Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Was The Summer For You?

Posted

The worst summer I can remember.

This is my fourth Summer in Northern Ireland, and I;ve told the wife that if we have another one like this, we are off.

I'm sure records will be broken in the North West for dullness and wetness.

Horrible depressing stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

Great summer here. June July August, all sunny, especially August, in which the duration of sunshine must be approaching 280-300 hours. A truly dry summer - total is 113mm for all 3 months - including about 40mm from French Import thunderstorms. July had a few cool showery days but we got away with it really.

So - dry, warm and sunny overall, with August the best of the bunch. The most enjoyable summer weatherwise for a long long time.

Posted

Another disappointment I'm afraid- too much cloud and rain and yet again no lasting warm, dry and sunny spell.

June-very mixed. Fine first couple of days, then that February-like weekend was followed by a fortnight of cool, showery nothingness. Those days in the final week where it was dull, drizzly and dank with the temp around 25C I hope I never see the like of in Britain again . Heat is no good without sun!

July- After a fine first 2 or 3 days where the sun finally emerged, it turned into a month to rival July 2007 or 1988. Shocking number of rain days, and after the fifth it never topped 22C.

August- a really frustrating month which frankly took the mickey in the way it was so often fine in that pampered SE corner but cloudy and boring, at times wet, everywhere else. Yet again no hot days- the best it could manage was a 3-4 day spell of 22-23C with sunny intervals midmonth. Last week really short on sunshine. The only good thing to say for it was that it wasn't quite as bad as August 2008.

Posted

no stats for London, but on the whole a great summer. dry, bright, warm/hot and on the whole one of the better years. night temps have meant the ceiling fans have been used nearly every night in the bedrooms

Posted

Best summer for years here to be fair. Not particularly dry - but definitely warm for long periods, and mild nights too. Not something you readily associate with southeast Scotland. Have been out without jacket/coat for many many weeks - something that's not happened for years.

Can't say that I really rated it, it might have just been a little better than the last two summers but no real long settled periods - there was a time not too long ago when you could almost bank on good weather lasting through part of July and August, the ground would get bone dry, the grass would turn brown and hosepipe ban permitting we would water the garden in the balmy evenings and perhaps have a barbie.

It seems sometimes that we get stuck in runs of weather for a while, lets hope it changes for 2010.

Meanwhile I will be off to southern France in a fortnight hoping to catch up on what I have missed here, though I thinh they had it a little too warm with temps up in the middle and high 30's.

Posted

Well last year would have taken some beating

And yes I think it was even worse.

Apart from the 1st week of June, it has rained almost every day in some part of Ireland.

Windy too most of the time. In fact apart from the extra daylight it may aswell be Winter.

And the best part is we have Autumn and Winter proper all ahead of us :rolleyes:

Posted

Great summer here with just a handful of days that were below 21c. Very dry indeed with just 87mm recorded since June 1st and 104mm since the beginning of May. Its tinder dry here with brown grass and trees showing signs of drought similar to 2003. The heat hasn't been particularly intense with a high of 30.7c but the number of warm and sunny days is actually higher than summer 2006 which had periods of unsettled weather between the intensely hot spells. What has really set this summer apart are the variations in weather locally. I have heard people talking about a poor or average summer as close as west London.

Posted

Apart from the last week of June and first 4 days of July along with a scattering of warmish pleasant days i.e. the likes of 25th July spring to mind, the rest of the summer in this part of the country has been quite poor, not as wet as 2007 and not as cold as both 2007 and 2008, but all the same far from even a half decent summer.

High summer i.e. what I call the period mid July to mid August was particularly poor with no real warmth and lack of dry sunny days,

June was the best month as a whole, July was very wet and cool, August wet and very dull, yet another forgettable summer.

Posted

June- Good

July- Poor

August- Average (i suppose)

June was nice, i enjoyed the short heatwave, July was crap with too much rain, August was very average indeed which for the Uk isnt that good, plenty of sunny wet and cloudy days, there has been a lot more wind in August than in any of the summer months, unfortunatley there has been no notable heat since June which is a shame as i was stook indoors during the heat and by time i was on holiday it wasnt hot enough to sunbather. Aaaah well roll on Winter now, im tired of looking out for a 2hour southerly plume.

Posted

Statistically, this summer had an average daily maximum temperature of 18.8C, and average daily minimum of 10.1C and 369.8mm of rain. The highest temperature was 28.6C on July 2nd, and the lowest temperature was 2.1C on June 12th, with the wettest day being July 17th when 57mm of rain fell.

My garden hasn't received much in the way of attention from my hosepipe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

June was much too warm and, although there were several heavy falls of rain, there were far too many dry days.

July was a great improvement but ( there's always a 'but') my particular area missed all the torrential downpours enjoyed by many others in the locality and we still couldn't manage a really cool month.

August was agony as constant rain and wind streamed across areas a couple of hundred miles north and north west while we basked in relative warmth and drought almost throughout the month.

Posted

Not far away from OON, summer mean max 16.1C, mean min 9.2C, estimated rainfall going by nearby stations just over 400mm. Highest max 25.2C with lowest min of 2.5C.

Summer mean temp of 12.7C

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

I've heard little good weather news from the family in Wales. A brief, warm spell sometime in June which they enjoyed. Aside from that, another poor year. It's the third consecutive August where they've had lower sunshine hours than us (this year: 175 vs 145), which was winter vs summer is kind of pitiful. It's almost put me off visiting home in August again - though I hold out hope for a good year around the corner!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

thought the summer was good, very few cool days, hottest day was 28.2oC on 1st july, wimbledon being hottest spell, typical modern summer really, past middle of aug turns cooler, no 25oC or higher after 2 july, but i always say june is best month,

Posted

a good summer for East Yorkshire , with lots of warm sunny days in June and Aug ( July was not great anywhere by the sound of it )

( better than 2007 and 2008 in terms of rainfall and temperature )

Posted

It's been a better summer than the previous 2 here, which in fairness isn't a difficult target but after a very nice June it's often been cloudy and showery with only a few spells of more than a day or so of settled/warm weather.

Posted

Like another poster local to here it has been a very good Summer, with temperatures above average for June and August and average for July, rainfall was average for June, above average for july and exceptionally below average for August and sunshine was above average over the 3 months.

June pips it for hot weather with temps in the 30's but August wins for sunshine and just 9.7mm of rain for the month.

July wins it for the storms for me with a storm a week sometimes two at the start of the month.

BBQ's = 9 (1 in 2008) and (2 in 2007)

Storms = 14 (3 in 2008) and (2 in 2007)

So a great summer for me and even yesterday the sun shone all day and the temps was nudging 80f

Paul S

Posted

its interesting to read the accounts of summer from folk

it does show the NW-SE split pretty well, East Anglia, in particular seems to have done very well; for here its been better than the last 2 with June pretty good and August fairly warm, July of course was wet but not cool; on average temps, just a touch above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Just as bad as last year, very very depressing weather here this summer. When it has actually been hot, it has been too uncomfortably humid to enjoy it. I can remember no more than three of four days where we have had a nice clear blue sky, it has been the same dull, overcast blanket of cloud pretty much throughout the June-August period. And no storms, just the odd distant rumble of thunder and no lightning. (once in June IIRC, it just hasn't got hot enough to set anything off)

There doesn't seem to be a consistancy in the good weather anymore. It might be my memory playing tricks but I remember in summers past you were pretty much guaranteed at least a spell of four/ five days of good fine weather. Now it is one nice day followed by 14 rubbish ones!

Don't think I can take another summer here like this. Utter rubbish!

Posted

a good summer for East Yorkshire , with lots of warm sunny days in June and Aug ( July was not great anywhere by the sound of it )

( better than 2007 and 2008 in terms of rainfall and temperature )

Exactly the same here great hay made in late June (almost drought conditions, crops saved by rain in early July) and early August. Harvest completed in the last 10 days of August with several 48 hour dry periods as you try to cut on the second dry day as the grain has finally dried out and drying charges are therefore lower.post-2744-12517964300514_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12517964065506_thumb.jpg Cattle did well at grass spending lots of time lying on dry ground putting on weight and although wet in July it was fairly warm and they did not lose condition.

Lost one batch of hay in July as it turned grey before we could get a dry day to rescue it and lost some heads of barley(about5%) on the exposed hills of some fields on the 21st of August in the strong to gale force winds on that day All in all it has been a better summer than the last two.

Posted

Looke like an east-west split overall with us lying just to the east of the dividing line (slightly better than average on the whole, despite a dreadful July). In general the warmth was evenly spread and consistent, particularly in August, with few hot days but many days with slightly above average temperatures.

June: temperatures above average, rainfall below average and sunshine near average. Hot at the start and end of the month, rather cool mid month.

July: pretty dismal after a hot start. Cooler, wetter and cloudier than average. Statistically not much different from 2007 and 2008 but with more wet days than either.

August: warm and dry. Not sure about how we did for sunshine, but probably near average (cloudy earlier in the month, improved later). Probably our best August since 2003.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The pile of ironing attests to a pretty good summer for the last few weeks (I'll only tackle it if it's raining :lol:).

I don't think EA has had any serious rain for the last 2 weeks. The stream is dry and willows and poplars are shedding their leaves (they like it wet).

I've liked this summer a lot as there haven't been any fixed weather systems — weeks and weeks of hot dry or cold wet or just dull weather — it's switch-backed around nicely with a lot of variety for us. All in all, an excellent year weatherwise, all we need now is some autumn storms turning into a cold and clear November and December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Overall, quite a good summer for me...May/June had a fair amount of dry warm weather. July was particularly good (from my warped perspective) - FIVE thunder days but also plenty of sunshine, courtesy of the sea-breeze undercut. August has continued the general theme (minus the thunder); although, it has rained on-and-off...

But, I guess the most important factor this summer, has been the lack of true easterlies and their associated haar? That and the fohn-effect, due to persistent SW winds, has contributed to our better-than-average temperatures and sunshine totals...

In summary then, enormously better than the past two years! :lol: