagissey, just around the other side of St Austell bay, and I remember quite a lot of cirrocumulus and altocumulus castellanus later which turned red at sunset. A great start to the holiday and the heat was enjoyable as it was 'dry' heat and not that humid stuff.

post-7417-12499175792834_thumb.jpg

Posted

I was sat on the South Circular near East Sheen in a new VW Golf I'd just picked up (wrapped it 3 wks later - *sigh*), the temp' gauge was reading 42c !!!

I was sweating like a footballer in a spelling test.......

Posted

I remember it well as my Godson was Christened that day and it was ridiculously hot in the church.

I have a lovely christening card with barely legible writing due to the amount I was sweating in my suit :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

was way too hot wed 6th-sat 9th aug 03, 4 days in a row 30+, by the 10th it broke down from the west, my max on the 10th just 22oC, as the front had arrived

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I saw it a couple of weeks back but not in this country :whistling:

Posted

I remember the day well. We actually had a thunderstorm!

Wasn't nearly so hot here thankfully. Only 28.5c

Was quite at work though and spent most of the day on the internet ......

Thunderstorms here on August 10th 2003 and much cooler than down in the SE, for midlanders August 3rd 1990 was a much more memorable day with all time record highs recorded at midland stations includng the all time UK official record before 2003 in cheltenham gloucestershire (37.1C), it was 35C here the highest in my area ever recorded, seems like a long time ago now and i can't see me getting 35C anytime soon with how our summers are going.

Posted

We also had an afternoon storm on the 10th which stopped temps getting as high as the day before (35c was recorded here on 9th) and although it was kind of annoying to be missing out on all the fun further south, I can't deny I was relieved that it was somewhat cooler.

Incidentally, the 13mm recorded on the afternoon of the 10th was the only recorded rainfall here all month! :whistling:

Edited by Gavin P