Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports August 09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This month has been exceptionally quiet for storms, but perhaps a chance of more in the way of reports over the coming fortnight.

In Norwich some altocumulus castellanus sprouted up into cumulonimbus cells and gave a few short sharp showers, the first of which produced a couple of rumbles of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

This month has been exceptionally quiet for storms, but perhaps a chance of more in the way of reports over the coming fortnight.

In Norwich some altocumulus castellanus sprouted up into cumulonimbus cells and gave a few short sharp showers, the first of which produced a couple of rumbles of thunder.

Yes, my report for that event was "Storm report - crashing thunder at 11.08, another crash a few minutes later and a few more rumbles associated with a short but sharp shower."

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A pretty strong thunderstorm verging on severe (by British standards) with strong squally winds and frequent lightning quite scary especially for the young kids next door..!!

Lasted around 40 mins.

Edited by NL

Posted

brief thunderstorm here in morecambe bay around 6ish this eve. approx 7 flashes of lightning. some heavyish rain, whole event lasted about 45 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A pretty strong thunderstorm verging on severe (by British standards) with strong squally winds and frequent lightning quite scary especially for the young kids next door..!!

Lasted around 40 mins.

Much the same here in Cleadon.

This front has resembled the lines of thunderstorms we occasionally get from Spanish plumes- spreading north up the western side into Lancashire and then taking a sharp right into Yorkshire and Tyne & Wear. I recall that the occurrences of 2 June 2002, 10 August 2003 and 31 August 2005 all gave longer-lasting thunderstorms, but this one was unusual for the intensity of the rain- it came up as bright orange on the Netweather radar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

brief thunderstorm here in morecambe bay around 6ish this eve. approx 7 flashes of lightning. some heavyish rain, whole event lasted about 45 minutes.

Pretty much the same here in Kendal. Rain was torrential with flooding along the river Kent fire service were out pumping water from the cellars. I had to get out my step ladders to clean my gutters I looked out and notice they were blocked. It was coming over the top. The family next door must have thought I was barmy up on metal steps in a thunderstorm. Had to be done.

Tom

Posted

Just had a humdinger of a storm here. Frequent fork lightning, and torrential rain. Could see it brewing up about 20 minutes before it hit. It did prove beyond reasonable doubt though that it was now time to have my mid terraced guttering replaced at the front, as raging waterfalls came crashing down the brickwork lol

Suns out now, a very breif but mighty impressive thunder storm. First and probably only one of this summer, wonder if the fat lady is on for an encore? Radars looking good :D

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Dad reported a lively storm in Coventry around 1530 today.I saw a flash of lightning to the distant east yesterday evening here.