Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Interesting West Coast Weather

Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Hi all

These two photos and more were taken by a friend of mine holidaying on the west coast of Cumbria. Whitehaven I think, and she spotted what she thought was a tornado. The photos are good photos , they are interesting and show what sea thermals can do. I would have been happy to shoot them myself.

post-2466-12506294657053_thumb.jpg

post-2466-12506294527478_thumb.jpg

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi all

I would be interested in what you all think about these shots and the possible cause. It wasn't a really hot day and it doesn't look like there was a storm of any sorts. So what do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

That 2nd photo shows a funnel cloud-Not a Tornado.

Plus any tornado out at water would be classed as a Waterspout.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Nice shots, particularly the one that shows the cloud and the funnel, I like shots like that.

I hope she reported this sighting to TORRO, they deal with all sightings and add them to their database.

It was indeed a funnel cloud as Blizzards said, and would have been a waterspout had it fully extended, waterspouts are probably more common than actual tornados on land in the UK. I've seen a MASSIVE waterspout just off the shores of where I live, I've had 2-3 funnel clouds aswell over my area, and best of all, an F3 Tornado, 3 miles from my Holiday home in Kissimmee, Florida in 1998 Feb 22-23. I tell you that day and night was just like hell had been released, and god forgive me bless those that lost their lives, but I was as excited as I'll ever be...I was running about outside, in the Lightning, seen a glimpse of the F3 everytime the Sky lit up.

Posted

Carlisle really had a good thunderstorm last night, the thunder was loud and the lightning was brilliant. It last for about 45mins, with gusty winds and the rain was terrible i could not see the bottom of the street. Not had one like that for a long time.

Posted

That 2nd photo shows a funnel cloud-Not a Tornado.

Plus any tornado out at water would be classed as a Waterspout.

Yes I mentioned to her that it wasn't a tornado but it was a funnel cloud and as I said I would have been happy to snap them myself. Had I have seen it,I would have been rushing for my camera, but then anything weatherwise pleases me. She asked it they were worth post on a site I said that thought they certainly were.

Tom

Posted

Nice shots, particularly the one that shows the cloud and the funnel, I like shots like that.

I hope she reported this sighting to TORRO, they deal with all sightings and add them to their database.

It was indeed a funnel cloud as Blizzards said, and would have been a waterspout had it fully extended, waterspouts are probably more common than actual tornados on land in the UK. I've seen a MASSIVE waterspout just off the shores of where I live, I've had 2-3 funnel clouds aswell over my area, and best of all, an F3 Tornado, 3 miles from my Holiday home in Kissimmee, Florida in 1998 Feb 22-23. I tell you that day and night was just like hell had been released, and god forgive me bless those that lost their lives, but I was as excited as I'll ever be...I was running about outside, in the Lightning, seen a glimpse of the F3 everytime the Sky lit up.

What a place to have a holiday home. I have decided that if I win the lottery I will buy a place out in Kansas. One with a front porch and a swing on it so I can sit in the evenings playing my guitar drinking a cool bud just watching the lightning. This place can be my base camp for the whole of the chase season. All my friends can come and stay, on the down days we could BBQ, heck I would be popular.

Oh well back to reality.

Tom

well done Tom..

very nice..never Seen a funnel in the UK

I like them too but I only posted them for a friend. I saw a brief funnel whilst sat watching a storm near Tebay services, Cumbria I got brief snatch of it on video but that was through a gap in the clouds. Nothing to write home about.

Tom