Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pack Away The Barbecue - The End Of Summer Is Here, Met Office Admits

Posted

Do you think thats it summer is over? after reading this article it would give the impression http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/6054782/Pack-away-the-barbecue---the-end-of-summer-is-here-Met-Office-admits.html

I haven't made a record of the statistics but my impression that the south of France has been much warmer this summer than last for example the temperature at Toulouse was 39C yesterday and the authorities are declaring "une canicule" in a number of departments.

According to my understanding of reading the description in French, this is a situation where the daily max exceeds 30C each day and the min is not below 18C in the north of France and exceeds 35C each day and does not fall below 20C and mostly occurs from mid July to mid August, though it can spread outside these boundaries. The air stream is generally slack so as time moves on the heat progressively builds up and can become a health hazard. The summer of 2003 is an example of this and I expect it would be fair to say that we had something of a Canicule here as well that year.

Although July was wet here the temperatures were well up to average, probably because the mins were higher.

Hopefully we can look forward to some nice settled weather in September and October with pleasantly warm temperatures at times.

As for the summer of 2010 my new house in Languedoc is being fitted with air con and a squirty water pool in the garden so we should get some relief from the Canicule, then have barbies and drink wine to our hearts content.

Posted

Oh, yes, Autumn is here alright. It arrived today! It has been very windy here today and I was/wasn't surprised to see veritable blankets of leaves under some trees. Not ALL trees, just some. But as I reported on another thread recently, some trees are turning here.

Oh, happy day! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

well my take on it all is i dont think summer has been a complete wash out but by far not as predicted.

as for bonuses well i have to laugh because people on net weather have done a better job than the met.

and anyone expecting september to be a bbq autumn then think again because i think this is very much in the balance.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

unfortunately, i won my vitual bet...that we wouldnt get 3 consecutive days of 25c+ , and that was a month ago. 'summer' in terms of sunshine/heat finished on july 2nd.

If everyone wants a good summer in Uk head to somewhere more reliable i.e. Essex / Kent. I live in Chelmsford and the average max temp so far in August is almost 25c ! That's not bad atall considering July was nearer 22.5c and we haven't had averages that good since July 2006.

If anyone wants to see my log so far let me know its been pretty good with most days sunny and very little rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Summer is over, rejoice rejoice B)

Posted

May and June were fairly good here. Dry, warm and pleasant days. Went downhill afterwards.

I have lost all faith in the Meto..be it Tv forecasts or plain website readings. I now do my own "forecasts", and even they aren't very good, but I'll give MetO a run for their "super-computer" money right now.

Posted

My BBQ is staying out...with 25/26C forecast for Sunday we look like we will be able to have yet another BBQ - had around 10 now this summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tbh the only real rubbish month was July imo for this location. June was a little up and down especially at the begining but the 2nd half was very nice. August so far has been pretty nice too excepot the first few days. Its been pleasantly warm and sunny on many days especially recently. Yesterdays hot weather was an example. B)

Posted

Summer is over, rejoice rejoice :yahoo:

I am. I am. :)

Posted

2009 - The Lost Summer! e018.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Tbh the only real rubbish month was July imo for this location. June was a little up and down especially at the begining but the 2nd half was very nice. August so far has been pretty nice too excepot the first few days. Its been pleasantly warm and sunny on many days especially recently. Yesterdays hot weather was an example. :)

Yes I quite agree with your sentiments. This summer has been fairly average overall and that is more so to do with the wet july more than anything. This August has been quite pleasant and has saved the summer from being pulled into the poor category. Granted those in the North and West will hold a different view, but people in the SE really dont have much to complain about really, where the best weather and storms have been this year.

Posted

I agree with djajb, we've had a fairly dull and breezy/gusty spring into summer up here in Darlington with only a handfull of cloudless and/or very warm days. We went on a weeks holiday in mid July and headed to the Essex coast where the weather was glorious compared to the deluge that was flooding the north. We also got a brilliant late evening thunderstorm over the sea at Clacton on Thurs 16th July! Seeing as the pattern at the moment seems unlikely to change we are again heading south-east in early September. drinks.gif

Posted

We have had a lot of warm and mainly dry weather over the past 2 weeks, but certainly not that hot, and not really sunny.

Same here.Hardly a drop of rain since the first few days of the month.