Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Eastbourne Airbourne

Posted

Today I decided to visit the 17th Eastbourne Airbourne 4-day event, allegedly the "World's biggest FREE seafront airshow".

So, upon arrival this was the scene on Eastbourne beach around 1pm:

DSC_0795-1.jpg

The weather was quite warm with a gentle breeze, but very cloudy and overcast. We wandered around for ages trying to find a good viewing point, but the crowds were insane! :D

A few shots from the various attractions around the seafront:

DSC_0797.jpg

Bomb disposal machine! :D

DSC_0808.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

Conditions started to brighten as the show started. The first display kicked off at 14:13 with a flypast from a F-86 Sabre:

DSC_0833.jpg

Next, some contrails and aerobatics from the next flypast - Gnat Pairs- which kicked off at 14:22 - notice how quickly the cloud has cleared,with the misty low cloud forming a distinct line a certain distance away from the coastline.

DSC_0867.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

DSC_0879.jpg

Shortly followed by the P-51 Mustang at 14:36:

DSC_0899.jpg

DSC_0920.jpg

and, this one was a shocker! I'm not sure how many people on the seafront were prepared for the noise issued by a Typhoon!:lol:

Boy was it loud, much louder than thunder, it shook the air and the ground all around, and you could smell the fuel in the air, despite them being some fair distance away from you! Never heard anything like it in my life!

DSC_0925.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

The Typhoon display lasted for 10 minutes - 10 minutes of deafening roars as it flew past!

Thankfully, a much quieter and peaceful sound from these little fellows, representing the "Battle of Britain Memorial Flight" which kicked off at 15:00:

DSC_0955.jpg

DSC_0976.jpg

DSC_0979.jpg

Next up at 15:17 was the Swift Glider team - the glider is attached to the top plane via a string:

DSC_1032.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

This was followed by the Team Guinot Wingwalkers display at 15:38 - some impressive stuff! You wouldn't find me doing this! :D (all female wingwalkers too!)

DSC_1064.jpg

A rather daring seagull tries to intersect the two planes, nearly causing a mid-air collision! :D:lol:

DSC_1079.jpg

Here, the top plane is upside down with the wing walker upside down,above the 2nd plane. I thought/hoped that the wingwalkers may attempt to make hand contact (as seen on BBC News in the last couple of weeks)but sadly that wasn't the case:

DSC_1091.jpg

Some aerobatics from the wingwalkers:

DSC_1102.jpg

DSC_1108.jpg

and a rather fortunate shot - look how close they are! :D

DSC_1109.jpg

Final aerobatics before they left:

DSC_1110.jpg

Now the turn of the Hurricane, kicking-off at 15:55:

DSC_1131.jpg

DSC_1134.jpg

A brief pause, then 4 local lifeboats were sent out to form a circle just off the shoreline, which would then form the area the parachutists should aim to land in:

DSC_1137.jpg

Conditions were a lot windier at this stage than they were at the start of the show - they sent a test from the plane to work out which way the wind would blow the parachutists:

DSC_1141.jpg

After a few minutes two parachutists jump out of the plane...

DSC_1145.jpg

and do some aerobatics:

DSC_1147.jpg

whilst advertising for Spitfire on his parachute :D

DSC_1151.jpg

and finally landing perfectly in the middle of the circle:

DSC_1159.jpg

Next the 2nd parachutist attempted to land in the circle, but sadly landed much further to the left:

DSC_1163.jpg

That left parachutists 3 & 4 to land:

DSC_1167.jpg

Parachutist 3 made quite a splash with his landing: (notice parachutist 4 on the far left)

DSC_1172.jpg

Parachutist 4 lands:

DSC_1174.jpg

Therefore, only the first parachutist landed in the circle, to an applause from the audience on the beach.

Now the bit everyone was waiting for - the Red Arrows! :D :D

In fact we had been waiting quite a while from the clean-up of the parachutists, that hardly anyone (except those that had been before)were prepared for the entrance the Red Arrows made!

They flew directly overhead from the town centre towards the sea - so basically from behind us. If I knew they were going to do it, I might've had my camera ready for them but sadly I didn't!

Anyway, enough talking some more photos:

Forming a classic loop just after their entrance:

DSC_1188.jpg

DSC_1197.jpg

DSC_1230.jpg

DSC_1238.jpg

DSC_1249.jpg

DSC_1295.jpg

DSC_1300.jpg

DSC_1305.jpg

DSC_1315.jpg

There were a further 4 displays after the Red Arrows, but by this stage, after 3 hours in the sun, I was burnt like a lobster! :D

So I headed home.

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Very nice shots there MW , and i have to agree the Typhoon (Euro-fighter) was amazing and the roar from its engines gave the impression of ripping the surrounding air into shreds and pounded of ya chest with the force of a thousand pound hammer..!!!

Glad to see the Lancaster flying alongside the Spitfire and Hurricane in the Battle of Britain Memorial fly-by as the bomber was absent from the Sunderland airshow this year.

Like the 'Kamikaze' seagull, i got a shot of a herring gull racing the Typhoon from Sunderland last month.

Posted

I didn't see you there MW?!! :whistling:

If I can get through the throngs of people today, I might get some shots up on Beachy Head when I'm dog-walking this afternoon. I actually managed to park on the seafront late yesterday afternoon to see a couple of displays, I might whack some photos up here later.

Posted

I didn't see you there MW?!! :whistling:

If I can get through the throngs of people today, I might get some shots up on Beachy Head when I'm dog-walking this afternoon. I actually managed to park on the seafront late yesterday afternoon to see a couple of displays, I might whack some photos up here later.

I stood on the slope just to the east/left of the Wish Tower Restaurant- pretty much in central position for the planes :)

Posted

OK, a couple from me - the town was absolutely heaving, I just hope it brings in some revenue to make up for last years fiasco short fall!!!

post-6667-12504428541047_thumb.jpg

post-6667-1250442801535_thumb.jpg

post-6667-12504427791976_thumb.jpg

post-6667-12504427661263_thumb.jpg

post-6667-12504427386571_thumb.jpg

post-6667-12504427208488_thumb.jpg

post-6667-12504426999031_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Most excellent shots there MW. I would have liked to have seen the show myself but completey forgot about it. :D I am having flying lessons so the whole aviation theme is of much interest :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looks like a great day, always helps when you have the weather for it.

Weston used to have free airshows. Not sure why they stopped, wished they would come back again, made for a good day out.